Old 01-14-2019, 05:13 AM   #1
dodika
Human being with feelings

Default VST3 Scan Problem

I posted this on the bug thread as well, but realized it's probably not the right place for it:

"Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, so I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong place...never used a forum before, haha.

I have recently run into an issue on Reaper and wondered if someone could help me out.
I've searched the forum for an answer, but I couldn't seem to find a thread on this particular issue.

I've managed to mess up Reaper on two different computers in the exact same way, so I must be doing something wrong (or right, depending on how you look at it). I use EastWest Play 6 for most of my projects. I also use CCleaner to speed up my system (I've read that's a bit outdated, but it works for me).
As far as I can tell, this is what happened both times: I used CCleaner before using Reaper. Then I loaded Reaper, started a project and loaded instruments into Play. Then out of nowhere, I get the 'Your PC has run into a problem' blue screen.

When I restart, Reaper works fine, all my other VSTs work fine, except for Play. Reaper doesn't want to load it and tells me there's something wrong with the VST files. This is true for both Play VSTi and VST3.

Now here's the weird part. If I just re-scan/clear cache for the VSTs, Reaper runs into the same problem. However, if I mess around a bit with the VST compatibility check boxes underneath (doesn't seem to matter which one, which is even weirder) and exit preferences, load preferences again and THEN re-scan/clear cache, Play is suddenly working and I can load everything just fine.

When I exit Reaper, and load it again, I have to go through this process again for Play to work.

I'm not an expert at computers, so I won't hazard a guess as to what's gone wrong, but it seems to me that both Reaper and Play work fine, but there must be some bug in the system that's causing them not to communicate properly. Could my use of CCleaner be the problem? Or is it a weird memory problem?

Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks in advance!
D"
dodika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:48 AM   #2
DarkStar

Other users have reported issues with Play too. But getting a blue screen is excessive. And CCleaner may be affecting things too.

I would uninstall / reinstall EW Play. Does it have a standalone program? If so, make sure that that loads and runs OK. And, can you try out the VST2 plug-ins in another host? I do not know if there any advantages in using the VST3 plug-ins.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:49 PM   #3
dodika

Hi DarkStar, thanks for the reply!

If CCleaner is affecting anything, what do you think is the most likely problem? I don't really know how CCleaner clears the system, but as far as I'm aware it doesn't do anything to VST files!

I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling PLAY, and Reaper too, as well as deleting Reaper's .ini and vst files, etc. Nothing works, the same problem occurs (Reaper doesn't load Play and crashes, unless I do it the round-about way). :/

The standalone program of Play doesn't work either and doesn't want to load when I run it.
Initially I thought the problem lies with the Play software's .VST3 and .dll files, as if they've become corrupted somehow, but I wonder if it's actually my PC's system that's corrupted, since the same problem occurs when I reinstall. If there was a problem between Reaper and Play, I imagine reinstallation would fix it, as they worked perfectly fine for weeks until the blue screen appeared.

I'll try the VSTi in another host and let you know what happens, though judging from the above I don't think it'll work there either. I'd like to stick to Reaper anyway, as I've been using it for years now.

(p.s.: Interesting side-note is that if I install an earlier version of Play, 4.3 instead of 6, this problem resolves. The only problem is that 4.3 doesn't support Composer Cloud so I can't use most of the instruments).
dodika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:29 AM   #4
DarkStar

I have never used CCleaner so cannot comment on what it does.

From what you have said, Play 6 is the problem. ANd it almost certainly will not work in another host. Go back to v4.3 for the moment and get EW to test / fix Play 6 in Reaper.

A Play 6 user might also chime in.