Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 02-18-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
invasion21
Human being with feelings

Default Edirol HQ Orchestral VSTi for Mac?

Does anybody know if Edirol HQ Orchestral VSTi available for Mac? Or if you can suggest some similar Mac instruments (freeware is better, of course)?
invasion21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
parr

No, Edirol Orchestral is not in mac. I miss it a bit (I swtiched form pc to mac). I have Garritan which is ok, I prefer the sounds of E. Orch. Garritan sounds need more work (articulations, etc).

Notion SLE and Garritan is a terrific combination (although reiewre is reaper is currently unusable). Although maybe it is better to go directly to Notion 3 without buying Garritan.

You can also try IK Miroslav.

You can also try the free sonatina soundfont:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...light=sonatina

but you need a sf player (I'm pretty sure there must be a free one for mac)

good luck!
parr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:48 AM   #3
invasion21

Thanks a lot! Will try Sonatina!
invasion21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:00 AM   #4
jm67

I got excited when I saw Sonatina mentioned, but then I tried (and failed) to find a SFZ compatible soundfont player for MacOSX. I have Bismark BS-1, but it only plays SF2 format. Anyone know if there is a SFZ player for Mac out there somewhere?
jm67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #5
rrgane

Quote:
Originally Posted by invasion21 View Post
Does anybody know if Edirol HQ Orchestral VSTi available for Mac? Or if you can suggest some similar Mac instruments (freeware is better, of course)?
i wouldn't get too fixated on Edirol HQ Orchestral VSTi .. it isn't that it is bad, but in today's string library market it really doesn't hold it's own anymore. There are cheaper, and better libraries out there, Garritan has been suggested, East West Quantum Leap, Kirk Hunter, Vienna String Library, Session Strings.

My issues with Edirol is in comparison to newer libraries, Edirol comes off sounding Ensonique Mirage-ish; kind of dead at the top and dark. Not that there isn't a place for that, but my first impulse is to place very silky and bright strings, with as much character as possible, and Edirol seems a bit too "nice" and "polite".
rrgane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
52 tele

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm67 View Post
I got excited when I saw Sonatina mentioned, but then I tried (and failed) to find a SFZ compatible soundfont player for MacOSX. I have Bismark BS-1, but it only plays SF2 format. Anyone know if there is a SFZ player for Mac out there somewhere?
Get free sample tank 2.5 and there is a conversion for sonatina that plays in sample tank and is flawless!
52 tele is offline   Reply With Quote