Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-26-2019, 01:18 PM   #1
ezbassplayer
Human being with feelings

Default Plugin settings when transferring files to a new PC:

I'm slowly planning on getting a new PC, probably sometime next year, but I wonder if it's possible somehow to transfer all the stored plugin settings I have.
ezbassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:31 PM   #2
toleolu

The simple answer is yes. The tricky part is getting all that stuff moved over. Since you're not planning on replacing your computer until next year, start organizing your data now so you have everything you need in a few folders that you can copy to the new computer.
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:03 PM   #3
ezbassplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
The simple answer is yes. The tricky part is getting all that stuff moved over. Since you're not planning on replacing your computer until next year, start organizing your data now so you have everything you need in a few folders that you can copy to the new computer.

So it's about finding the .xpf files?
Old 03-26-2019, 02:13 PM   #4
toleolu

Wasn't sure what a .xpf file was so I looked it up and it referenced something about Linux MultiMedia Studio. Are you on a Linux system?
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:41 PM   #5
lunker

If you are looking for the user files that go with the plugins (custom skins, libraries of users presets, wavetable or sample files, MIDI clips, and whatnot), my suggestion is to find out where each vendor/plugin saves them, and make a list of files/folders to copy once you have the new PC.

Wait until you have the plugin installed on the new PC, so that any changes and/or new files you make between now and then will also get copied over.

Each plugin will be different. If it is not well documented where they store their files, try saving something from within the plugin, and see what directory it takes you to.

And make sure to keep that information, so that you don't have to do it all over again for the next new PC.

One of the best things I ever did (I think) was when I got a new PC, I created a new directory just for storing information about installing each program/plugin (where to down load the files, the license file, any user account/password information needed to register it, a file with basic instructions about which files/folders to copy from the old PC, etc.) In most cases, I also kept a copy of the actual installation files, unless it was HUGE or from a reputable vendor that I think won't disappear and leave me without a way to download the installer. Anytime I buy a new plugin or update an existing one, I make sure to add it to that directory.

I am about to build a new PC myself, and looking over the folder, I think I will have a very easy time getting it all set up because it is so organized from the last time.

Last edited by lunker; 03-26-2019 at 03:00 PM.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:23 PM   #6
foxAsteria

If you install everything with the exact same drive letters and paths, Reaper won't know anything has changed.

Since most of my plugins are standalone dll files, I just copy the whole directory to the same place in the new system. The ones that require installation will let you know either when Reaper scans them or when you go to use them.

For Reaper config and presets, you can export it in prefs/general or just migrate your User directory to the new installation. User data is stored in your user folder/appdata/roaming/reaper (Reaper resource folder).

If you've created any fx folders in the browser, make sure your plugins are in place before running Reaper the first time or you may have to repopulate the contents.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:18 AM   #7
ezbassplayer

Default Just bringing this thread back to life:

Are the plugin settings stored in the file itself or not?
Old 07-05-2020, 07:53 PM   #8
foxAsteria

If by "plugin settings," you mean presets, then yes. You can always test it by doing a portable install (check the box while running the installer) and then importing the saved config there.