Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 12-13-2018, 09:10 AM   #1
birdman
Human being with feelings

Default Another great mystery of life

I open project #1. I record a vocal track. I save and close the project.

I open project #2, a completely separate project. The vocal track I just recorded on project #1 has also recorded on project #2 over top of the existing vocal.

The only thing I can figure out is that I am doing something wrong in saving or closing the first project. It gets a little maddening after it happens a few times.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:11 PM   #2
ashcat_lt

The only way I can see this happening is if both of the following are true:

1) Both projects are referencing audio from the same folder. Probably Reaper Media because you didn't save them to their own folders before recording,

and

2) You have changed the setting in Preferences|Audio|Recording|Filename format for recorded files in some way that it no longer generates unique names.

Seems like something somewhere should make that impossible or at least warn you before you overwrite a file. Unfortunately, if this is the actual case, there's probably not a damn thing you can do to get the previous tracks back.

Stop doing either of those things and it won't happen again, but they're both bad ideas except in really special situations, so probably just stop doing both.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:11 AM   #3
birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
The only way I can see this happening is if both of the following are true:

1) Both projects are referencing audio from the same folder. Probably Reaper Media because you didn't save them to their own folders before recording,

and

2) You have changed the setting in Preferences|Audio|Recording|Filename format for recorded files in some way that it no longer generates unique names.

Seems like something somewhere should make that impossible or at least warn you before you overwrite a file. Unfortunately, if this is the actual case, there's probably not a damn thing you can do to get the previous tracks back.

Stop doing either of those things and it won't happen again, but they're both bad ideas except in really special situations, so probably just stop doing both.

I appreciate these comments, and believe you are right. I tried previously to set up my preferences to eliminate this confusion and make it more easy plus with more back up in case. What I think I did was screw it up. I had to redo the tracks that were overwritten, which was ok but dont want to make a habit of it.

Thank you much
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote