Old 12-11-2018, 11:31 AM   #1
mschuster
Human being with feelings

Default New song.. Don't Tell Me

Been a little while since I've posted here. This is something a bit different for me. Would appreciate any feedback you're willing to offer!

Big thanks to karbomusic for helping me out with some Tambourine!!

https://soundcloud.com/markbschuster/dont-tell-me
mschuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #2
karbomusic

Excellent job Mark. I don't think the solo was there yet when I tracked, great job and again, really dig the vocals which takes things to a whole new level!
Old 12-11-2018, 01:14 PM   #3
msundh

Great as always. Your solo is really great!
There's a lot going but you still keep it together.
Great job by the tambourine man as well
But at ~2:13 a guitar chord sounds weird to me.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #4
Jeffsounds

Wow! Great tune! Nice playing and vocals are great. Enjoyed the listen!
Old 12-11-2018, 05:03 PM   #5
mschuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Excellent job Mark. I don't think the solo was there yet when I tracked, great job and again, really dig the vocals which takes things to a whole new level!
Thank you Karbo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
Great as always. Your solo is really great!
There's a lot going but you still keep it together.
Great job by the tambourine man as well
But at ~2:13 a guitar chord sounds weird to me.
I hear something a little funky around 2:13 too, but I guess it wasn't enough to set off the alarms while I mixed. I tried to strum out a few of the chords I was picking during the quieter/verse parts. My guess is a rouge open string got in there or something. Thanks for listening and your nice comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Wow! Great tune! Nice playing and vocals are great. Enjoyed the listen!
Thanks!
Old 12-19-2018, 02:11 AM   #6
Timothy Lawler

Complex layers in this and a beautiful overall sound. I like the guitar playing, vocal harmonies, the lyrics, the rhythmic feel in the mix.

Tambourine was mentioned and that brings to mind my own tambourine playing experience. I thought it would be easy. I mean, I can play guitar with good rhythm so tambourine should be simple, right? Maniacal laugh inserted here. Good work on the tambourine, Karbo.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:15 AM   #7
OPI

Man, great tune.

I love how the singer pronounces words.

The vox take it to a perfect level.

Listening on ears buds but the mix sounds good.
OPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:40 AM   #8
mschuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Lawler View Post
Complex layers in this and a beautiful overall sound. I like the guitar playing, vocal harmonies, the lyrics, the rhythmic feel in the mix.

Tambourine was mentioned and that brings to mind my own tambourine playing experience. I thought it would be easy. I mean, I can play guitar with good rhythm so tambourine should be simple, right? Maniacal laugh inserted here. Good work on the tambourine, Karbo.
Thanks Tim. I agree, Tambourine is not an instrument to approach lightly. And that goes for mixing one too! Karbo is an all around PRO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPI View Post
Man, great tune.

I love how the singer pronounces words.

The vox take it to a perfect level.

Listening on ears buds but the mix sounds good.
Thanks! I don't really consider myself a singer (a guitarist masquerading as one), so comments like these really make my day! Thanks!
Old 12-19-2018, 09:00 AM   #9
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschuster View Post
Karbo is an all around PRO!

Well I don't know about all ^that. I do agree with you guys, at first thought tambourine seems like it's just about hitting the down strokes on time but there has to be just the right amount of sway/swing/bounce on the backstroke of the jangles or it will hurt rather than help the groove.

Marks groove/feel was great, had the right sway to it so I knew I had to try to get the tamb to support that. Sometimes, just angling the tamb a little will help create the bounce due to gravity but either way, I've found that it's either right or it isn't without much room in between. I do appreciate the opportunity to help out, it was fun for sure.

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-19-2018 at 09:06 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:05 AM   #10
azimuth

Location: The place that's round on the ends and high in the middle

What is a "Singer" Mark? Simply someone who conveys a story in a fashion that fits with the music. You have a really unique voice that fits your material perfectly in my opinion. I would have killed to have had you as a vocalist (Guitarist too) back when I was banging it out in clubs in the 80's. As I've said before you've got that Axel Rose tonal quality in your voice which love it or hate it, you cannot ignore it. You write some really great material.
azimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:06 AM   #11
mschuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimuth View Post
What is a "Singer" Mark? Simply someone who conveys a story in a fashion that fits with the music. You have a really unique voice that fits your material perfectly in my opinion. I would have killed to have had you as a vocalist (Guitarist too) back when I was banging it out in clubs in the 80's. As I've said before you've got that Axel Rose tonal quality in your voice which love it or hate it, you cannot ignore it. You write some really great material.
Thanks buddy, really appreciate that. Funny, like Axel - I too put on a few pounds over the years...
Old 12-19-2018, 10:10 AM   #12
mschuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Well I don't know about all ^that. I do agree with you guys, at first thought tambourine seems like it's just about hitting the down strokes on time but there has to be just the right amount of sway/swing/bounce on the backstroke of the jangles or it will hurt rather than help the groove.

Marks groove/feel was great, had the right sway to it so I knew I had to try to get the tamb to support that. Sometimes, just angling the tamb a little will help create the bounce due to gravity but either way, I've found that it's either right or it isn't without much room in between. I do appreciate the opportunity to help out, it was fun for sure.
Nicely put.. You do realize, your kind and generous offer to help me with this has just opened Pandora's box in terms of me bugging you in the future? I'd love to have a real kit played to one of these monstrosities I'm always creating... Wink, wink, nudge, nudge..
Old 12-19-2018, 10:16 AM   #13
karbomusic

Quote:
Nicely put.. You do realize, your kind and generous offer to help me with this has just opened Pandora's box in terms of me bugging you in the future? I'd love to have a real kit played to one of these monstrosities I'm always creating... Wink, wink, nudge, nudge..
Hehe, I'm no drummer that's for sure but rather a lifelong half-baked guitarist - it's just that all these years of recording has introduced me to non-guitar areas out of necessity. Once I moved out of the band house I lived in for a decade or more, I suddenly didn't have a bass player, drummer, keyboardist, tambourine player at my disposal any longer, so over the last 15 years or so, I've had to slowly learn what I could.

That said, if there is anything I ever can help with, that is something I can pull off, don't hesitate to ask.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #14
mschuster

I completely understand! Will do!
Old 12-19-2018, 11:40 AM   #15
azimuth

Hey Mark if you're ever in a pinch for drums I'd be glad to put something together for you with Jamstix, just ask.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:45 PM   #16
mschuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimuth View Post
Hey Mark if you're ever in a pinch for drums I'd be glad to put something together for you with Jamstix, just ask.
I appreciate that, thanks, but I'm pretty happy with Toontrack. Not perfect.. but good enough for me.. My earlier comment directed toward Karbo was an attempt at getting a little better at mixing real drums. An elusive goal of mine.. I thought he was drumming in the recent vid he uploaded. My mistake. Time for new glasses!
Old 12-19-2018, 12:52 PM   #17
azimuth

No problem Mark, understand completely. The offer still stands if you change your mind.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:52 PM   #18
karbomusic

Quote:
Time for new glasses!
Ha! Happy to help with a drum mix if ever needed. I did have the luxury of living with a drummer for about 15 years total so I had a DW kit to mic 24/7 for a very long time. That doesn't make me an expert but wouldn't be the first time I've mixed drums LOL.