Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 03-11-2017, 07:20 AM   #1
Luke MacDonald
Human being with feelings

Default Audio Dropping Out on random items

I've had the issue for a while of audio dropping out on random items while working on a project. For example, with an item from one take of a vocal, followed by an item from another take, the audio from one will often start dropping out. Then on the next playback the roles may be reversed and the opposite take may drop out and vice versa. Then when I try to glue the two together, one of the takes will disappear as if muted when glued, and the gluing will have the same issue as the playback - if I try to glue again, often the opposite take will appear muted. I am guessing this has to do with using a lot of CPU power, but it seems that even when I reduce things like muting all the FX on the Master Bus, this still happens. It is quite annoying. Anyone experience this/know of a fix?

Thanks!
Luke MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:23 AM   #2
ivansc

Obvious one to check first: You dont accidentally have any plugins that have reverted to demo mode, do you?
Old 03-11-2017, 08:56 AM   #3
vanhaze

Try This:

- Right click on the Track in TCP, on which those items are.
- Choose "Track performance options"
- checkmark "prevent media buffering"

See how it goes now ..
Old 03-11-2017, 10:42 AM   #4
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke MacDonald View Post
I've had the issue for a while of audio dropping out on random items while working on a project. For example, with an item from one take of a vocal, followed by an item from another take, the audio from one will often start dropping out. Then on the next playback the roles may be reversed and the opposite take may drop out and vice versa. Then when I try to glue the two together, one of the takes will disappear as if muted when glued, and the gluing will have the same issue as the playback - if I try to glue again, often the opposite take will appear muted. I am guessing this has to do with using a lot of CPU power, but it seems that even when I reduce things like muting all the FX on the Master Bus, this still happens. It is quite annoying. Anyone experience this/know of a fix?

Thanks!
If it's what I think it is...

You have multiple takes recorded and have them currently in the same track?
And some of them overlap?

There's a Project Settings menu in the Advanced tab called 'Item mix behavior'. This controls how overlapping items in the same track will play. (Which one will play or a mix.)

I still get confused by the wording (enclosing/enclosed items...) but you'll see what's going on.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:32 AM   #5
Luke MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Try This:

- Right click on the Track in TCP, on which those items are.
- Choose "Track performance options"
- checkmark "prevent media buffering"

See how it goes now ..
The thing is, this issue seems to jump from track to track. One day it'll happen on a drum track, the next it'll happen on a vocal, or even within a session it'll change from one track to another (or happen on multiple tracks simultaneously).

And no to the demo mode (good thinking though), and it doesn't seem like the Item mix behavior would apply to this particular issue I don't think...which seems to be some kind of a bug.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:19 PM   #6
Luke MacDonald

Adding to my bug list, this is something that happens as well. I will record something like a vocal take, and rather than recording the whole take, it will record the first few seconds and then loop it like seen in the attached picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reaper Bug3-15-17.jpg (37.3 KB, 181 views)