Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 03-22-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
cyberluk
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper crash & not loading plugin state

Hi,

I'm in evaluation period and I have already nearly smashed my keyboard against wall because of buggy Reaper.

Pre 4.20 version:
x64 Reaper crashed on Arturia Laboratory (they have only 32bit VST).
I had to use Reaper 32bit because of this. I used Kontakt x64 here. It was fine, until one day Reaper hang and I had to restart PC. After restart I can't load the project anymore!!! Tried to load it with offline plugins and enable them, but it didn't help! I have also projects from yesterday (I save them with different numbers) and this one loads inlucind Kontakt x64.

Today I downloaded 4.20. Now I can load Arturia Laboratory 32bit inside Reaper x64 and it even loaded the whole project with crashing Kontakt 5 dll! But some plugins such as CamelPhat 3 won't load. I have to put them offline and online to let the GUI show. After this, the project state is not loaded.

I thought Reaper is more mature, I started a project week ago and now I completely lost a day of my work, because even if I load it in x64 Reaper, plugins are not preserved and I tweaked them for hours!!!

Any tips before BUYING Reaper or smashing my keyboard? I'd like to get it working in R32 or R64.
cyberluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Sorry for the trouble! Would you mind posting the crash log(s) and listing all plug-ins used in the affected projects?

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=36653
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
cyberluk

It would be good if it would work either in 32bit or 64bit Reaper as yesterday.

I thought I'll be okay with 4.20 version in x64, because it does not crash during the project load. But now I discovered there's even another issue in x64. I can CTRL+ALT+B (toggle plugin offline) twice, so it loads and I can tweak the knobs for all 30 tracks and 60 plugins, which is pain, but I can survive it. But when I was doing it, after a while it just disables all 32 bit plugins again and I'm stuck! Attaching a screenshot. I can click on UI button and nothing changes. I have to CTRL+ALT+B again and this happened when playing the project! Reaper hang and I thought it will be another crash, but then it went back again with no 32bit plugins preserved.

From the picture you can see that plugins are NOT offline, but are somehow disabled (BUG!).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crash.jpg (46.9 KB, 622 views)
Old 03-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
cyberluk

Previous post was about bugs when loading under Reaper x64.

Now the crashlog for Reaper 32-bit, which won't even load:

reaper_host64.exe has stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX64
Application Name: reaper_host64.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4f692ac4
Fault Module Name: Kontakt 5.dll_unloaded
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4e01d4a5
Exception Offset: 000007fee90ec7f4
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 0000000000000008
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 2442
Additional Information 2: 24421d18e3b182044cd4980a3f8365ae
Additional Information 3: aa33
Additional Information 4: aa33810e90aec685d576571efb4f2f4b

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...8&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

----

You can see that Kontakt 5 x64 under Reaper 32-bit caused it. But I have the same project from yesterday - I number each iteration - and this one works with the same plugins. I only tweaked some arrangment.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
cyberluk

I love Reaper, would like to buy it, but this just makes me mad. I need to get the tweaks back as I want the exact same equing and compressing. I might try to load the project in 32-bit Reaper with plugins offline and replace Kontakt with 32-bit version.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
cyberluk

I tried to replace Kontakt 5 64-bit dll with 32-bit dll (they have same name). Now Reaper crashes without any crashlog. I can load the project only with all plugins offline, then put them online and play. Now it works. But when I save this state and try to reopen later, it crashes again. Project loading always crashes no matter if I use Kontakt 5 32 or 64 bit.

I've lost my work and feel like sticking with FL Studio :-(
Old 03-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
cyberluk

So Reaper 32-bit keeps crashing, I want to move to x64 BUT:
Everytime I save ANY 32-bit plugin in Reaper x64 4.20 and save the project, the plugin won't show (see previous crash.jpg attachment). So I've lost a week of work, because of today Reaper crashing.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
Ollie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberluk View Post
until one day Reaper hang and I had to restart PC. After restart I can't load the project anymore!!!
Restarting the PC on hang is a risky thing, it could be writing to disk while it hangs (or hang because it's writing to disk), inevitably corrupting your project. Kontakt can write huge data chunks into your project file and if you interrupt that, bad things will happen.

Quote:
Now the crashlog for Reaper 32-bit, which won't even load:

You can see that Kontakt 5 x64 under Reaper 32-bit caused it. But I have the same project from yesterday - I number each iteration - and this one works with the same plugins. I only tweaked some arrangment.
See above, this version of the project is probably damaged.

Quote:
But when I was doing it, after a while it just disables all 32 bit plugins again and I'm stuck! Attaching a screenshot. I can click on UI button and nothing changes. I have to CTRL+ALT+B again and this happened when playing the project! Reaper hang and I thought it will be another crash, but then it went back again with no 32bit plugins preserved.

From the picture you can see that plugins are NOT offline, but are somehow disabled (BUG!).
All your 32-bit plug-ins run in a 32-bit host process when you use REAPER 64-bit (just like Kontakt 64-bit runs in a 64-bit host process when you use it in REAPER 32 bit). If one of them crashes, it takes out the host process and hence all other 32 bit plug-ins in that process. You need to find the plug-in that causes this.

Also, if you're using memory-hungry 32bit plug-ins, the memory usage of that process could easily exceed the per-process memory limits which always causes a crash.

Quote:
I tried to replace Kontakt 5 64-bit dll with 32-bit dll (they have same name).
Now Reaper crashes without any crashlog. I can load the project only with all plugins offline, then put them online and play. Now it works. But when I save this state and try to reopen later, it crashes again.
Just swapping the DLL could be a idea, the config chunks stored in the .RPP may be specific to the plug-in version and it's now feeding the chunk to the wrong plug-in, likely causing it to crash.

Quote:
So Reaper 32-bit keeps crashing, I want to move to x64 BUT:
Everytime I save ANY 32-bit plugin in Reaper x64 4.20 and save the project, the plugin won't show (see previous crash.jpg attachment). So I've lost a week of work, because of today Reaper crashing.
Sorry I'm not sure I'm following (any 32-bit plug-in you save, even you start REAPER with an empty project?) but that could mean that something went quite criss-cross on your system and resetting REAPER to factory defaults (via Start Menu), reinstalling REAPER the plug-ins could be in order.

Also make sure your antivirus (if any) is set to exclude your REAPER and plug-in folder(s).

Last edited by Ollie; 03-23-2012 at 02:02 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:42 AM   #9
cyberluk

Hi,

Thanks for your help. I'm actually developing cloud computations online in Python, ExtJs 4, etc. on NCLab.com, so I know something about memory leaks.

Everytime Reaper crashed, I looked into Task Manager and it always closed all processes, so I hadn't to kill any.

After that I restart Windows through Start menu, which waits for all applications to exit.

I'm doing D&B, so I don't use Kontakt to load any sample library. I used it in this project to load exactly one WAV sample, which is like 5 seconds short.

After replacing Kontakt's dll it crashed again on the startup, but when opening the project with all plugins offline I was able to put this Kontakt with replaced dll from 64 to 32 and all settings were preserved.

I was trying linking two FL Studios over gigabit ethernet and I had to uninstall NOD32 as it was blocking UDP packets - probably because it were broadcast packets.

I hate FL Studio, because of their latency compensation, which is not working for my parallel processing, sidechains and lo-mid-hi band splitters. They're stuck because of the old 32-bit only Delphi code, which can't be changed.

Therefore I want to switch to Reaper. I had no latency problems at all, but I don't want to experience a corrupting project again.

What to do if it crashes on project saving for example? Or how can I be sure that the project will load?

FL Studio has some handy features such as project autosave with incremental numbers. Can something like this be done in Reaper to prevent corrupting files? I would like to have project saved each 5 or 10 minutes. This would solve it.

I'm pretty sure I didn't go around any memory limit as Reaper used 1.2 GB RAM total in this project. I haven't added any new plugins in the corrupted version, so it must have been corrupted during the save process.

I was evaluating Reaper just for 5 days and experienced project corruption - this must not happen in the future.

In the previous version Arturia Laboratory (32-bit vst for my awesome midi keys) was crashing Reaper x64. In 4.20 it works without any problems, so I'm now going to use Reaper x64 with some bridged 32-bit plugins.

Now I see you have autosave in Preferences, great! I hope it will solve my issues. I customized Reaper a lot, it took me hours to find something like midi pool and enable it - this could be named a clone item feature or something as I'm used to have it this way (like in FL Studio). Other things works perfectly, which I can't say about FL (hope they'll rewrite the engine from scratch with better mixer and native 64-bit support without bridging).
Old 04-11-2012, 01:17 AM   #10
cyberluk

Hi,

So I had to abandon the last project, because of bad Reaper corrupting projects.

But this story is even more interesting. I enabled autosave every 5 mins. Started new project in Reaper x64 with some 32-bit plugins.

One day I moved some knob in Ohmicide (I was moving with those knobs before, so nothing special about it), but suddenly the plugin window freezed.

I closed Reaper, it asked me if I want to save the changes, I clicked NO !!!

After closing Reaper, restarted PC and opened the same project. Boom! ALL 32-bit plugins are offline.

Strange, I did not save the project. But I have the autosaves! Ok, here it goes:

original project saved on 17:57 - x86 plugins offline!
project backup 17:52 - x86 plugins offline!
project backup 17:37 - x86 plugins offline!
project backup 17:32 - x86 plugins offline!
project backup 17:27 - x86 plugins offline!
project backup 17:22 - x86 plugins offline!
project backup 17:03 - x86 plugins offline!
project backup 16:58 - loads even the x86 plugins

So how is it possible that I don't save the changes, when one plugin freezes, and after restart 7 random projects won't load. The last one which loads contains the same plugins!

Does Reaper disable the plugins globally, that they are not loaded in several projects?

Some x86 plugins settings is preserved, some is not!

I am still in evaluation period, now with Reaper 4.22. Reaper works fine - plugin delay compensation with no issues, but sometimes I lost my work!!! Which is not what makes DAW a digital. I feel like analog, where I have to connect cables and stuff from scratch all the time.

Even FL Studio demo is not so buggy like the 3 or 4 versions of Reaper I evaluated.

I would switch to Reaper as FL Studio's mixer does not allow me some "complex" routing (complex by Gol, I see it as two sidechains and one parallel bus processing), but loosing randomly hours of work is not a "feature" I'm looking for :-(
Old 04-12-2012, 04:08 AM   #11
Ollie

Quote:
So how is it possible that I don't save the changes, when one plugin freezes, and after restart 7 random projects won't load. The last one which loads contains the same plugins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
All your 32-bit plug-ins run in a 32-bit host process when you use REAPER 64-bit (just like Kontakt 64-bit runs in a 64-bit host process when you use it in REAPER 32 bit). If one of them crashes, it takes out the host process and hence all other 32 bit plug-ins in that process.

Quote:
Does Reaper disable the plugins globally, that they are not loaded in several projects?
No. Several versions of the project meet the conditions to crash the 32-bit host process, one doesn't (the difference between the 2 could be a hint on what actually causes the crash).

You can try to set REAPER to run 32-bit plug-ins all in their own [b]dedicated[/i] process, globally in Preferences->Plug-ins->Compatibility->VST bridging/firewalling and see if the problem persists or what instance of what plug-in keeps disappearing.

Also, uploading a .RPP project file (no media files needed) of a crashing project and posting a link to it (or try attaching it using the forum's attachment function) could help us helping you troubleshooting this.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #12
A shade Molly

Quote:
You can try to set REAPER to run 32-bit plug-ins all in their own [b]dedicated[/i] process, globally in Preferences->Plug-ins->Compatibility->VST bridging/firewalling and see if the problem persists or what instance of what plug-in keeps disappearing.
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but this just saved my ass. Thank Google for eventually getting me to this topic. I don't know what happened to my project or how it became somewhat corrupted. I haven't opened it in weeks, needed to make a final tweak before sending it off tonight, and just spent two hours trying to get it to load the plugin states correctly. Nothing worked except for this. Of course, now I have 7+GB of RAM in use... but I guess it'll have to do. Thanks!
A shade Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:59 AM   #13
denbysweeting

Default Plug-ins crashing Reaper SOLVED!!!

After a period of Reaper (v4.x) crashing, apparently due to two specific 3rd party plug-ins (Effectizer v1.1 and Acid Rack v1.4), I'm pleased to announce a fix... All I had to do was go into Options > Preferences > Plug-ins > Compatibility and change the 'VST bridging/firewalling' setting from 'Automatic bridging (when required)' to 'In dedicated process per-plugin'

Et Voila!

Reaper is such an excellent DAW, I'm very pleased to have ironed-out this issue.

Happy Reaping all!
denbysweeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #14
Ollie

Quote:

That was only meant to be a quick test for the OP's problem, to see if a non-threadsafe plug-in is the culprit. Changing the global setting in Preferences->Plug-ins->Compatibility->VST bridging/firewalling permanently is not recommendable since that would run all instances of all plug-ins in their own process.

It's better to find the actual plug-in(s) causing the trouble, then setting only it/them to run in a dedicated process by right-clicking the plug-in in question in the FX Browser->"Run as"->"Dedicated".