Old 07-19-2017, 01:52 PM   #1
retronoodle
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper, Klinke, Behringer Xtouch

First of all, I'd like to thank Klinke and the Reaper community for making this so easy to get up and running!

I have a question but first I'll explain my setup so they're easier to setup.

Basically running stock reaper, A Behringer Xtouch, and stock Klinke plugin. Everything just worked, it was beautiful.

Question #1

When I'm working with a plugin, it appears that the faders handle control of the settings. I might prefer that to be the encoders, and the faders just stay where they are (track volume, basically).

Is this possible, or even advisable? Why or why not?

Thanks so much !
retronoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
Klinke

It's a design decision I have taken, mainly because of the VPOTs (knobs) Mackie used for the production of the MCU. They havn't a lot of steps per rotation (and you can feel each step), so using them for continouos parameters doesn't make a lot of sense IMHO. So I decided that the VPOTs/knob can be used only for discrete parameters like LFO type.
Klinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:15 AM   #3
retronoodle

Hi, thanks for the reply!

I agree, this sounds like a good reason to do things this way.

If I wanted to *try* the other way, using the encoders, would there be an easy path to do this?

BTW - I am looking at the manual right now - and it's all new to me, so it's not making a lot of sense to me as far as what I'd do to make this change.

It seems like I'd want to

A - stop using the faders (so they don't move when I select a plugin)

B - enable the encoders somehow

C - Another option for the discrete parameters?

Much thanks,

Last edited by retronoodle; 08-08-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:31 AM   #4
LugNut

Hi,
I could have sworn one would be able to do this by making a custom plug in map. Isn't this true? I thought I've done it before.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:25 AM   #5
retronoodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
Hi,
I could have sworn one would be able to do this by making a custom plug in map. Isn't this true? I thought I've done it before.
Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm sure it's possible. I don't want to lose all of the other benefits Klinke has given us, though.

Also, I'm totally new to this so half the stuff in the manual is greek to me. Just need a starting point, and wanted to make sure this wasn't just a hidden option I was missing somewhere before I go to all the trouble.

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #6
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by retronoodle View Post
Hi, thanks for the reply!

I agree, this sounds like a good reason to do things this way.

If I wanted to *try* the other way, using the encoders, would there be an easy path to do this?

BTW - I am looking at the manual right now - and it's all new to me, so it's not making a lot of sense to me as far as what I'd do to make this change.

It seems like I'd want to

A - stop using the faders (so they don't move when I select a plugin)

B - enable the encoders somehow

C - Another option for the discrete parameters?

Much thanks,
A: If you want to use the faders to control the volume of the tracks as e.g. in the Pan-Mode: No this isn't possible. You can only create a custom map, where you don't assign any parameter to the faders, but in this case the faders are just doing nothing.

B: They are enabled, but they use a list of values. If you really want to use this for a continuous parameter, the only solution would be to modify the corresponding xml-file per hand (or better via a script), but this is an advanced task.

C: I don't understand this question. I think for discrete parameters the current solution is really sophisticated.
Klinke is offline   Reply With Quote