Old 07-20-2017, 07:36 AM   #1
RexMonday
Human being with feelings

Default Wayward Tempos

Hey…

I’ve signed up as I have a very specific question that I was hoping someone on here can help me with…
I would have searched, but I’m not sure what terms I would use to solve my problem…
I’m a DJ and have a number of tracks that were initially recorded with a live drummer, resulting in a wayward tempo… I like to blend styles, and this proves very difficult, for example when blending house, with its perfect 4x4 beat, and disco, that has been played by a live band…
My question is… is there a function in reaper, to automatically normalise a tempo, and snap the track to the grid?
Hopefully this makes sense…

I would be immensely grateful for anyone who can help, or point me in the right direction

Thanks
Rex
RexMonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:28 PM   #2
foxAsteria

Not really automatically, no. But you can use the Dynamic Split function to assign stretch markers to your transients and try to snap those to the grid. Whether this is easy depends on the nature and quality of the material. SWS extensions provides a lot of extra actions for manipulating stretch markers and mapping tempo.

Best place to search for things you don't know exist is the Actions List (default shortcut is '?').
Old 07-25-2017, 07:15 AM   #3
RexMonday

Thanks for the reply Fox... so is Dynamic Split similar to this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6Id3JNHOAw
RexMonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:06 PM   #4
foxAsteria

Yea, similar, just not as automatic. If your material has strong transients you can raise the sensitivity until all the main ones are detected and then raise the min slice length so that they only appear on the main beats. Then you just quantize the stretch markers to the grid. You'll probably have to comb through and fix some manually though.

Also, welcome to the forums!