Old 07-13-2017, 05:11 AM   #1
Gianfini
Human being with feelings

Default meta-feature request

Hi, I waited long before choosing where to post this.

My request is to ask devs to periodically screen through the best actions (lua, eel, etc.) out there by the various scripters and include them in the base installation + in the base menu sets. Similar to the integration with SWS.

I'm expecting no more than 10-15 actions be selected each year.

The reason why:
many functionalities that I deem as KEY and BASIC and that all competitor DAWs offer, are actually implemented only through thid party scripts. They are not of easy access to a newbie or a newcomer from other daws + they have to be added to menues, toolbars, etc. Reaper should cover most key and basic stuff natively as soon as installed to be even more attractive to new users

Which actions:
well... the most used (can poll) or the ones that close gaps with the other DAWS

My take:
- all quantization scripts not included in the base installation (spk, mlp)
- track name manipulation scripts
- track folder creation
- item editing stuff (me2beat, others)
- Heda Loudness and Track Inspector

What do you think?

g
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:18 AM   #2
EvilDragon

Unfortunately I don't think that'll happen since devs probably like developing more than picking scripts out.

There's ReaPack and it should be used instead.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:47 PM   #3
mschnell

Meta-Meta Feature Request:

My favorite FR is that the devs should work together with cfillion and implement an extended version of ReaPack tightly in Reaper.

This in place, they don't need to think about including other great stuff provided by Reaper users, but anybody can easily find, install and check out what he thinks is useful.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:21 AM   #4
Gianfini

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Unfortunately I don't think that'll happen since devs probably like developing more than picking scripts out.

There's ReaPack and it should be used instead.
This is fine for me and for you and the other users around here. But not for new comers

I'm not sure if devs don't want to pick. They probably don't have time or give it a lower priority, but I would suggest them instead to think if the final objective is having a wonderful DAW after weeks and weeks of personalization, and a rather basic one out of the box, or to focus also on newcomers

g
Old 07-14-2017, 02:25 AM   #5
Gianfini

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Meta-Meta Feature Request:

My favorite FR is that the devs should work together with cfillion and implement an extended version of ReaPack tightly in Reaper.

This in place, they don't need to think about including other great stuff provided by Reaper users, but anybody can easily find, install and check out what he thinks is useful.

-Michael
Yes this is option 1... but think about new comers please for a while. REapack adds also a lot of complexity and not all scripts are top notch / must-have. so a selection could be beneficial

Just one single example. We are under par toward Logic and others on non-midi item quantization tools. But if we add third parties scripts we suddenly go on-par (if not better).

Audio item quantization is a SUPER basic workflow for mixeurs. Why don't embed (and improve if needed) the key functionalities in Reaper?

g
Old 07-14-2017, 03:57 AM   #6
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianfini View Post
but think about new comers please for a while.
This is exactly what I am trying to do. Please see several posts e.g. about (using ReaPack for) documenting the "stock" scripts that come with Reaper.

Quote:
REapack adds also a lot of complexity and not all scripts are top notch / must-have. so a selection could be beneficial
Especially not all those plugins (and not even the "stock" scripts that come with Reaper) feature a decent documentation. For this we should set up a community that moves the decently documented and tested plugins in appropriate ReaScript repositories.

(What is "must have" totally depends on the point of view of each dedicated user.)

Quote:
Audio item quantization is a SUPER basic workflow for mixeurs.
I don't even know what this is supposed to do

-Michael
Old 07-14-2017, 04:56 AM   #7
Gianfini

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post

I don't even know what this is supposed to do

-Michael
yep if you produce EDM or use mainly MIDI quantization of audio might be secondary. But if you record drums and mix, then audio quantization is a must-have step

Anyway I agree with your other points. Hope devs will take someone to take care about it...

g
Old 07-14-2017, 08:15 AM   #8
mschnell

In fact I hate EDM and don't do Midi work.

I do just live band recording and here, shifting audio is not a good idea due to phasing and other artifacts to arise due to cross-talk on all mics.

-Michael
Old 07-14-2017, 09:35 AM   #9
nofish

My guess is integration of user scripts won't happen for probably the same reason SWS won't be integrated:

If you have to install these separately it's clear they are coming from a 3rd party which is then also responsible for maintaining / bug fixing these.

If it's integrated it would be 'something delivered by Cockos' and so Cockos could be held in charge maintaining / fixing these and as ED said, devs probably prefer working on the Reaper core than picking / maintaining / fixing scripts.

Last edited by nofish; 07-14-2017 at 10:53 AM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:04 PM   #10
mschnell

This is part of the beauty ReaPack provides: providing obvious 3rd party scrips in a well organized (findable, hopefully decently documented) way.

-Michael
Old 07-18-2017, 01:06 AM   #11
Gianfini

Understand we can live with this. Eventually you have to agree with me that having key features, that are present in all mainstream DAWs buried into scripts (Reapack or whatever) does create a steeper learning curve for new comers. Doesn't it?

PS. quantizing drums is part of all recording workflows, it doesn't involve shifting audio out of phase if you do it right, but that's a totally different thread...

g
Old 07-18-2017, 09:00 AM   #12
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Is there a sticky-thread, that collects all such 3rd-party-scripts in one place? That would be great
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:18 AM   #13
mschnell

It's called "ReaPack"

But yo are right, there should be a sticky thread for discussion test results etc on the plugins provided by ReaPack.

-Michael
Old 07-19-2017, 12:09 PM   #14
mpl

Quote:
sticky thread
For developers: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=169127
For users: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=177978

Discussing stuff provided by ReaPack depends on script authors (if they are even ready to discuss something, answer stupid questions, spend time explaining how things work etc) and doesn`t related to ReaPack as extension at all.

Last edited by mpl; 07-19-2017 at 12:16 PM.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote