Old 06-30-2017, 07:14 AM   #1
16bit
Human being with feelings

Default Access "recfile_wildcards" via action

Hi all,
Apologies if this is in the wrong section. Please move it if it is.

OK, I have a multi-track project setup where I need to name the recorded files collectively for each new recording I make.

The recorded items need to have the track name, and data/time, which is easy-peasy to do with the wildcards in Prefs>Audio>Recording "Filename format for recorded files".

However, for what I want to do, I am having to go into the preference menu each and every time before I hit the record button. Sometimes, I may have wandered around and I am not in this preference section, and I have to scramble for it quickly.

I looked at the Reaper.ini file under %userprofile%\AppData\Reaper and it is right there called "recfile_wildcards". I backed up the ini and manually edited this entry using Windows notepad. However the open and running Reaper did not reflect the changes to the file.

Is there a way I can get a pop-up box to ask me what to enter? I am happy to learn how to script it, but I don't see an option to 'get' it and 'set' it.

If I could make Reaper reload the ini, that would do, but it's hardly elegant.

I appreciate that I may need to clarify what I want, please do ask me to explain better if it's not clear.

Cheers
16bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:34 AM   #2
nofish

I've never used these functions myself in a script but seems like

(in Lua)
reaper.BR_Win32_GetPrivateProfileString()
reaper.BR_Win32_WritePrivateProfileString()

may be used for this:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183656

(These functions are added via SWS extensions)

Not sure if the written values would take effect immediately or if Reaper would need to be restarted.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
16bit

Spot on, yeah, cheers!
Can't seem to manage to get them to quite work, but never mind. I think the real issue is getting Reaper to take up the changes to the ini file without forcing a shutdown/restart. Humph.

Now, I'd settle for a batch rename the recorded files, sort of like some of the other actions floating around, which can bulk-rename the takes. I want the actual files renamed.
16bit is offline   Reply With Quote