Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 11-16-2017, 07:58 PM   #1
zdub
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper - play cursor doesn't stop & no looping

Upgraded to Reaper 5.62 yesterday (x64). It seems it doesn't know where the end of a track is as the play cursor no longer stops at the end of the track. It will just kept on going forever into the blank area, playing silence. Similarly, unless I create a timeline selection, Loop play doesn't working; it plays the clip to the end and then keeps going off into nowhere land.
zdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:02 PM   #2
cfillion

Enable "Stop/repeat playback at end of project" in Preferences > Audio > Playback.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:22 PM   #3
zdub

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
Enable "Stop/repeat playback at end of project" in Preferences > Audio > Playback.
Already checked.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:07 PM   #4
zdub

Unchecked and rechecked the stop playback options. Deleted my reaper.ini file. Deleted the whole appdata Reaper folder. Installed older versions. Installed newest version in another folder.

Nada. Reaper just will not automatically stop (or loop) at the end of a track/project/clip.

I installed Reaper on another PC and it worked fine (which I suspected would be the case since there aren't other people screaming about the problem.)

Something is majorly screwed up with Reaper on this machine and it only started recently.

Any other ideas?
Old 11-17-2017, 02:47 PM   #5
cfillion

Does it happen in any project (eg. blank project without a project template set) or just one specific project/project template? There could perhaps be a lone media item far away in the timeline causing this (the Project Bay can help identify those).
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:13 PM   #6
zdub

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
Does it happen in any project (eg. blank project without a project template set) or just one specific project/project template? There could perhaps be a lone media item far away in the timeline causing this (the Project Bay can help identify those).
It happens every time. Reaper will continue to play without a clip. Or continue to play past the end of any of my old projects. Or when inserting a wav file into a new track. I first discovered this the other day when I started a new project & inserted a midi note 2 seconds long. When I played it, it went past the 2 second long clip and on and on and on.

Driving me crazy. I can't use Reaper like this.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:08 PM   #7
zdub

So things are working once again.

I installed and ran a portable copy with no problems. Then deleted Program Files\Reaper program folder and renamed %appdata%\Reaper. Did a regular install just like a new barebones unregistered copy and find that things are working again. But the weird thing is, I exit Reaper, make my original profile folder active again and things are completely back to normal.

Edit: Damn. It's happening again but not with some new project files. I'll figure it out as my sanity is now at sake.

Last edited by zdub; 11-18-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:48 PM   #8
zdub

New notes.

New files dragged in played past end. New projects also. I then start looking at the .rpp files with the portable and non-portable installs and cutting & pasting. It turns out - consistently - that the problem files are being created with:

MAXPROJLEN 1 7200

The portable install is creating project files with

MAXPROJLEN 0 600

and if I replace that line, things work fine. (Actually it is the zero that is a problem.)

Now I'm trying to figure out what in the .ini file is responsible for this.

Sigh.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:00 PM   #9
zdub

One more note. I have been looking at my old project files from the past few years. All of them have either MAXPROJLEN 1 7200 or 0 600. They all worked with no problem in the past. But now Reaper will not stop at the
end of the track for those with 1 7200. Modifying the file fixes things.

I'm not sure what is responsible for creating the maxprojlen entry, but if I start from scratch with reaper.ini it creates projects with 0 600. But since many of my old projects used to work fine and now won't stop playing at the end of the track unless I change that line - even when using a clean portable install - it DOES seems like something has changed Reaper's behavior.

Update: updated all of my default project files to 0 600. Updating all of my regular rpp files also.

Last edited by zdub; 11-19-2017 at 03:47 PM.