Old 11-15-2017, 03:38 PM   #1
MRMJP
Human being with feelings

Default Monitor FX Recall Issues

For a few months I have had a stable Monitor FX situation going. I had NUGEN VisLM as the only plugin in the Monitor FX slot, and it always kept the same size/settings/location. Hassle free.

Lately, one of two things regularly happens:

1) Instead of staying set to Loudness + True Peak, it reverts to just Loudness only.

2) Sometimes, the entire size/layout of the plugin appears after a new launch of REAPER and I have to reset it.

I tend to install all the pre-release versions so I'm not sure if installing a new pre-reelase version is causing the plugin to reset, or if it's something else.

Of course, NUGEN claims the issue is likely from REAPER and not their plugin.

So I ask, has anything changed here or can anybody else recreate a similar problem or have you been noticing that Monitor FX plugins are not restoring how you left them?
Old 11-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #2
Justin
Administrator

Try doing something like bypass/unbypass the plug-in after you tweak the plug-in settings, to make sure that the config is updated. It's possible that the configuration won't be saved if the plug-in doesn't properly notify us on a parameter change (and if you do something major like toggling bypass it will force the config save).
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:56 PM   #3
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Try doing something like bypass/unbypass the plug-in after you tweak the plug-in settings, to make sure that the config is updated. It's possible that the configuration won't be saved if the plug-in doesn't properly notify us on a parameter change (and if you do something major like toggling bypass it will force the config save).
I can do that but it's not a plugin I really ever tweak. I actually might be doing this already because when REAPER loads and the plugin isn't how I prefer it, I change the setting to how I prefer it so I think that would technically trigger a change right?

I just toggled the bypass check box so I'll keep an eye on it and see how long it stays in that configuration.

Do you think installing a new version/pre-release version could cause it to load up in a different state?
Old 11-21-2017, 04:23 PM   #4
MRMJP

So far, the issue still remains. I've tried recreating the preset and starting fresh but the plugin still wants to reset to a different state now and then.

My goal is to keep the plugin loaded and on my secondary screen without ever having to touch it but somehow, something it triggering this one Monitor FX instance to reset.

It's a floating window and it's the only plugin used in the Monitor FX slot.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:13 AM   #5
MRMJP

Hi Justin,

Do you have any more insight on this issue?

I like to have NUGEN VisLM2 (VST3) floating on a 3rd display and never touch it. I'm having problems where the plugin settings are not remembered.

After a few restarts of REAPER, suddenly the settings on the meter go to something else, and sometimes the size of the window even changes due to these settings changes.

I've saved a preset of my preferred setting and even set that as user default but this still happens eventually.

NUGEN is looking at it but of course seems to be pointing the blame at REAPER which I would find hard to believe. They claim that since the plugin in in the Monitor FX slot, that it is not stored as part of a session that there can be issues.

All I want is the plugin setting to stay exactly as I leave it. I install nearly every pre-relesae of REAPER so I'm not sure if that has an affect on this.

Anyway, does anybody have luck with other plugins staying in the Monitor FX slot and never changing settings on their own?
Old 12-07-2017, 06:34 AM   #6
Justin
Administrator

I’ve used many other plugins on the monitor fx chain and never had an issue with state changing...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:46 PM   #7
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
So far, the issue still remains. I've tried recreating the preset and starting fresh but the plugin still wants to reset to a different state now and then.

My goal is to keep the plugin loaded and on my secondary screen without ever having to touch it but somehow, something it triggering this one Monitor FX instance to reset.

It's a floating window and it's the only plugin used in the Monitor FX slot.
AFAIKT, the FX Monitor settings are saved to the file "reaper-hwoutfx.ini", IOW if that ini file is getting overwritten unexpectedly? Once you have FX Monitoring setup and working just the way you want set that ini file to 'Read Only' so Reaper can't overwrite the file and change the settings. If the problem still persists then you can at least rule out the ini file getting changed.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:49 AM   #8
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
AFAIKT, the FX Monitor settings are saved to the file "reaper-hwoutfx.ini", IOW if that ini file is getting overwritten unexpectedly? Once you have FX Monitoring setup and working just the way you want set that ini file to 'Read Only' so Reaper can't overwrite the file and change the settings. If the problem still persists then you can at least rule out the ini file getting changed.
Thanks. This sounds interesting and I'll try it.

I still suspect it's an issue with NUGEN but like many plugin developers they are hesitant to admit an issue.

They also don't seem to understand why I don't just use it on the Master Track rather than as a a Monitor FX.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:09 PM   #9
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
Thanks. This sounds interesting and I'll try it.

I still suspect it's an issue with NUGEN but like many plugin developers they are hesitant to admit an issue.

They also don't seem to understand why I don't just use it on the Master Track rather than as a a Monitor FX.
Ya I'd blame the plugin . I'm not sure how the saving part works but Reaper could do better too, for example I do a clean install (or just delete that ini file), launch reaper, add say ReaEQ to the FXMW (FX Monitor window), move the FXMW to bottom right, exit reaper, open that ini file and can clearly see the saved window bounds are wrong, they appear to be where the FXMW originally opened and not where I moved the FXMW to! Oh well at least I now know toggling the fx bypass forces the ini to be updated with the "current" FXMW bounds.

In my own apps after initialized I just save window bounds to a variable, In the windows resize events I save the bounds to another variable (but only if in normal WindowState), On exit I compare the vars, if they don't match I know the user moved/resized the window and update the ini. No doubt Reaper is much more complicated but it should know if the window bounds changed since it launched and update the ini if needed for christs sake!
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:15 PM   #10
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
Ya I'd blame the plugin . I'm not sure how the saving part works but Reaper could do better too, for example I do a clean install (or just delete that ini file), launch reaper, add say ReaEQ to the FXMW (FX Monitor window), move the FXMW to bottom right, exit reaper, open that ini file and can clearly see the saved window bounds are wrong, they appear to be where the FXMW originally opened and not where I moved the FXMW to! Oh well at least I now know toggling the fx bypass forces the ini to be updated with the "current" FXMW bounds.

In my own apps after initialized I just save window bounds to a variable, In the windows resize events I save the bounds to another variable (but only if in normal WindowState), On exit I compare the vars, if they don't match I know the user moved/resized the window and update the ini. No doubt Reaper is much more complicated but it should know if the window bounds changed since it launched and update the ini if needed for christs sake!
Thanks for the info. I do install nearly every pre-release build so that's why I wasn't sure if anything related to installing a new version of REAPER could cause a conflict.

As you say, maybe some things could be cleaned up on REAPER's side too.

I just want to insert a monitor FX, put it on a 3rd display and never have to think about it again or babysit it.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:36 PM   #11
MRMJP

After setting up a new Mac I'm still battling this issue on my studio B rig.

If I having a floating monitor FX plugin GUI on one of my two auxiliary displays, REAPER can't seem to remember this after cutting and reopening REAPER.

When I do this, the floating floating monitor FX plugin GUIs appear on my main screen and then I have to continuously move them back.

I've tried a few ways of triggering them to say including a bypass/enable cycle etc.

It would be great if this could be better supported in an update.