Old 11-15-2017, 06:51 PM   #1
srdmusic
Human being with feelings

Default Freezing and Crashing

I'm getting a lot of freezing and crashing lately and I'm not sure where to start.

Here's is a crash dump while Reaper froze for 5mins and then came back. I'm not sure if it's my auto save that's getting locked up or if it's something else.

Any help would be appreciated.

LINK: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tx1c51ypjy...85%29.DMP?dl=0
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:56 PM   #2
srdmusic

Specs:

Windows 10 1703 x64
Reaper 64 Bit 5.65 pre13
48 Core Intel Xeon 128Gb ram
14TB raided SSDs for Samples
500GB SSD for System
Old 11-21-2017, 01:53 AM   #3
FretBuzz

I have the same /similar problem lately. Reaper just seems to freeze, so far it has not woken up again and I have to close it down. Getting bit of a pain now. It seems to have started when I installed Superior Drummer 3, previously I did not really experience any issues with Reaper.

I have attached the event log for the latest, all other hangs result in exactly the same log entry.
Attached Files
File Type: rar reaper hang.rar (5.8 KB, 92 views)
FretBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:57 PM   #4
srdmusic

Thanks for the info. My problem seems like it is unrelated to any plugin as I haven't updated anything that's currently loaded in the session. I also don't use Superior drummer so I can't say whether that's affecting anything. You can try running Superior Drummer in Buggy Plugin mode or as a separate process outside of reaper so that if it crashes it doesn't' hang your session.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:59 PM   #5
srdmusic

FYI I've been told by the dev team that event logs don't really help them as much as crash dumps. Before closing the 'Reaper has stopped working' Window. Go to Task Manager and right click on reaper. Click on Crash Dump. Send them a link of that file and it's much easier for them to troubleshoot.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:19 AM   #6
FretBuzz

I thought I would send an event log in the first place as crash dumps can be huge, the one I have for the latest hang is over 4G - do they have an ftp site that these can be uploaded to?

I am not convinced that SD3 has anything to do with it, I think that may just be coincidence - the program has never hung when recording or doing any processing, if anything it hangs when I have left it for a while and then go back and try and do something although there is no one thing that causes it, it seems totally random. This last time I just double clicked on a midi item and it hung. Weird.
FretBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:02 AM   #7
KarlHoffmann

I started getting this behavior 2 days ago after Avast anti-virus updated itself. When Reaper freezes I can't even get to Task Manager to shut it down.

Running Reaper 5.62, SWS 2.9.6, XP SP3 and MOTU PCI424 system. XP doesn't even see the hard shutdown. Comes back normally.

Last edited by KarlHoffmann; 11-23-2017 at 10:07 AM.
KarlHoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:47 AM   #8
srdmusic

Interesting that you mentioned Avast Anti-Virus. I did not intentionally install Avast but found it on my system. I would not uninstall correctly without a third party app.

After I've completely uninstall Avast and updated to the lastest version of Reaper Pre-Release, the freezing seems to have subsided.

I'll report more if I have more crashes.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:45 AM   #9
ChocolateHawkins

I'm getting the same thing CONSTANTLY. Even without plugins on.
ChocolateHawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 02:10 PM   #10
ChocolateHawkins

To add some more detail to my issues:

A few weeks ago I starting having bizarre issues with plugins going missing which I posted about here and still hadn't resolved. Then last night while working the master volume started to fade and then reaper froze and crashed. I got a NTDLL error. Now every time I try to use it. Same thing. Instant crash. Same error. I can't find much info online. Anyone else had similar and have any ideas how I can fix this? What type of diagnostic info can I generate to dig in more?

My crash dump is 1.5 gigs so not sure what to do with it.

Last edited by ChocolateHawkins; 11-26-2017 at 02:21 PM.
ChocolateHawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:11 AM   #11
vordex

[QUOTE=ChocolateHawkins;1917412]I got a NTDLL error./QUOTE]

Probably unrelated, but for the past few days I have been getting intermittent memory write errors when closing REAPER 5.62 Windows 8.1 x64, and my event logs show a problem in ntdll.dll, with reaper.exe being the crashing process. I *have* installed several new barely-tested plugins recently, so I've assumed it was that. PC diagnostics show no physical memory errors. I'm only reporting this because I've never noticed ntdll errors before...
vordex is offline   Reply With Quote