Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 10-19-2016, 08:28 PM   #1
MRMJP
Human being with feelings

Default FabFilter Pro-Q 2 VST3 settings and presets do not save/load (FIXED)

There seems to be an issue with REAPER loading a saved preset with FabFilter Pro-Q 2.

If I save a preset of Pro-Q 2 in the REAPER FX preset menu, it doesn't seem to load when recalled manually. Also, if I save a preset as the default preset when the plugin loads which is a great feature of REAPER, that also doesn't seem to work. The plugin is in it's default state instead of the preset.

Lastly, if I save Pro-Q 2 as part of an FX Chain Preset, the settings are not recalled.

The AU version has been working OK, I did not test the VST version.

I'll post this on the FabFilter forum but wanted to post here incase it's a REAPER fix.

Last edited by MRMJP; 10-20-2016 at 08:07 AM.
MRMJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:16 AM   #2
MRMJP

Still an issue with the final version of 5.27

FabFilter Pro-Q 2 presets are not saved and/or recalled when saved using the REAPER presets options or FX Chain saving.

Also, settings are not recalled after saving and closing a session.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:21 AM   #3
MRMJP

Also, FabFilter settings are not recalled after saving and closing a session with the VST3 version.

What I found with a quick test is that VST3 versions ALL FabFilter plugins are having recall problems in REAPER.

If I save and quit the session, the plugins are in their default state when the session is reopened. Saving REAPER FX Window/FX Chain presets is also impacted.

VST2 and AU versions are OK.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:12 PM   #4
hanstheman

I don't have that problem. You have the latest versions of FabFilter plugins?
I have the same problems with the boz digital plugins except hoser eq which was updated but Boz is working on updating the rest of his plugins for vst3.
FabFilter should work, otherwise I would be crying now...
hanstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:28 PM   #5
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanstheman View Post
I don't have that problem. You have the latest versions of FabFilter plugins?
I have the same problems with the boz digital plugins except hoser eq which was updated but Boz is working on updating the rest of his plugins for vst3.
FabFilter should work, otherwise I would be crying now...
I can double check tomorrow but from what I saw, the VST3 version of FabFilter was not remembering settings on recall or any of the VST3 menu presets. The presets built into the plugin can be loaded OK but the plugin settings are not remembered when the session is closed and reopened.

VST2 and AU versions seem OK. The latest versions of the plugins are installed.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:31 PM   #6
Justin
Administrator

Just tested the evaluation version of the Pro-Q 2 VST3 (v2.05) on OSX here, worked fine...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:33 PM   #7
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Just tested the evaluation version of the Pro-Q 2 VST3 (v2.05) on OSX here, worked fine...
Thanks. I'll take a closer look at this tomorrow, and maybe do a reinstall of the FabFilter plugins.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:33 AM   #8
MRMJP

Quote:
OK, I just triple checked this on my end and the VST3 versions definitely have an issue on my system. See this video:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...PER_RECALL.mov

You'll notice that after reopening the session, the settings in the various FabFilter plugins I used are not recalled. Also, when defining a default preset to load when the plugin launches, that preset doesn't actually load the next time I insert that plugin.

I've also included an export of my configuration as well as the actual little test session I made in my video.

Here is my configuration:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4dczrseuh...ConfigZip?dl=0

Here is the test session:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Case%20001.zip

After I made the video, I tested this on track FX incase maybe it was an item FX only bug, but the same thing happens with track FX too.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:13 PM   #9
Justin
Administrator

What happens if you save the project with the plugin UI open?
Old 10-24-2016, 01:16 PM   #10
MRMJP

Quote:
What happens if you save the project with the plugin UI open?
I just checked. Even when saving and closing the project with the plugin GUI open, the settings are not remembered when reopening the project.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:05 PM   #11
Justin
Administrator

I just did some more tests -- it seems FabFilter won't save its state properly until it has processed audio. So, if you have it on a take FX, and don't play the item after changing the settings, it won't update its state. I'm pretty confident that this is a bug on their end...
Old 10-24-2016, 04:30 PM   #12
MRMJP

Quote:
I just did some more tests -- it seems FabFilter won't save its state properly until it has processed audio. So, if you have it on a take FX, and don't play the item after changing the settings, it won't update its state. I'm pretty confident that this is a bug on their end...
Thanks for looking at this. It's true that I hadn't played any audio as I was just getting my usual presets and default presets loaded up. I didn't think to play any audio yet.

I passed this info on to the FabFilter team. I will also check for this behavior in WaveLab but I don't think this bug exists in WaveLab.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:36 PM   #13
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
Thanks for looking at this. It's true that I hadn't played any audio as I was just getting my usual presets and default presets loaded up. I didn't think to play any audio yet.

I passed this info on to the FabFilter team. I will also check for this behavior in WaveLab but I don't think this bug exists in WaveLab.
It's possible that it might not be "processing audio" exactly, but initializing the audio processing in general, which wavelab might do independent of audio being played.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:53 PM   #14
MRMJP

Quote:
It's possible that it might not be "processing audio" exactly, but initializing the audio processing in general, which wavelab might do independent of audio being played.
Thanks. I'll pass this on to FabFilter.

I just tested for this issue in WaveLab with the VST3 versions and there is no issue there. I even tested by inserting FabFilter plugins on the global master section which you can do without even loading an audio file or montage (session file). So, even without a potential audio file to play, somehow the settings are still retained when the program is closed and reopened.

If there is a way to fix this on REAPER's end, maybe this would also help with some other plugins and other users too. If FabFilter has any info and points the blame at REAPER, I'll follow up with that info.

I'm a little surprised this hasn't been brought up before. I suppose that in the real world, I would always be making changes to the plugin and doing playback so therefor the settings would be saved. Maybe I only noticed this because I wasn't playing any audio, but it also seems to affect the default preset setting that is supposed to load automatically when the plugin loads.

Last edited by MRMJP; 10-25-2016 at 05:18 AM.
MRMJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:18 AM   #15
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
If there is a way to fix this on REAPER's end, maybe this would also help with some other plugins and other users too.
Unless they point the finger at us, I imagine that this would be very rare with other plug-ins...
Old 10-26-2016, 03:16 PM   #16
MRMJP

Quote:
Unless they point the finger at us, I imagine that this would be very rare with other plug-ins...
FabFilter says they will take a look at it. Hopefully it can be resolved as I'd like to switch over to VST3 plugins (or VST when VST3 isn't available) but for now, AU is working great for me other than how AU versions of UAD plugins does not release the UAD DSP when the item containing the UAD plugin isn't being played or rendered as the VST version does.

Also, I'm not sure if this is a VST issue or just an issue from mixing AU and VST plugins on an item, but when have a mixture of AU and VST plugins inserted on an item and select the various plugins while the transport is playing, the audio has some interruptions and is not smooth as it is when you have all AU plugins inserted and move between different plugin GUIs.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:37 AM   #17
MRMJP

FabFilter has confirmed that it looks to be something on their end after all and will be looking into it soon.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:23 AM   #18
MRMJP

Quote:
FabFilter has confirmed that it looks to be something on their end after all and will be looking into it soon.
Hi Justin,

The guys at FabFilter asked me to pass this on to you:

Hi Justin,

I just had time to look into this more deeply. As I posted on our forum, I could reproduce the issue only when adding FX on an item in a track (FX on the entire track work OK) and when not playing audio before saving.

In VST3, the host is responsible for passing parameter changes to the audio processing part, even when audio is not playing. REAPER simply forgets to do this so the problem is on REAPER's end.

Quoting from the VST3 developer documentation:

"Important : the host could call Steinberg::Vst::IAudioProcessor:rocess without buffers (numInputs and numOutputs of Steinberg::Vst::AudioBusBuffers are zeroed, numSamples too), in order to flush parameters (from host to Plug-in). Parameters flush could happen only when the host needs to send parameter changes and no processing is called."
Old 11-19-2016, 05:01 PM   #19
MRMJP

Quote:
Any update on this matter on the REAPER side of things?
Old 02-26-2017, 07:24 AM   #20
MRMJP

FWIW. I just tried again to use the VST3 version of FF Pro-Q2 and this issue still exists. It's standing in the way of moving to all VST/VST3 versions instead of AU which apparently has the PDC reporting problems with some plugins, which can be an issue when using the FX blend knob.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:16 AM   #21
MRMJP

Hey Justin,

Any word about this on your end? I just checked in with FabFilter and they are saying "REAPER is not properly passing changes to the processor in the VST3 plugin when audio is not playing."

Is this something that can be fixed on your end?

Thanks,
Justin
Old 11-14-2017, 06:49 AM   #22
MRMJP

Is there any word on this? There seems to be another related report:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=199509
Old 11-14-2017, 07:07 AM   #23
EvilDragon

Why not use VST2 if it doesn't have any issues? Not to say that VST3 issue shouldn't be fixed, but in general, as far as Reaper is concerned, I always routinely use VST2 even when VST3 is available. Why? Simply because VST3 is obviously not yet implemented at 100% as far as Reaper is concerned.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:18 AM   #24
analogexplosions

I know this is an old thread, but I am coming across this same issue with the VST3 version of Nugen Halo Upmix. Googling the issue brought me here, so I'm bumping this. Latest version of Reaper.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:55 PM   #25
KillFrenzy

Default The issue still persists

I have the same issue as the OP with all VST3 versions of FabFilter plugins.
Isn't there AT LEAST a workaround for this problem?
This is extremely annoying, specially when working with templates.
KillFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:01 PM   #26
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillFrenzy View Post
I have the same issue as the OP with all VST3 versions of FabFilter plugins.
Isn't there AT LEAST a workaround for this problem?
This is extremely annoying, specially when working with templates.
This seems like a classic case of Cockos blaming FabFilter and FabFilter blaming Cockos if it's still not fixed.

I haven't had time to test it lately so I just stick with AU versions.

I'd love to migrate all my plugin instances to VST for various reasons but it's things like this that hold me back.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:54 PM   #27
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Quoting from the VST3 developer documentation:

"Important : the host could call Steinberg::Vst::IAudioProcessor:: process without buffers (numInputs and numOutputs of Steinberg::Vst::AudioBusBuffers are zeroed, numSamples too), in order to flush parameters (from host to Plug-in). Parameters flush could happen only when the host needs to send parameter changes and no processing is called."[/B]
That is indeed in the documentation, however it says "could", and only requires that plug-ins should handle the case where the buffers are zeroed, in case the host needs to send parameter changes (e.g. if it wants to change the parameters when adjusting the edit cursor and parameters are automated) -- not that it is a requirement to call it in order to have the plug-in's own controller communicate parameter changes to the plug-in's own processor.

Edit: well whatever, we'll fix this anyway in 5.81pre13 (though probably not in the eventual 5.81 release since it's a nontrivial fix that will take a bit of testing).

Last edited by Justin; 05-11-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:36 AM   #28
Justin
Administrator

If you get a chance, please test 5.92pre2 with this to make sure it's still working properly, thanks!
Old 06-08-2018, 07:37 AM   #29
MRMJP

Quote:
If you get a chance, please test 5.92pre2 with this to make sure it's still working properly, thanks!
Will do, thanks for looking into it further!
Old 06-08-2018, 06:29 PM   #30
MRMJP

This seems better except for one detail. When I saved as an FX chain, one EQ band of the Pro-Q 2 that was changed but disabled was not recalled.

When saving in the REAPER FX Preset menu for just the Pro-Q 2 itself, everything seems OK including any bands that are disabled as the plugin calls it.

I haven't been able to fully run it though it's paces but it seems like a huge improvement.