Pls provide some solutions please....
Move to Windows.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:47 AM   #42
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by svijayrathinam View Post
The stuttered playback of video is more obvious if you have a big screen. Please try to connect a big tv as a secondary monitor and try... I have connected mine to a 55 inch tv
What refresh rate is that monitor set to?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:07 AM   #43
svijayrathinam
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
What refresh rate is that monitor set to?
The Video is playing on a Samsung 55 inch 4K TV. Samsung's refresh rate is 30Hertz. Resolution is 3840X2160

Reaper edit window is in an LG Ultrawide 32 inch monitor. LG's refresh rate is 50Hz resolution is 3440X1440
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:26 AM   #44
EvilDragon

Hmmm, refresh rate mismatch. That could very well be the culprit?
Old 10-21-2017, 07:30 AM   #45
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Hmmm, refresh rate mismatch. That could very well be the culprit?
But pls bear in mind that this issue occurs in my laptop too with just one scree..There is no mismatch there...
Old 10-21-2017, 02:36 PM   #46
Justin
Administrator

I've tested the project+media on a stock REAPER config on a mid-2012 Retina MBP running 10.12 (both internal screen and a thunderbolt display), and a mid-2014 Retina MBP running 10.13, both play back perfectly. Hmph. We'll get to the bottom of this eventually...
Old 10-22-2017, 03:52 AM   #47
svijayrathinam

Quote:
I've tested the project+media on a stock REAPER config on a mid-2012 Retina MBP running 10.12 (both internal screen and a thunderbolt display), and a mid-2014 Retina MBP running 10.13, both play back perfectly. Hmph. We'll get to the bottom of this eventually...
I really wish that's the case for me!! This video bug has been driving me insane!! I am still continuing to work with it...😂😂. Really hope this gets sorted quickly...
Old 10-22-2017, 06:57 AM   #48
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
I really wish that's the case for me!! This video bug has been driving me insane!! I am still continuing to work with it...😂😂. Really hope this gets sorted quickly...
For now maybe set REAPER to send MTC and sync to that with something else?
Old 10-22-2017, 07:12 AM   #49
svijayrathinam

Quote:
For now maybe set REAPER to send MTC and sync to that with something else?

I tried that with non lethal weapons video slave but since reaper doesn't support MMC I couldn't seek video while editing..But thats what I am doing when I have clients...Thx...
Old 10-23-2017, 11:52 PM   #50
svijayrathinam

A quick update.. I borrowed my friend's windows laptop configuration is as follows

Intel core i3 processor 2ghz
4GB RAM
Running windows 8
AMD radeon R5M330 graphics, Intel HD graphics 5500

I tried to run a 1080p mkv video file... I ran into the same issue I am facing on my Mac. The same video plays absolutely fine in VLC player in the same laptop... I am actually not concerned about windows ... But since it was said in the previous posts I was curious to try...
Old 10-27-2017, 06:23 AM   #51
svijayrathinam

Any Update on this pls..help....
Old 10-28-2017, 11:55 AM   #52
mavericksound

I occasionally have this jitter problem with only certain videos. I usually just run the video through Handbrake and reconvert it at the same 1080P resolution, and so far it has always cleaned it up. Comes out as mp4.
mavericksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:02 PM   #53
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavericksound View Post
I occasionally have this jitter problem with only certain videos. I usually just run the video through Handbrake and reconvert it at the same 1080P resolution, and so far it has always cleaned it up. Comes out as mp4.
I have tried every format and every codec that's advised in the forum. Prores, H264,MJPEG, DNX HD etc.. None of this makes any difference. I am certain this is not a codec issue
Old 10-28-2017, 12:12 PM   #54
EvilDragon

OK so why does it work just fine for Justin (and over here, too), then, using the very same VLC?
Old 10-28-2017, 12:22 PM   #55
svijayrathinam

Quote:
OK so why does it work just fine for Justin (and over here, too), then, using the very same VLC?
I would love to hear an answer for that... Pls... If one of the admins can take a look at my computer over TeamViewer... I believe that could help...
Old 10-30-2017, 06:41 AM   #56
RobinGShore

I use video in Reaper all the time. Usually it works great but I did experience something very similar to this a few months ago. Audio would play back just fine but the video would stutter or drop frames every other second or so. Turned out to be a random hardware problem unrelated to Reaper or my video files. After several hours of troubleshooting I discovered I had a flaky USB hub that was constantly losing it's connection to the computer then reconnecting a moment later. Once I unplugged the hub the problem went away.

I'm not suggesting the issue your having is exactly the same, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of some external factors causing the problem. You may need to literally start thinking "outside the box" to solve this.
RobinGShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:30 AM   #57
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinGShore View Post
I use video in Reaper all the time. Usually it works great but I did experience something very similar to this a few months ago. Audio would play back just fine but the video would stutter or drop frames every other second or so. Turned out to be a random hardware problem unrelated to Reaper or my video files. After several hours of troubleshooting I discovered I had a flaky USB hub that was constantly losing it's connection to the computer then reconnecting a moment later. Once I unplugged the hub the problem went away.

I'm not suggesting the issue your having is exactly the same, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of some external factors causing the problem. You may need to literally start thinking "outside the box" to solve this.
Again..in my case this cannot be the problem as it happens in every one of my computers. Even on a laptop with nothing plugged in. The same video plays perfectly in other DAWs, VLC, Quicktime etc. Pls guys..this has been a never ending issue for me. Pls someone help me with this and put me out of my misery...
Old 11-14-2017, 10:07 PM   #58
svijayrathinam

Any update on this please? Please help by fixing this
Old 11-15-2017, 12:46 AM   #59
EvilDragon

If devs cannot replicate your issue, that makes it much much harder to fix. Don't expect miracles here...
Old 11-15-2017, 07:46 AM   #60
juliansader

Quote:
Again..in my case this cannot be the problem as it happens in every one of my computers. Even on a laptop with nothing plugged in. The same video plays perfectly in other DAWs, VLC, Quicktime etc. Pls guys..this has been a never ending issue for me. Pls someone help me with this and put me out of my misery...
Could you perhaps upload the problematic video somewhere? If the problem is with the codec, it may cause similar problems on other users' DAWs.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:02 AM   #61
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Could you perhaps upload the problematic video somewhere? If the problem is with the codec, it may cause similar problems on other users' DAWs.
I have one of his video files and it plays smoothly on my system.

Nothing out of the ordinary with the video
mp4
1920x1080
h.264, AAC
HD (1-1-1)
4:2:0 YUV

I sent Vijay my reaper.ini hoping that might help
Old 11-17-2017, 09:05 AM   #62
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
The problem doesn't happen with one video codec. It happens in every codec that we use in professional film world. I tried pro res HQ, prores LT, avid DNX HD, H264, MJPEG etc...
Old 11-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #63
EvilDragon

It makes no sense why it wouldn't work for you but it works for EpicSounds... You both use Mac.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #64
svijayrathinam

Quote:
It makes no sense why it wouldn't work for you but it works for EpicSounds... You both use Mac.
I totally agree with what you say. But if this issue is sorted I will be the happiest person. Trust me. I have every setting the way it is recommended and jon is a witness for it
Old 11-17-2017, 09:56 AM   #65
EvilDragon

I am not sure how it will ever be sorted since it seems to be such a very isolated case, and there hasn't been a reply from Justin since (and you sent him your project, video and .ini and it worked fine on his side...). You are literally the only person reporting such an issue.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:52 PM   #66
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
I am not sure how it will ever be sorted since it seems to be such a very isolated case, and there hasn't been a reply from Justin since (and you sent him your project, video and .ini and it worked fine on his side...). You are literally the only person reporting such an issue.
I'm sympathetic to the OP, but I haven't been able to reproduce on a variety of test systems, and the fact that this issue seems incredibly rare but is experienced by the OP on multiple computers (including a Windows-based machine, if I'm not mistaken), leads me to believe there is something odd going on with the OPs computers/setup or something. If they want to bring a computer that has this issue to NYC (or ship it), I'll happily look into it more. Short of that, though, there's not much I can do.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:20 PM   #67
svijayrathinam

Quote:
I'm sympathetic to the OP, but I haven't been able to reproduce on a variety of test systems, and the fact that this issue seems incredibly rare but is experienced by the OP on multiple computers (including a Windows-based machine, if I'm not mistaken), leads me to believe there is something odd going on with the OPs computers/setup or something. If they want to bring a computer that has this issue to NYC (or ship it), I'll happily look into it more. Short of that, though, there's not much I can do.
Hi Justin,

Would you be kind enough to have a look at my computer over TeamViewer once and give a shot? If that doesn't work out... I can ship one of my laptops to NYC.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:25 PM   #68
svijayrathinam

Quote:
I am very sure there is nothing strange going on in my computer. I even tried on my neighbor's computer. Surely there is nothing strange in every one of the computer I touch. All other audio apps like protools, Nuendo, logic plays the same video files perfectly in all these computers. I seriously fail to understand how can this be a problem in all my computers. I kindly request you to give a shot to my computer over TeamViewer.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:35 PM   #69
svijayrathinam

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=166487

Pls look at this thread. This OP seems to have the same problem I have on a windows computer.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:07 PM   #70
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Hi Justin,

Would you be kind enough to have a look at my computer over TeamViewer once and give a shot? If that doesn't work out... I can ship one of my laptops to NYC.
I don’t think teamviewer will be of use, since it’s a performance issue and in that case observing would be affecting the performance.

If you want to send a laptop, email me at justin at cockos dot com...
Old 11-24-2017, 07:34 PM   #71
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
I am very sure there is nothing strange going on in my computer.
I'm not saying that there's something specifically wrong with it, just that there's something on it that is causing this issue. Hopefully it's something we can fix on our side, but until I can test/experiment in person, there's not much I can do. Email me if you you want to ship a laptop that duplicates, I'll test and hopefully figure out what's going on, then send back.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:49 AM   #72
ivansc

Been watching this thread with interest.

One out of left field for ya.

What mains voltage and frequency do you have where you are? How reliable is the V F and A supply in general?
Old 01-05-2018, 08:28 AM   #73
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Been watching this thread with interest.

One out of left field for ya.

What mains voltage and frequency do you have where you are? How reliable is the V F and A supply in general?

I dont understand why this would influence reaper's video playback. The same videos plays back perfectly in the same computers on other DAWs like Protools, Logic Pro, Nuendo.

Guys Pls..someone pls help !! This bug has been driving me insane !! I swear that I get this error on every computer I have ever installed reaper on. In short I have never seen reaper play a video properly. Please..J dont know what to say here..I wont be able to take a trip to new york with my laptop or ship my laptop to new york. But is there any paid support for reaper online ? Anyone pls ??
Old 01-05-2018, 08:31 AM   #74
EvilDragon

There's no paid support for Reaper. Your best bet is indeed shipping the laptop to NYC for the devs to check what's up. For the rest of us video works fine, so we're all stumped, including the devs. Main dev of Reaper said "but until I can test/experiment in person, there's not much I can do", soooo... if you don't send the laptop, nothing can be done to fix your issue!
Old 01-05-2018, 09:01 AM   #75
svijayrathinam

Quote:
There's no paid support for Reaper. Your best bet is indeed shipping the laptop to NYC for the devs to check what's up. For the rest of us video works fine, so we're all stumped, including the devs. Main dev of Reaper said "but until I can test/experiment in person, there's not much I can do", soooo... if you don't send the laptop, nothing can be done to fix your issue!
This is really not practical..I would agree if this happens in one computer then i can say its the computer's fault or somthing wrong with the config. But it happens in every computer even on a windows...!!

Infact day before yesterday I installed (in a dolby atmos mix stage) on a 12 core mac pro cylinder, 64 Gig RAM (the top of the line mac pro) with 2 monitor setups (The second monitor being a BARCO 32B Projector). The issue still exists. The same computer with the same config with the same video plays absolutely fine in protools.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:06 AM   #76
EvilDragon

Sooooo, how do you explain thousands of other Reaper users not reporting anything remotely similar to the issue you're having?

Practical or not, your only/last solution is indeed to ship one of your devices to Cockos for checkup.

You wouldn't get that sort of service from any other DAW vendor, rest assured.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:11 AM   #77
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Sooooo, how do you explain thousands of other Reaper users not reporting anything remotely similar to the issue you're having?

Practical or not, your only/last solution is indeed to ship one of your devices to Cockos for checkup.

You wouldn't get that sort of service from any other DAW vendor, rest assured.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=166487

That user seem to be having a similar issue and I see that even he didnt get a solution. I think if you need more users to complain I would have to tell the people on whose computers I tried installing reaper to sign up to the reaper forum and complain. Now these people I speak of are not reaper users normally. They are all protools users so they wouldnt bother. But if thats the only option that you give me then I will push them to sign up to reaper forum and report the bug. I am reporting repeatedly coz i love this program to bits..and I use it everyday and it had made my life so much easier in many ways !! I would love to see this only bug go away !!

Inspite of this bug I am using it everyday..I hope you can appreciate my passion for this app..All I am requesting is for a little help online over team viewer. If that time needs to be paid for I am prepared to do that. But telling me to send a laptop to New york from india is really not practical.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:20 AM   #78
EvilDragon

Also... what changed from your previous statement here?

Quote:
Hi Justin,

I am not sure Justin could sort this issue out over TeamViewer...
Old 01-05-2018, 09:25 AM   #79
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Also... what changed from your previous statement here?

I am not sure Justin could sort this issue out over TeamViewer...

I thought about it and its not practical for me.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:29 AM   #80
karbomusic

Quote:
I think if you need more users to complain I would have to tell the people on whose computers
# of users complaining doesn't help, it's an issue of being able to repro in order to debug. The only thing about multiple users that would help is if some particular and relevant pattern about their setup was found. Team viewer likely won't work because this is a video issue and trying to repro using a remote support app that spends all it's time shipping video frames over the wire is going to muddy the waters so terribly it's likely impossible for troubleshooting a video performance issue.