Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 10-06-2017, 03:21 AM   #1
Iokanaan
Human being with feelings

Default Compatibility issue on Mac with projects created on PC

Hello,

I'm used to work on Reaper on PC at home and to bring some work on my Macbook (laptop) when I travel. Very recently, as I am travelling, I am experiencing a very serious compatibility problem. The recent projects I made on PC (I made the test with 2 of them which are the same project at different stage of evolution), I can not open them properly on mac.

When I do open them in mac, the issue can take several forms :
- either it seems to open properly but I can not save the project in a new one after having made Reaper "search" for the missing files (I always have to make this "search" audio files step while tranfering from PC to mac), Reaper either says impossible to create a saved project or simply does not open the "save as window.
- either I simply can not access to the menus "file, edit, action, etc..". When I click on them, blank space appear.
- another notable issue : when I open these projects on mac, I can not access anymore to the JS effects, as if they were not installed, and Reaper reports those already included in the project to be missing.
- and just for the record. If I skip the "search files" step by clicking on "ignore all missing files", then everything works fine, I have my JS effects, I can "save as", etc... Everything is ok... except that I don't have any audio to work with

To sum up, those projects coming from a desktop PC DO work properly on a laptop PC, but NOT on my macbook Pro, and make the whole software bug - even with the last 5.52 version installed.

Would anyone know how I could solve the problem ?

Thank you in advance.
Regards.

Last edited by Iokanaan; 10-06-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Iokanaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:49 AM   #2
Iokanaan

Anyone ? Someone from Cockos maybe ? Because I believe, apart from the fact that it is a little bit annying for me (a pain in the ass would be more accurate, actually), I think this is not a minor issue.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:53 AM   #3
cfillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iokanaan View Post
- either I simply can not access to the menus "file, edit, action, etc..". When I click on them, blank space appear.
Are you using SWS older than v2.9.7 on High Sierra? If so this (or something similar) was fixed in the latest SWS update.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:02 AM   #4
Iokanaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
Are you using SWS older than v2.9.7 on High Sierra? If so this was fixed in the latest SWS update.
I am not using SWS anymore, I have already uninstalled everything and tried to install a previous version of Reaper - and I did not install sws again. It did not work, do I did put again Reaper64 5.52. And I am on El Capitan (OSX 10.11.6).

Apart from that, when the problem occured at first, I had touched nothing (update or so) on my Reaper on my Mac since May, date of my last travel when the transfer actually worked.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:53 AM   #5
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Whenever something is getting weird, OSX people recommend repairing disk permissions and checking the system for corrupted plist files. Part of your description sounds a bit like some kind of permission problem.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10331328-263.html

Are the projects acting uhp when you load them without plugins? Are they large (many items etc.)?
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:47 PM   #6
Iokanaan

I was certain to have replied on that subject and I just realized that my reply was not posted. Dammit.

Thanks Ollie for the link. It does not seem to fit to my situation as I have made the test on another macbbok whose OS is far more recent than mine and the issue remains the same.

Yes, the project is very big, it's the one on which I have actually all the album I'm working on right now (Midi and audio), with all the tracks, but I don't think the issue comes from this for several reasons :
- ancien versions of the project (and not so ancient, few months before) which were more or less as big still work on the mac without any issue.
- i have tried to reduce it to the minimum I needed for the part of the work I was doing, deleting most of the tracks - entailig projects far smaller than those ancient ones which still work. The issue remains.

Apart from that, no, I don't have tried to load it without the plugins. I did not even know the manipulation was possible. But I really don't think it comes from the effects as I use very few FX that are external from Reaper and because when I ignore the missing audio files, I have no problem at all loading the effects - nor the entire project, actually. The message of a loading issue of the FX occurs only after the bug on the audio missing files - and I think, therefore, it is a consequence, not a cause.

I don't know if this makes my situation more clear to you. I hope my message will be posted this time.

Thanks again for the reply and for taking some of your time to try and solve my issue. I will soon have to travel again and would be really glad to manage to bring some work to do with my laptop