Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 11-17-2017, 02:54 PM   #1
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

Default Live Configs FR: Select Target Track

When using Live Configs, I can't find a way to automatically select the Target Track when changing configs.

E.G. I have scripts to toggle track fx by name, so I can just generically call distortion plugins "distortion" on every track, and toggle my distortion plugin contextually based on track selection. But I need the Target Track to be selected for it to work properly.

Any way to do this? Kinda seems like an oversight that track selection doesn't change when loading configs, imo, considering there is an option to scroll the view... FR?

Last edited by foxAsteria; 11-18-2017 at 02:52 AM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:03 PM   #2
mschnell

What do you mean by "select the target track" ?

LiveConfigs can mute all other tracks and unmute one track (which is the "basic" functionality).

Moreover it can push configurations (i.e. set parameters) onto any plugin loaded on the umuted track.

Moreover it can fire Reaper events which in turn can start ReaScripts (I did not test this yet).

LiveConfigs is meant to "configure" the project. I don't see why it should "select" anything.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:00 PM   #3
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
What do you mean by "select the target track" ?
I mean just that; select the track that Live Configs affects. I do have it mute the other tracks, but many actions are designed to affect the selected track and since changing the config doesn't bother changing the track, I can't switch configs and use selected track actions without also remembering to look at the screen and make sure the unmuted track is selected.

If I select a configuration in Live configs, only the input track, the target track and sends are unmuted, so why would I want one of the muted tracks to remain selected? Any of those 'selected track' actions will be useless. By giving Live Configs the option to also select the one track that it is designed to act upon, it increases functionality by allowing all of those 'selected track' actions to be used in a meaningful way.

Bottom line
: Unless Live Configs also selects the track it acts upon, using Live Configs in conjunction with the many 'selected track' actions is not a hands-free operation, making it less suitable to live use.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:00 AM   #4
mschnell

I understand that it might be handy to have an action or script triggered by LiveConfigs that is done to act on the selected track, so that the same action/sctipt can be used in multiple "lines" of the LiveConfigs "page".

Hence it could be desirable if LiveConfig would have an option allowing to select the track it unmutes. (A slight contradiction to LiveConfigs working "behind the screens", but anyway...)

Selecting a track is not really necessary, as each "line" could trigger a dedicated action/script that works on that dedicated track instead of the selected one.

Moreover I suppose you could use an action that selects the appropriate track in a script triggered by LiveConfigs. (I did not use ReaScripts yet, so I am not very knowlageable on that issue.)

-Michael
Old 11-18-2017, 12:31 AM   #5
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Selecting a track is not really necessary, as each "line" could trigger a dedicated action/script that works on that dedicated track instead of the selected one.
Firstly, there is an option to perform an action when changing configs, but I could find no scripts or action combinations to change track selection based on the Live Configs selection. If it exists, I'm happy to use it.

Secondly, not sure how that would be preferable, since then we'd need to create or designate an action for every "line"/config, rather than just know that the target track is also the selected track and act accordingly.

Honestly I'm confused by your resistance to the idea. Can you think of any situation wherein it would be detrimental to optionally select the target track when changing configs? AFAICT Live Configs only stands to benefit from such an option.

Btw how is reconfiguring fx chains, presets and track mutes more "behind the scenes" than selecting a track? To me that's like saying replacing a femur with a crowbar is less obvious or invasive than a doctor tapping your leg and saying, "here's where you're going notice the surgery taking place."
Old 11-18-2017, 01:49 AM   #6
mschnell

In fact I don't resist to that additional option to be provided. (I also wrote exactly that in a previous post: "...might be handy...".)

But as the option to additionally set the track selection to the unmuted track does not exist in the current distribution of SWS, I just try to provide information for usable alternatives. I.e.: dedicated event for each config, starting a dedicated ReaScript, which selects the track and after that links to what your current action does. I suppose this will work, but I never did ReaScripts up till now.

For me this is not mission critical, but it might be for others.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 11-18-2017 at 01:55 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:51 AM   #7
foxAsteria

Idk, it was just odd to me learning the way Live Configs worked. It didn't work at all like I expected it to, so I spent a while rethinking my idea and adapting it to the way it works, only to find it wouldn't completely work that way either. It would just be great to have the option and I could really use it as it is.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:47 AM   #8
mschnell

Unfortunately the original developer of SWS (Jeffos) is not active with this any more.

On the long run I suppose I might take on the work of maintaining LiveConfigs in some way (I already wrote an extended LiveConigs user guide). I did talk about this with the current maintainer of the other parts of SWS, who claims not to be knowledgeable about the LiveConfigs wherabouts.

So don't hold your breath.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 11-19-2017 at 02:55 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:12 AM   #9
foxAsteria

Scheisse. Ok well thanks anyways. What happened to Jeffos? I thought he was on the Reaper team, but that appears no longer to be the case.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:03 PM   #10
foxAsteria

Actually you know what? You're right, I can just use a console command action in Cycle Actions to select each track by name... Sorry, sometimes I get hung up on details. That should work fine.

Still, it would be cool to have the track select option, or even a way to run a console command directly
from Live Configs.

Oh shit, even better, I can just select tracks by number directly from Live Configs. There's no need to rearrange the order in the setup.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 11-18-2017 at 05:15 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:56 AM   #11
mschnell

Great

REAPER ROCKS !!!!

SWS ROCKS as well !!!

-Michael