Old 02-03-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
Dr Bob
Human being with feelings

Default Good basic usb2 audio i/f for Win 7?

Got new machine - quad core, dual disk, with Windows 7 (64-bit). Don't want to delve inside until the warranty is up. No firewire supplied on this model.

So, until then, I want a basic 2in-2out usb2 audio i/f which has decent stable drivers for Windows 7.

After warranty is up then a firewire card + i/f or a PCIe i/f will be installed ...

Anyone here using these? I see loads of usb1.1 things (but I think the extra speed of usb2 ought to be a consideration).

Most manufacturers don't seem to do Windows 7 drivers, or say use the XP or Vista ones. Sort of a cop out?

TIA

db
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
ArmAndPlatter

check m-audio. I am using a fast track 8r USB 2.0, which is a bit more than you are looking for, but I run it on my laptop Windows 7 64 bit and my desktop Windows XP 64. They have some 2 in and 2 out fast tracks. I have not had any problems with my and I use it to record bands 2 to 3 times a month.
ArmAndPlatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:57 AM   #3
Dr Bob

Thanks A&P ... I basically want a stopgap which gives a decent quiet stereo out so I can get on with some mixing ... the on-board stuff, as per usual, is crepe! But, with Win7, it's a down to finding a decent i/f with the O/S support.

Why are so many devices out there USB 1.1??? Surely USB 2.0 has been out long enough for these to have died off ...

Will a USB 1.1 audio i/f be fast enough??? Or should I really go for a 2.0?

My audio sources at the moment are all 16-bit, 44.1Khz raw waveforms taken from my Yamaha AW16G. I simply burn them to CD on the AW, and copy them over to the PC. In a funny way, it's a backup system too!!!

So, I am not into an ultra high performance system, just a "capable" system.

db
Old 02-04-2010, 06:07 AM   #4
Mich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
Why are so many devices out there USB 1.1??? Surely USB 2.0 has been out long enough for these to have died off ...
First if you don't need the bandwidth of USB 2.0 why should you use it? USB 2.0 is only necessary for multitrack or when doing full duplex at higher bandwidth and bit rates such as 24bit/96kHz.

Quote:
Will a USB 1.1 audio i/f be fast enough??? Or should I really go for a 2.0?
Why shouldn't the USB 1.1 interface be fast enough. If it would be too slow that would mean that if couldn't be used! Do you think manufactures sell interfaces that won't work and are not going to work _by design_?

Quote:
My audio sources at the moment are all 16-bit, 44.1Khz raw waveforms taken from my Yamaha AW16G. I simply burn them to CD on the AW, and copy them over to the PC. In a funny way, it's a backup system too!!!

So, I am not into an ultra high performance system, just a "capable" system.
If your needs are stereo 16bit/44.1kHz then you do not need a USB 2.0 interface. If this is true then there is the good news for that kind of audio the USB specification defines a standard interface called USB Audio. So __most__ USB 1.1 audio devices will use it and there is no need for special driver and _should_ just work out of the box. While USB 2.0 doesn't have a common standard (as far as I know) thus there are drivers required.

Anyway a good cheap audio interface I found was the Behringer UCA202, which doesn't need drivers (even not under Linux) though there are ASIO drivers available (also for Windows 7 x64: http://www.behringer.de/EN/Products/....aspx#software). Only downside with this device is, it is only 16bit/48kHz (max).
Somemore facts: RMAA: http://www.birotechnology.com/soundc..._line-line.htm , it uses a TI Burr-Brown chipset (PCM2902E) which might not be super high spec'd but is quality.

Anyway depending on your needs you might fare better with a USB 2.0 or another more expensive USB 1.1 device.
Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
Dr Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich View Post
First if you don't need the bandwidth of USB 2.0 why should you use it? USB 2.0 is only necessary for multitrack or when doing full duplex at higher bandwidth and bit rates such as 24bit/96kHz.
Thanks Mich, the only reason to use a usb audio device is to get some decent audio OUT of the machine as the on-board (7.1) line out is to noisey for me until such time as I get a decent sound card for the box. Am basically feeding a big (100w/ch) NAD amp (my old ex-mid-fi amp) and some small studio monitors (rather than the older huge Mission 770's, now in the loft!).

I take point of usb 1.1 vs usb 2.0, thanks.

db
Old 02-04-2010, 06:56 AM   #6
oerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmAndPlatter View Post
check m-audio. I am using a fast track 8r USB 2.0, which is a bit more than you are looking for, but I run it on my laptop Windows 7 64 bit and my desktop Windows XP 64. They have some 2 in and 2 out fast tracks. I have not had any problems with my and I use it to record bands 2 to 3 times a month.
Seconding M-Audio. I have a MobilePre USB, and while being very low end, it's pretty quiet and the x64 drivers work like a charm.

Only 16bit/44.1kHz though.
oerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:01 AM   #7
Dr Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by oerk View Post
Seconding M-Audio. I have a MobilePre USB, and while being very low end, it's pretty quiet and the x64 drivers work like a charm.

Only 16bit/44.1kHz though.
Thanks oerk,

Just been looking at the m-audio stuff, the MobilePre looks a good bet as I also have a laptop so later it could relocate itself ;-)

May just do that. 16bit/44.1 not a problem for my basic use. How are the actual pre's? Most people say that anything other than top end stuff "sucks". But, e.g. would they be Ok with say RV10/RV8 Red5Audio mics? Would save carting extra kit around.

db
Old 02-04-2010, 08:18 AM   #8
griz lee

focusrite's saffire usb offering:

http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardwa...e-6-usb--67804

If it sounds as good as the rest of the range it'll be worth having.
griz lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #9
Finnish

Some say it works and some (I say..) it doesn't, but EMU usb-products are amazing in price/quality-category. It's just those drivers are a bit old..

For you, maybe a 0202 USB would be da thing.