Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 01-21-2018, 02:23 PM   #1
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Default Simple Guitar control setup with MIDI pedalboard?

I'm going to attempt to somewhat replicate the convenience of my iOS guitar setup in REAPER, and use all the advantages that something with actual VST plugins can give. When we used to run our kids thru a reaper setup live, I had one reaper track set to clean guitar and another for distortion, and I would switch them myself thru VNC. It was set up so when one was active, the other was muted.

Is there a way to switch channels this same way over MIDI? Should I be looking at SWS Live Configs, or is there a simpler way to just turn on or off channel (n) with midi?

Can I set reaper to say, MIDI PC1 unmutes track 1, mutes all other channels, MIDI PC2 unmutes track 2, mutes all other channels, etc? What about tricks to deal with any switching delay? Maybe activate a spillover reverb send or something?
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:05 PM   #2
hwhalen
Human being with feelings

If you're using a VST as the amp sound you can use midi notes or cc values to arm channels, switch amp channels etc... PC values are mainly used to change amp presets. I've used Line 6 Podfarm as well as LePou plugs and control em with midi via an FCB1010. Is this what you're interested in?
hwhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:33 PM   #3
karbomusic

I have an FX chain somewhere that allows toggling between guitar tones via MIDI footswitch. Actually, here is a thread reference from 2012...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I just set it up using the lodigy and it works perfectly with a single button. All I did was place two amp sims in the same FX chain (one clean, one dirty) but set one of them bypassed and the other enabled. I then used the learn > bypass function and pressed the lodigy button. I also chose the mode ">0toggle" in the learn settings. I did this for each amp sim assigning them both the exact same midi command. Since one is already bypassed and the other is not it effectively toggles between the two amp sims by toggling bypass states on both sims at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFw2J2R73V0[/

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=111593

Last edited by karbomusic; 01-21-2018 at 03:40 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I really want to use it to switch entire reaper channels, as most of the VSTs take quite a long time to switch presets.

BenK and others have a way to do this with CC's and SWS Live configs, but I really just want to basically exclusive solo certain channels with MIDI messages. I don't think solo would be the way to go since, at least back in REAPER 1 days, solo acted differently to the audio system than mute did
Old 01-21-2018, 03:41 PM   #5
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
I really want to use it to switch entire reaper channels, as most of the VSTs take quite a long time to switch presets.
Flipping enabled on two different VSTs is fairly instant. See above.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:21 PM   #6
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Ahhh that might actually do it, let me have a look