Old 01-22-2018, 03:37 PM   #1
albatteur
Human being with feelings

Default Are we all vunerable?

On this gif, via a few command lines in Powershell with win10x64, everything is ok but the detection apps tell me that I am vulnerable to Spectre. And I think that's the case for a lot of people despite patches and updates to the bios and programs. And some too old bios will not be updated. I have a recent system. Gigabyte Z170 X UD5 TH Gigabyte card (for thunderbolt and TB UAD card)+ processor I7 6700k + one 16 gig ram Corsair Lpx vengeance. I don't feel any slowdowns.I did a test before and after with CPUZ and nothing changed in terms of performance. But it may depend on some programs. Do you also have this problem with Spectre?

albatteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:55 PM   #2
EvilDragon

Every currently available CPU is vulnerable to Spectre.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:55 PM   #3
Jason Lyon

The way I understand it, Spectre and Meltdown are similar but different ways to exploit speculative code execution to circumvent protected memory access.

To translate into Humanish, the basic issue is that modern processors are capable of saving time by not thinking "IF THEN ELSE" - they think "temporarily calculate both THEN and ELSE while waiting for result of IF, then throw away the unwanted result".

Problem is that because of this time saving measure, it's possible for one piece of code to reach beyond its permitted memory space and find the unwanted results produced by other pieces of code running at the same time.

So with cunningly applied timed loop handling, working at the memory address level, a piece of code access to data it shouldn't be able to see.It's more complicated, but that's the gist.

A Meltdown exploit is the easiest to program, and mitigation patches have already been released for most OSes (hence the debate about performance degradation).

A Spectre exploit is much harder to program (and executes slower), and current wisdom is that it has to be mitigated via firmware patching (they're very much still at the beta stage with that) if not ultimately hardware replacement.

The other thing is that Meltdown is one kind of attack which can be isolated and blocked, but it's theoretically possible to produce many different kinds of Spectre attacks.

Without wishing to be complacent, I'd say that most hackers aren't computer geniuses capable of coding right at the metal. Most malware involves a large chunk of "off the shelf" code with their nasty payload stapled onto it. But still, the game is on between bad guys and good guys.

All current processors are vulnerable to a greater or lesser degree. For now... courage et confiance, mon brave.

Last edited by Jason Lyon; 01-23-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Jason Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:17 AM   #4
albatteur

Thank you Jason for answering me thoroughly. I am a bit paranoid with these problems because my computer is my work tool. I've read a lot about Spectre and Meltdown but I don't have enough knowledge to feel comfortable enough. It's always a pleasure to read more competent people than I do.
Thank you for that clarification.
Au plaisir.
albatteur is offline   Reply With Quote