COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 11-01-2017, 03:27 PM   #201
Bobflip
Human being with feelings

Thanks for the reply! I'd tried that at first but then had trouble converting from const char* to char*, and so far I've been using char *name[length] to create strings.

Code:
char *chartemp[50];
string stringtemp;
stringtemp = myPlugPrefs.ReadValue<string>("First Name", "FirstName", "defaultgroup");

*chartemp = stringtemp.c_str();
Bobflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:33 PM   #202
Youlean

Why not just:
Code:
char* c = (char*)myPlugPrefs.ReadValue<string>("First Name", "FirstName", "defaultgroup").c_str();
Old 11-01-2017, 03:59 PM   #203
Bobflip

That's a lot cleaner of course! I usually separate things out when I'm trying to figure out what's wrong.

It's not worked out though. I've put a breakpoint after the line you suggested, and Visual Studio says 'identifier "c" is undefined'
Old 11-01-2017, 04:09 PM   #204
Youlean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobflip View Post
That's a lot cleaner of course! I usually separate things out when I'm trying to figure out what's wrong.

It's not worked out though. I've put a breakpoint after the line you suggested, and Visual Studio says 'identifier "c" is undefined'
Than use your method...
Old 11-01-2017, 04:26 PM   #205
Bobflip

But I can't get it working with my method either :-/
Old 11-01-2017, 04:27 PM   #206
Youlean

Post full code here.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:07 PM   #207
Bobflip

in IPlugEffect.h:

Code:
char firstName[40], lastName[40], serialNumber[16];
in IPlugEffect.cpp:

Code:
sprintf(firstName, "empty");
firstName = (char*)myPlugPrefs.ReadValue<string>("First Name", "FirstName", "defaultgroup").c_str();
pFirstName->SetString(firstName);

and pFirstName is a text entry box control derived from IControl with the following:

Code:
char outputString[40];
void TextEntryBox::PrintText(char *outputString);

void TextEntryBox::SetString(char *input) {

strcpy(outputString, input);

}
The control pFirstName correctly draws the string "empty" if I comment out the firstName = (char*)myPlugPrefs line.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:13 PM   #208
Youlean

First of all, do yourself a favor and use WDL or STL containers like string or WDL_String. You should avoid strcpy every time if possible.

Your problem is here. You can't draw to char buffer like this.
Code:
firstName = (char*)myPlugPrefs.ReadValue<string>("First Name", "FirstName", "defaultgroup").c_str();
I suggest to read some book about C++ or watch some tutorials..
Old 11-01-2017, 06:07 PM   #209
Bobflip

Heheh, I actually have in my to-do list to convert all the string operations to use either string or WDL_String! Was hoping I'd be able to put it off until later, but it was certainly in mind. I'm not always using strcpy, just put that there in an attempt to fix it.

The thing is, I'd been learning by example and saw "void SetTextFromPlug(char* str);" in ITextControl, so assumed that was the correct way to do things.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:04 AM   #210
1eqinfinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youlean View Post
First of all, do yourself a favor and use WDL or STL containers like string or WDL_String.
I was going to write about the WDL strings too They are very convenient to save/restore. However, everywhere else I use std::string because apart from that WDL strings aren't convenient at all
Old 11-02-2017, 03:52 AM   #211
Youlean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eqinfinity View Post
I was going to write about the WDL strings too They are very convenient to save/restore. However, everywhere else I use std::string because apart from that WDL strings aren't convenient at all
What do you mean by save/restore?

For me most convenient thing about WDL_Strings is SetFormated method, but will c++11 this is not much of the problem with std::string. I too tend to use string a lot more...
Old 11-02-2017, 04:58 AM   #212
1eqinfinity

Quote:
What do you mean by save/restore?
I mean you can serialize-unserialize the strings and not worry about the machine architecture. Also, as far as I remember, WDL strings have nice methods to extract the file name, or the extention, etc. All that is good when you have to save, say, full file name of some audio sample in the plugin state.

Last edited by 1eqinfinity; 11-02-2017 at 05:38 AM.
1eqinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:36 AM   #213
1eqinfinity

What does #define AU_MIDI_FX 0 do?
I've had a hard time making one of my plugins usable in Logic and now I'm worried
Old 11-02-2017, 07:25 AM   #214
1eqinfinity

And a couple more beginners questions I have to rebuild cairo for 32 and 64 builds of my plugin, right?
I never worked with cairo, but why is it a separate project? Afaik VS allows for embedding whole solutions into solutions.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:08 AM   #215
Youlean

Quote:
I mean you can serialize-unserialize the strings and not worry about the machine architecture. Also, as far as I remember, WDL strings have nice methods to extract the file name, or the extention, etc. All that is good when you have to save, say, full file name of some audio sample in the plugin state.
I will add stl container serialize-unserialize soon. It would be nice to have iplugstring. I will probably make it soon to replace wdl_string
Old 11-02-2017, 08:09 AM   #216
Youlean

Quote:
What does #define AU_MIDI_FX 0 do?
I've had a hard time making one of my plugins usable in Logic and now I'm worried
It just makes plugin as AU midi effect or not.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:10 AM   #217
Youlean

Quote:
And a couple more beginners questions I have to rebuild cairo for 32 and 64 builds of my plugin, right?
I never worked with cairo, but why is it a separate project? Afaik VS allows for embedding whole solutions into solutions.
Well, I haven't added it since it will make plugin solution kinda messed up and I haven't figured the mac project yet...
Old 11-04-2017, 08:05 AM   #218
Bobflip

Just a heads up that the previous issue was easy to sort with string instead of char[]. I'd wondered if it was the solution but was wary of rewriting a whole section of code if it wasn't the answer. Turned out it was the answer and it didn't even take that long.

Tantalisingly close to completion now...
Old 11-06-2017, 05:39 PM   #219
random_id

I have been working on porting one of my older plugins to the Youlean code so I can scale the GUI. It is looking good on VST on Windows and AU on Mac. I did notice that VST3 has been updated to the latest SDK, so I guess I will have to try that and see if I can get VST3 to build.

I am having some slight issue with VST on Mac, specific to Studio One. I can resize the plugin, but the host's interface will not resize. It ends up clipping whatever is outside the host's window. If I close/hide the plugin and open it, the host has the correct new size. Any ideas about this before I start digging?

By the way, this is great stuff. I love the ease of resizing, even bitmaps. Thanks!
Old 11-06-2017, 05:51 PM   #220
Bobflip

I think Youlean's said that this is a bug with the framework atm, affecting VST OSX resizing on certain hosts. I haven't tested in Studio One yet, but it happens in Ableton, have you tested in that?
Old 11-07-2017, 01:11 AM   #221
Youlean

Hey random_id and Bobflip, this is indeed bug with framework that I didn't fixed yet. To be honest I have tried to make mac plugin resize correctly but I was not able to find solution that will work in every host. As far as I know carbon will work great but cocoa is giving us a trouble... It would help if we can make list in what host GUI resize works and in what doesn't so I can take a look. You can also try to fix it if you can.. As one of the workarounds I was thinking to close and open plugin window every time you resize plugin on mac, though I am not sure if this is the good idea...
Old 11-07-2017, 06:41 AM   #222
Bobflip

Hi there, I'd fix if I could, but it's probably a bit out of my skillset! I'll try and investigate after I release 1.0 though.

I've just tested it in my available hosts on OSX, and it exhibits issues in Twisted Wave, Ableton and Reaper. I don't have any other VST-capable hosts to hand at this point.

Using VST64 in Ableton and Twisted Wave, the GUI will resize, but the window size does not change. Closing and reopening the window shows the new window size, but the GUI is back to the default size. Closing and opening it again resets the window size to default, and the GUI stays at the default size.

Reaper is a little different in the way it handles the resizing, and allows you to resize the window that the plugin is contained in, but I believe the bug shows the same fault. So the first time you resize it looks like the plugin window size is changing and the GUI is staying the same, but I think this is all Reaper code rather than plugin code. Once you've dragged the plugin container window to be larger than your plugin's UI so you can click the plugin's resize handle, you can resize the plugin GUI, and the plugin's container window resizes to match the plugin's size. It takes a second or two to update, but it does work.

Also noticed while testing these that Reaper that the AU actually doesn't resize as expected - as on VST you have to move the container window out of the way of the plugin's resize handle. This reacts more like Ableton and Twisted Wave, the GUI will resize but the window size will not resize (unsure if this is the container window or the plugin window or both), but closing and reopening the plugin retains the plugin window size but the GUI is reset to default.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:46 AM   #223
Youlean

Thank Bobflip. Maybe it would be good to use IPlugGuiResize example so everybody can reproduce results. I will check this in 2 days...
Old 11-07-2017, 06:48 AM   #224
Bobflip

Ah, yes I tested this with my own plug rather than IPlugGUIResize. Want me to retest?
Old 11-07-2017, 06:49 AM   #225
Youlean

Not for now...
Old 11-07-2017, 06:52 AM   #226
Bobflip

Ok no probs, let me know if you want me to test anything else though!

(although I also get notifications when further posts are made to this thread)
Old 12-04-2017, 03:29 AM   #227
Anomaly

Since updating to latest version of IPlug Youlean, I can no longer build VST3. Building VST2 is working. But When trying to build VST3 with just the "IPlugEffect" example project, I'm getting a list of errors:
Code:
Warning	C4584	'IPlugVST3': base-class 'Steinberg::Vst::IUnitInfo' is already a base-class of 'Steinberg::Vst::SingleComponentEffect'	IPlugEffect-vst3	z:\iplug-youlean-test\wdl\iplug\iplugvst3.h	27
Error	C2039	'kBFormat1stOrder': is not a member of 'Steinberg::Vst::SpeakerArr'	IPlugEffect-vst3	z:\iplug-youlean-test\wdl\iplug\iplugvst3.cpp	874
Error	C2065	'kBFormat1stOrder': undeclared identifier	IPlugEffect-vst3	z:\iplug-youlean-test\wdl\iplug\iplugvst3.cpp	874
Error	C1083	Cannot open source file: '..\source\flock.cpp': No such file or directory	base	Z:\IPlug-Youlean-Test\VST3_SDK\base\win\c1xx	1
I have tried to make a new clean installation of latest Iplug-Youlean and the latest VST-SDK from steinberg. The errors still persists.

Is this a known issue with Iplug-Youlean? If not, how can I try to fix it?
Thanks!
Old 12-04-2017, 03:44 AM   #228
Youlean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomaly View Post
Since updating to latest version of IPlug Youlean, I can no longer build VST3. Building VST2 is working. But When trying to build VST3 with just the "IPlugEffect" example project, I'm getting a list of errors:
Code:
Warning	C4584	'IPlugVST3': base-class 'Steinberg::Vst::IUnitInfo' is already a base-class of 'Steinberg::Vst::SingleComponentEffect'	IPlugEffect-vst3	z:\iplug-youlean-test\wdl\iplug\iplugvst3.h	27
Error	C2039	'kBFormat1stOrder': is not a member of 'Steinberg::Vst::SpeakerArr'	IPlugEffect-vst3	z:\iplug-youlean-test\wdl\iplug\iplugvst3.cpp	874
Error	C2065	'kBFormat1stOrder': undeclared identifier	IPlugEffect-vst3	z:\iplug-youlean-test\wdl\iplug\iplugvst3.cpp	874
Error	C1083	Cannot open source file: '..\source\flock.cpp': No such file or directory	base	Z:\IPlug-Youlean-Test\VST3_SDK\base\win\c1xx	1
I have tried to make a new clean installation of latest Iplug-Youlean and the latest VST-SDK from steinberg. The errors still persists.

Is this a known issue with Iplug-Youlean? If not, how can I try to fix it?
Thanks!
Sorry about that. Don't use latest SDK for now. Use 3.6.7 version...
Old 12-09-2017, 01:50 AM   #229
Anomaly

Quote:
Sorry about that. Don't use latest SDK for now. Use 3.6.7 version...
Ok, thanks. Problem solved.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:01 PM   #230
random_id

(if the following is already fixed another way, just let me know)

I have been working on VST and VST3 resizing on OS X. I had the issue with the plugin resizing, but the window would not update the size until it is closed and reopened.

I think I have a fix. I haven't tested in a bunch of hosts, but it looks like it is working with Studio One. For VST3, the resizeView() needs to be called on the IPlugView class after the size is changed. VST is similar. After a size change, the host needs informed of the new window size by mHostCallback and using audioMasterSizeWindow.

For VST, I have made the following addition in IPlugVST.cpp to ResizeGraphics
Code:
#ifdef USING_YCAIRO
	ResizeCairoSurface();
#endif
  }
 mHostCallback(&mAEffect, audioMasterSizeWindow, w, h, 0, 0.f); //<-added   
}
For VST3, I made two additions to IPlugVST3.h
Code:
  void PopupHostContextMenuForParam(int param, int x, int y) override;
    Steinberg::IPlugView* GetPlugView(){return plugView;} //<-added

// DumpFactoryPresets("/Users/oli/Desktop/",  GUID_DATA1, GUID_DATA2, GUID_DATA3, GUID_DATA4) override;
  Steinberg::Vst::SpeakerArrangement getSpeakerArrForChans(Steinberg::int32 chans);
  Steinberg::IPlugView* plugView; //<-added
  int mScChans;
To IPlugVST3.cpp, I made the following changes
Code:
IPlugView* PLUGIN_API IPlugVST3::createView (const char* name)
{
  if (name && strcmp (name, "editor") == 0)
  {
    IPlugVST3View* view = new IPlugVST3View(this);
    addDependentView(view);
      plugView = view; //<-added
    return view;
  }
    plugView = nullptr;//<-added, but don't know if needed
  return 0;
}
void IPlugVST3View::resize(int w, int h)
{
  TRACE;

ViewRect newSize = ViewRect(0, 0, w, h);
  mExpectingNewSize = true;
  plugFrame->resizeView(this, &newSize);
    IPlugView* pV = mPlug->GetPlugView(); //<-added
    if (pV != nullptr) pV->onSize(&newSize); //<-added, but don't know if there needs to be a nullptr check
}
Old 12-09-2017, 02:12 PM   #231
Bobflip

Oooh, nice one! Will test this weekend. Can see how it goes in Bitwig and Ableton, and Cubase Pro until the trial version expires.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:24 PM   #232
Youlean

Thanks for the fix. Actually I have fixed Ableton and Studio One already in different way but this might be better (correct) approach. I will try it tomorrow!
Old 12-11-2017, 06:56 AM   #233
mibes

So I've recently moved over from mac to linux and hope to do all my plugin development from the terminal with this Youlean branch. I'm fairly novice with it though. When I was using Xcode it was all pretty simple to compile projects. Is there any good resources about for how to set up and compile projects without in IDE?

PS thanks for all your super work on this branch. It's been great using it so far!
mibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:42 PM   #234
Bobflip

Ok, so the VST2 resizing was less successful over here. I've tried Ableton and Bitwig, and it's moving in the right direction. The container window would resize, but various controls disappeared, my background control's colour reset to default, and at one point the Bitwig instance crashed - unfortunately no crash log though.

VST3 resizing seems to work as before, where there will be visual interference as the handle is moved around and the interface will update correctly when the mouse button is released.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:12 AM   #235
Youlean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibes View Post
So I've recently moved over from mac to linux and hope to do all my plugin development from the terminal with this Youlean branch. I'm fairly novice with it though. When I was using Xcode it was all pretty simple to compile projects. Is there any good resources about for how to set up and compile projects without in IDE?

PS thanks for all your super work on this branch. It's been great using it so far!
That is gonna be pretty hard I think if not impossible currently. There is no Linux implementation in the code.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:15 AM   #236
Youlean

Quote:
Ok, so the VST2 resizing was less successful over here. I've tried Ableton and Bitwig, and it's moving in the right direction. The container window would resize, but various controls disappeared, my background control's colour reset to default, and at one point the Bitwig instance crashed - unfortunately no crash log though.

VST3 resizing seems to work as before, where there will be visual interference as the handle is moved around and the interface will update correctly when the mouse button is released.
Are you talking about random_id fix? I have not yet pushed my fix to the github...

BTW, I still haven't had time to check latest bugs and fix... Probably I will take a look next weekend.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:34 AM   #237
Bobflip

Sorry, yes, was random_id's fix.

As for the .ini file encryption, my plug seems to be pulling strings out of the file OK in Windows, but not in OSX. I'm going to have a quick final look now but if I can't fix it I'm probably just going to release this lunchtime regardless! The serial number is in the file, but these things will get cracked anyway, it's only there as a mild deterrent.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:03 AM   #238
Bobflip

Nope, spoke too soon, it's still having trouble recalling strings from encrypted .ini files in Windows as well. It's a bit weird and inconsistent. For testing purposes I'm just using "1" as the encryption key. My field for last name is recalling some strings fine, but "Smith" always comes back as empty when I reload the plugin. "smith" in all lower case is recalled as expected.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:29 AM   #239
Youlean

Quote:
Nope, spoke too soon, it's still having trouble recalling strings from encrypted .ini files in Windows as well. It's a bit weird and inconsistent. For testing purposes I'm just using "1" as the encryption key. My field for last name is recalling some strings fine, but "Smith" always comes back as empty when I reload the plugin. "smith" in all lower case is recalled as expected.
I know what is the problem. I can't look at it until Thursday morning for sure though...
Old 12-12-2017, 05:04 AM   #240
random_id

Quote:

I will have to look at this again. For my resize test plugin as well as my plugin that changes layout sizes, the fix appears to work with Live. I haven't looked at Bitwig yet.

I hope it is something close, because I thought the method I tried matched with what other people have been doing with the VST3 SDK. I wish Steinberg would stick to there own rules. <insert sad face>