Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 12-29-2017, 07:40 PM   #1
bitterkitten
Human being with feelings

Default frontier tranzport in win 10 - killed by creator's update, I think (1703)

I'm pretty sure that during my initial install of Win 10, my Frontier Tranzport was working ok, but since I've upgraded to 1703 (which is also called last fall's 2016 'creator's update' - not to be confused with *this* fall's update (1709)) - no workie.

That is to say; the tranzport will light up if I press a button, batteries are brand new. The display only shows text and battery life when you wake it up, otherwise it then goes blank with the backlight staying on.

I reinstalled the last driver iteration from Frontier, 1.5, in compatibility mode for win 7 as well as nuking it and trying it again in compatibility mode for vista. Mutliple reboots. Tried replugging in the dongle usb cable a few times. No dice.

I haz sadness. Anyone got it working in a recent iteration of Win 10? What magix did you perform to get it going? I realize Tranzport is getting pretty long in the tooth, but it works so well! and I don't really need a gadget that is any fancier.

Thanks Reaperites. : )
bitterkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:19 PM   #2
drumphil

The last driver they released was for Vista.

Have you tried uninstalling the drivers, and then installing them again in vista compatibility mode (apparent you need to do this with the usb disconnected, and connect it up after the installation is finished).

Unfortunately many very useful bits of hardware are rendered useless due to a lack of decent driver support.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:51 AM   #3
bitterkitten

Thanks! Yes I did that once already but will probably try it again. :/
Old 12-31-2017, 03:51 PM   #4
bitterkitten

Sad to report; same result whether reinstalling in compatibility mode for any flavor of Vista, and same result reinstalling as Administrator (figured I'd do that for the heck of it). I did obey the step to make sure not to have the dongle connected during installation.

Also, same result after rebooting between installs, removals. Arg.
Old 12-31-2017, 04:03 PM   #5
alanofoz

I think the Frontier Tranzport became redundant when Reaper's web interface was added. True for me at least. Then the Tranzport failed - got into a huff about being replaced I suppose!

Anyway if you have a smartphone or a tablet it's worth a try & just save yourself time & grief by pensioning off the Tranzport. Mine is now just an ornament on a bookcase!

FWIW here's my tablet version of the web interface:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=190003

alanofoz, aka Alan of Australia
alanofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:26 AM   #6
bitterkitten

Thanks - I had no idea Reaper had a web interface (been on hiatus from Reapering for a while). I will give that a shot (so far no luck so I'm posting that in another thread).

Back on the Tranzport front: strangely, after nuking all the reg keys I could find and reinstalling in compatibility mode again, now the Tranzport systray icon will flash anytime I press a button on the Tranzport, but still isn't functioning in Reaper itself. ; ) I even tried purposely switching up the control surface choices in the systray icon and in Reaper, but same thing.

Well if I find a solution, I'll let ya know. Thanks for the help!