CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 12-03-2017, 03:18 PM   #1
olilarkin
Human being with feelings

Default WDLOL/IPlug Quake

hello,

I am currently undertaking a massive reworking of IPlug. Unfortunately I don't have time to do it elegantly so that people can easily pull in changes, so I'm being a bit of a benevolent dictator here and just ploughing ahead. I still think IPlug has a lot of value as a totally free and non-commercial platform for cross-platform plug-ins although JUCE has become extremely appealing these days since it's very good value and well supported.

This is gonna be a massively BREAKING change, but in many cases upgrading an existing project is not gonna be that hard, and I will try and put in options for backwards compatibility if plugin state will break. I will do a tutorial about upgrading an old project once I have finalised the new stuff.

I am tidying up the code base, detaching IGraphics, and putting in options for different Graphics APIs. I've also got seamless hidpi support, and hopefully resizing. I want to add Cmake support and WAM targets. Also want to put in some better documentation.

It's currently a work in progress, so I don't think you can compile IPlugExample yet, but I thought I would draw your attention to this branch:

https://github.com/olilarkin/wdl-ol/tree/iplugquake/

if you're interested please peruse the source code and let me know if there are things you think I should address whilst I am doing this major change, since I don't want to make people re-duplicate twice.

cheers!

oli
Old 12-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #2
HoRNet

I don't have much time but I would like to help.

It's hard to get into the work you are doing without some intro, we should really get together (everyone that is working on and with IPlug) to create a stable and usable framework.

If you could split the work in some small task that everybody with enough competence can do I can can try to help.

Saverio
HoRNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:36 PM   #3
olilarkin

It would be great if someone wanted to help with documentation

I would like to get nice doxygen style comments in IPlugBase, IGraphics and IParam, explaining how the classes interact with plug-in apis, drawing apis and platform apis.

if anyone wants to fork IPlug quake and do that for me :-) might be a nice learning project

ps, have already been in touch with Youlean to get his help with IGraphicsCairo. It's coming on nicely but I currently don't understand how to render bits of a bitmap
Old 12-07-2017, 01:45 PM   #4
Youlean

Quote:
Originally Posted by olilarkin View Post
ps, have already been in touch with Youlean to get his help with IGraphicsCairo. It's coming on nicely but I currently don't understand how to render bits of a bitmap
I will cover you there, but probably in Saturday...

Also I will take a look at changes since I have not yet downloaded new IPlug. Also I have kinda fixed mac resizing yesterday. There are some bugs but I am starting to understand the resizing mess...

BTW, have you manages to create openGL window for nanovg?
Old 12-07-2017, 01:46 PM   #5
Fergler

I thought from the title you were putting Quake 3 (game) in a DAW
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:14 PM   #6
olilarkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youlean View Post
I will cover you there, but probably in Saturday...

Also I will take a look at changes since I have not yet downloaded new IPlug. Also I have kinda fixed mac resizing yesterday. There are some bugs but I am starting to understand the resizing mess...

BTW, have you manages to create openGL window for nanovg?
Yes! Detaching igraphics I was easily able to use PUGL to get an OpenGL view working. Next step is to draw into it with nanovg
Old 12-07-2017, 02:28 PM   #7
Youlean

Quote:
Originally Posted by olilarkin View Post
Yes! Detaching igraphics I was easily able to use PUGL to get an OpenGL view working. Next step is to draw into it with nanovg
Great! That is awesome. Maybe we can make cairo openGL backed work too. You know that cairo can draw with openGL too?