Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 02-01-2018, 07:37 AM   #1
Popmart
Human being with feelings

Default Is it best to wait until Vocals are done before adding EQ and Compression

Hi,

I'm new to music production so wanted to ask for opinions from those with more experience. Apart from the vocals I have put down all of the music for a track. I don't have a vocalist yet to record for me but will hopefully have one within the next few weeks.

My question is - is it worth starting to apply EQ and compression to the music tracks already recorded or should I leave it alone until the vocals are done too? Logically it seems to me that the purpose of providing EQ and compression to tracks is that they may or may not add something WITHIN THE CONTEXT OF THE SONG. My worry is that if I begin the process now I may have to redo the whole lot once the vocals are down as the context of the song will change again. Things may sound great now but once the vocals are down there may be frequency clashes with other instruments that require further refinement.

I'm really interested to know what approach others take, especially if you don't sing on your own tracks but rely on other vocalists.

Thanks.
Popmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:01 AM   #2
camerondye

Remember some plugins add latency so make sure to be smart what you add because you might have to take it back off. I wouldn't spend a ton of time mixing but if it makes it sound better it could give the track a little more excitement and the singer might give a better track. Good luck
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:18 AM   #3
Popmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye View Post
Remember some plugins add latency so make sure to be smart what you add because you might have to take it back off. I wouldn't spend a ton of time mixing but if it makes it sound better it could give the track a little more excitement and the singer might give a better track. Good luck
Thanks for your reply, appreciate it. Maybe the best compromise is to start work on those parts of the frequency spectrum that are highly unlikely to clash with vocals - things like kick drums, bass, hi-hits, etc. But anything that's firmly in mid to upper-mid territory can have 'sketches' applied to them now with the knowledge that they may need refinement once the vocals are down.
Popmart is offline   Reply With Quote