COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (aka spam trap)

Old 11-14-2014, 12:04 PM   #1
insub
Human being with feelings

Default Budget Interface Shootout

I really want to get the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, but I feel like I'm just falling victim to excellent marketing. I'm going to nab one of something used instead of new. It has to be 24bit and have 2 mic pres at least.

But the prices are so different. There are plenty of IO2 and Audioboxes available on eBay and hardly any 2i2s. Maybe that's telling me something in itself. But Alesis IO2 can be had new for about $65 (about $50 eBay). PreSonus Audiobox 2x2 are going for about $70-$80 on ebay while the Focusrite 2i2 are going for over $100 used.

Have you had any experience with any of these? I just don't know that the quality differences in these really warrant the price differences.

Last edited by insub; 12-06-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:24 AM   #2
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by insub View Post
There are plenty of IO2 and Audioboxes available on eBay and hardly any 2i2s. Maybe that's telling me something in itself.
That's because the Focusrite 2i2 is new. Both Alesis and Presonus have been around for a long time.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:11 PM   #3
DuraMorte

Do the 2i2. You won't regret it. It's awesome.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:56 PM   #4
Mivo

I'd get neither of them and opt for the Steinberg UR22. (I have the 2i2, and I'm happy with the preamps, but I regret not getting the equally as good UR22 as it has MIDI I/O.)
Old 11-17-2014, 08:21 AM   #5
insub

@Cyrano: Thanks for that perspective. I had not considered the amount of time the units have been on the market.

@DuraMorte: Part of the reason I've been considering the 2i2 is the included Scarlett Effects. But, as I understand they use the 2i2 unit as copy protection. This would be a problem for me as I work on a PC with MOTU interfaces at band practice, and then do my mixing between sessions on my laptop. So, if this is true then my situation sort of renders those effects as useless.

@Mivo: I guess I had not noticed that the 2i2 didn't have MIDI. But, my keyboards have USB midi. However, I've had a lot of problems with the USB MIDI from my Casio Privia, so interface midi may be of great use. Thanks, for throwing that one into the fray. I had considered the Steinberg CI2+ because the AI knob appeals to me. I wonder if the controller functions work in Reaper though?

I know a lot of people talk about the preamps on all of these units, but wouldn't your mic have much more to do with the sound? I can't imagine that there is appreciable differences in preamps on sub-$250 interface units. I mean the main goal is to provide amplification that is transparent isn't it? But, even if it's not most people end up adding distortion and saturation to the signal once it's in the DAW. So, I wonder if comparing preamps on budget units is a moot topic. Feel free to straighten me out on these wonderings. That's why I'm on here.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:37 AM   #6
insub

Steinberg CI2+ doesn't have MIDI in/out. It's still on the Steinberg website, but Musicians Friend no longer sells it. Besides, you can get the Steinberg CMC AI USB controller for $50.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:52 AM   #7
Pickasso

Quote:
I know a lot of people talk about the preamps on all of these units, but wouldn't your mic have much more to do with the sound? I can't imagine that there is appreciable differences in preamps on sub-$250 interface units.
A couple of key characteristics to consider preamps and interfaces:
Pre-amp noise level: anything from loud hiss to buzzing can degrade your recordings.
Pre-amp colouration: Most noteable if you are recording guitar or bass direct, the difference can be small to great, especially look for high impedance input if recording guitars direct.
DRIVERS!!!: how stable can it run, how low can the latency go, will it crash Reaper...

2i2: I had one, cheap build, very noisy hiss and buzz, sold it. (maybe I had a bad one)
Quad Capture: Sounds great, super low noise (could be the built in noise gate), terrible drivers. (crashes)
UR22: To me the preamps were very dark, sold it.

Don't rule out M-audio Fast Track Pro- Ebay used for around $60. Very stable driver, low latency, good preamps, great value.

KOmplete AUdio 6: similar to the Fast TRack Pro
Old 11-17-2014, 09:00 AM   #8
Swamp Ape

I've had an io4 for about three years, being used literally every day, and have never had a problem with it.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:05 AM   #9
insub

Lexicon Lambda looked interesting too considering the bundled Pantheon Reverb, but I've heard that the plugin is integral to the copy of Cubase that comes bundled. And, there are a lot of bad reviews that the drivers are finicky or inoperable.

Last edited by insub; 12-06-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #10
insub

@Pickasso: Thanks, for the heads up on the Maudio. Komplete Audio 6 is out of my price range... even used.

@Swamp: Thanks, for the feedback. I'd really like the IO2 (not express) because it has SPDIF in/out but can hardly find it anywhere. There is a really good deal out there for IO4 right now. New for $50! The price may warrant the extra size. I travel a lot for work by airplane, so I'd like to keep it small & light.

I thinks its funny that the Alesis IO2 Express and Maudio M-Track are the exact same unit. I wonder if their drivers/support are different though?
Old 11-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #11
Swamp Ape

Yeah the Io4's only about 8x5, about the size of a hardcover book. I'm not sure how well it would hold up to heavy traveling though - that might be a factor worth considering. It's hard plastic, not metal.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #12
Mivo

Quote:
@Mivo: I guess I had not noticed that the 2i2 didn't have MIDI. But, my keyboards have USB midi. However, I've had a lot of problems with the USB MIDI from my Casio Privia, so interface midi may be of great use.
I didn't really think I'd need MIDI I/O, so at the time I bought the 2i2 the absence of MIDI wasn't really an issue. Then I had the opportunity to snatch up an older Electribe (no USB) and passed on it because I didn't want to deal with USB-to-MIDI adapters (the more decent looking ones weren't cheap) and I didn't want to buy another interface.

The Steinberg UR22 seems to be well-loved. If I recall correctly, it was even marginally cheaper. If I bought one now, I'd consider the UR44 for the extra inputs and outputs, but it's a step up in price.