Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 11-11-2017, 03:14 PM   #1
Ideosound
Human being with feelings

Default Who is using a Wacom with Reaper?

Searching “Wacom” in the forum brings up very little regarding Wacom tablets and Reaper. I made the switch about 6 months ago due to too much rsi / wrist pain from mousing. Does anyone else use one? I only have one small issue with it that I was wanting to pin down with any fellow users out there.
Ideosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:57 PM   #2
Usta

I use a windows tablet with a stylus, especially for notation editor, although it could use some optimization but I'm getting used to it. I'm planning to upgrade to a bigger pen input screen (when my work space is ready)
Usta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:15 PM   #3
EpicSounds

I think Kenny is or was for a while.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:34 PM   #4
jrengmusic

I’ve been using wacom for years. For design, digital imaging or any visual related work which involves a lot of drawing gestures.

REAPER is more fun using a mouse. A normal mouse with buttons and scrolwheel.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:42 PM   #5
vdubreeze

Still using a Wacom for graphics stuff. Had a period there where I forced myself to use it for DAWs (not yet Reaper) and it didn't take. Too much picking up and putting down the stylus for one thing : /
Old 11-13-2017, 05:17 AM   #6
Ideosound

Thanks for all of your input. I ended up trying a Wacom in the first place from watching Stimming using a Cintiq, but its quite old now. Still a good watch and of course Reaper is a lot more configurable than Cubase which is his DAW.

https://youtu.be/_qCoMYk1NbE

I tried various ergonomic mice but sent them all back as there was always something that I didn't like about the various designs on the market. I settled on the Intuos Pro Medium. The only thing I miss from a mouse is the mouse wheel, but I've got zoom shortcuts and a scrub cursor setup on the Faderport for that. You can use the jog wheel also. Overall the Wacom is a lot better for me personally, my wrists aren't nearly as bad, even when I'd swap mousing hands to try and even the workload.

The only thing I find a bit strange is when using reaper in the main arrangement area, it doesn't register every click (pen nib tap) which is a little annoying to move the cursor to the click point. All other features of reaper like clicking buttons all work correctly. If I click directly over the time ruler section just above the main arrange, it registers every click so something is stopping it from receiving when using it just in the main arrange area. Its not the end of the world but its annoying that is isn't quite getting all of the clicks. I've been using the right click setup on my pen button to get around this problem which saves having to move up to the time ruler area just to move cursor. Double clicks work all the time in the arrange area. Its working fine in Ableton Live.

I asked Justin about it with this response:

Question: Sorry to ask Reaper question... in the arrange area, clicking with a Wacom pen to move cursor doesn’t always register single (left) clicks. Do you have any idea why? It always registers when clicking on the time / ruler area above without fail. I find this odd. Ive tried all different Pen settings, no luck. Thanks [permalink]
Asked by NGF (213.205.252.x) on November 11 2017, 9:45pm

Reply on November 11 2017, 11:44pm:
If I had to guess it would be because the arrange area has scrollbars, the Wacom driver probably looks at it and decides to handle things differently.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:14 AM   #7
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrengmusic View Post
I’ve been using wacom for years. For design, digital imaging or any visual related work which involves a lot of drawing gestures.

REAPER is more fun using a mouse. A normal mouse with buttons and scrolwheel.
Why there is also radial menu, and with a tablet/pen this could work very well. Hold a button and the menu would appear, then continuing with the pen. I would suggest putting the toolbar vertically to the left for example for easy access for the left hand, pen on right hand. Buttons you can have additionally, but on mechanical qwerty.

Last edited by TonE; 03-19-2019 at 04:56 AM.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:21 PM   #8
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I tried using a wacom with REAPER today...not really able to double click correctly on automation lines, but some of the rest seemed ok!
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 03:27 AM   #9
tongzhou

I have a XP-Pen ( https://www.xp-pen.com ) drawing pad with I use instead of a mouse. It works fine, but using a pen for this application does not feel right and the switching backwards and forwards to the keyboard is a pain.
tongzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 04:29 AM   #10
Ideosound

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongzhou View Post
the switching backwards and forwards to the keyboard is a pain.
Don't really understand this, having a mouse and keyboard is really no different from using a pen and keyboard. One hand stays on the keyboard for shortcuts and the other on either pen/mouse.
Old 03-03-2022, 09:03 AM   #11
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideosound View Post
Don't really understand this, having a mouse and keyboard is really no different from using a pen and keyboard. One hand stays on the keyboard for shortcuts and the other on either pen/mouse.
I've found the difference is that when using mouse, it stays where you leave it, both on the screen and on the table, and when typing you have both hands free. With the pen, you need to always aim when returning from the keyboard back to the tablet and the cursor is always moving when you use it, kinda restless. When typing, you have a hand partially blocked by the pen (unless you drop the pen).

Also, for me, the tablet had too few extra buttons, now I have a mouse with 7 EXTRA buttons.

(tablet: Wacom Intuous Art, size M? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/...en_1180864.jpg
mouse: Corsair Nightsword https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Catego.../CH-9306011-NA )
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 07:51 AM   #12
Ideosound

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
I've found the difference is that when using mouse, it stays where you leave it, both on the screen and on the table, and when typing you have both hands free. With the pen, you need to always aim when returning from the keyboard back to the tablet and the cursor is always moving when you use it, kinda restless. When typing, you have a hand partially blocked by the pen (unless you drop the pen).

Also, for me, the tablet had too few extra buttons, now I have a mouse with 7 EXTRA buttons.

(tablet: Wacom Intuous Art, size M? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/...en_1180864.jpg
mouse: Corsair Nightsword https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Catego.../CH-9306011-NA )
Ah yeah for typing I get you now. If I'm typing something small like a track name, I can kind of balance the pen between index finger and thumb and hold it on the side so I can still type. Takes some practice but it is workable at least for me. If I'm doing typing for a longer amount of time I will just drop the pen in the holder. That is probably the only downside for me.