Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-19-2018, 04:21 PM   #41
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

I hear Laurel on both my studio monitors and cell phone. The other day when someone played it for me on their phone it was yanny so I agree on the playback frequency thing.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:21 PM   #42
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
Obviously it says "here's to my sweet satan".
What a relief, I thought it was just me!
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:18 PM   #43
Stews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
Is this a joke? Like the flat earth movement? Whoever hears something different from Laurel doesn't speak English or has a hearing defect.
I had the same thought when I first saw this. Are some people just saying they're hearing the wrong thing as a wind-up? Wouldn't even rule out some kind of attention seeking thing lol

After reading this thread I tried mashing it up, distorting it, EQing it and it only ever sounds like the correct word (I did this with the one directly from the dictionary website).

Re: the "flat earth" thing - is that definitely just a joke? I never believed for one second that anyone actually believes in it, just wondered if it was purely a daft joke or if it was more of the attention seeking side of things.
Stews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:25 PM   #44
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
To me, the only sane perception was "Laurel" until I heard a reproduction of it over a (particularly bad) laptop speaker. I'd guess smart phones are the same.
Maybe my Samsung S6 has a particularly good speaker for its tiny size, but I always hear it as "laurel". I have some high-end hearing loss but can still hear up to 17KHz.

Quote:
Does anyone listening on full-range speakers to the original (i.e. not compressed and re-compressed and re-compressed and re-uploaded) version ...

(Apparently the truly original original pre-viral version is here)
Aha. Well with this version--unlike the heavily distorted version due to re-encoding (evidently!)--I hear it only as "laurel" even when pitch shifting and/or formant shifting it (with my Adam A7 monitors, Steinberg MR816X interface). Sometimes I "sort of" hear a bit of "yanny" in there but it always sounds like "laurel" overall.

I captured it as a 44.1KHz WAV file and messed with it in Reaper for those tests. (WASAPI shared loopback recording, capturing the streaming audio.)
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:09 PM   #45
davetbass

I can hear both at the same time, I doubt this proves there is no objective reality, I think by coincidence the distortion added overtones of another word (if "yanni" is a word haha) and peoples physical differences in ears emphasizes one or the other
davetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:12 PM   #46
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stews View Post
Re: the "flat earth" thing - is that definitely just a joke? I never believed for one second that anyone actually believes in it, just wondered if it was purely a daft joke or if it was more of the attention seeking side of things.
Sadly, people really do believe it. There is no hope.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:32 PM   #47
morgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Sadly, people really do believe it. There is no hope.
What's sad is that some people might see a need for other people to believe that other people believe it.

Last edited by morgon; 05-19-2018 at 08:38 PM.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:41 PM   #48
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I hear Laurel on both my studio monitors and cell phone. The other day when someone played it for me on their phone it was yanny so I agree on the playback frequency thing.
Yeah, my wife played it back on her laptop and I couldn't tell what it said, not Yanny and not Laurel. My wife said she thought it was Yanny.

Then I plugged in her earbuds and it was plain as day, no mistaking, "Laurel", and it obviously had been lowered in pitch.

With the earbuds, my wife also clearly heard "Laurel".
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:27 PM   #49
suleiman

YEAH laurel, clearly....though whenever i have a moustache and long hair it says Yanny

but on some days, it says "its time for israel to be paid back for all that palestinian blood"

other days it says "annihilate god and destroy the universe, pretty please"

one time it clearly said "kill your mother and rape your dog"

fascinating stuff, truly !

Salamat
suleiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:33 PM   #50
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetbass View Post
I can hear both at the same time, I doubt this proves there is no objective reality, I think by coincidence the distortion added overtones of another word (if "yanni" is a word haha) and peoples physical differences in ears emphasizes one or the other
I can easily hear both at the same time even on my Macbook Pro speakers.

I don't think this so much qualifies as an aural illusion but more as a listening exercise. I remember some video where the video element of someone speaking was altered and it led you to perceiving different speech.

In this one, you can clearly hear the "Yanni" alternate as a saturated higher harmonic and missing the 1st harmonic. The 1st harmonic (primary) of "Laurel" masks the higher harmonic saturated "Yanni" at first glance.

And I imagine if you play this back on a ratty enough tinny sounding device, the primary 1st harmonic of "Laurel" can get distorted enough to now have the higher "Yanni" sound louder.

It could genuinely be a fluke of speech synthesis artifacts (and/or further mutilation) that someone stumbled across. Or it could be 2 tracks mixed.

Good ear training though I suppose. You should be able to hear both at the same time. Focus on either like you might focus on elements you are eq'ing.

I think the flat earth business is just a cry for attention. A pretty stupid one yes, but more attention seeking than genuine belief.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:09 AM   #51
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
It could genuinely be a fluke of speech synthesis artifacts (and/or further mutilation) that someone stumbled across. Or it could be 2 tracks mixed.
That's what speech synthesis is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
What's sad is that some people might see a need for other people to believe that other people believe it.
All actors paid by the globalist elite social engineers, right? Got it.

Let's try and keep this out of the lounge!
Old 05-20-2018, 05:42 AM   #52
morgon

Quote:
Projection and a red herring

Your claim that "Sadly, people really do believe it" [that the earth is flat] followed by your statement "There is no hope" implies that a significant number of people believe it. How many people do you know or have ever met who believes it?

I've never met anyone in my entire life who's professed to believe that, so I don't see it as a concern that a one in a million [or billion] nutcase might believe it. There might be one, just one idiot in this world willing to genuinely bet a substantial amount of money on the belief that the world is flat. Big money bet on a position with an absolute provable outcome, best lie detector ever.

If you want to equivocate your quote above with anything I've posted then you should quote me. Cheers
Old 05-20-2018, 06:12 AM   #53
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
Projection and a red herring

Your claim that "Sadly, people really do believe it" [that the earth is flat] followed by your statement "There is no hope" implies that a significant number of people believe it. How many people do you know or have ever met who believes it?

I've never met anyone in my entire life who's professed to believe that, so I don't see it as a concern that a one in a million [or billion] nutcase might believe it. There might be one, just one idiot in this world willing to genuinely bet a substantial amount of money on the belief that the world is flat. Big money bet on a position with an absolute provable outcome, best lie detector ever.

If you want to equivocate your quote above with anything I've posted then you should quote me. Cheers
Relax, it was a joke about this thread heading to the lounge, not a personal attack.

Opposite the primary school that my girlfriend teaches at, there is entirely earnest graffiti urging people who are still fool enough to believe the round earth conspiracy to visit a flat earth website. That alone is enough for it to concern me.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:22 AM   #54
Stews

Quote:
Relax, it was a joke about this thread heading to the lounge, not a personal attack.

Opposite the primary school that my girlfriend teaches at, there is entirely earnest graffiti urging people who are still fool enough to believe the round earth conspiracy to visit a flat earth website. That alone is enough for it to concern me.
I'm still fairly confident that they don't actually believe in the "flat Earth", it's either a wind-up to troll people or some kind of attention seeking thing.

With the Laurel vs. Yanny thing I think some people maybe are hearing yanny but I do wonder if some others are thinking to themselves "heh this is a wind-up, I'm going to pretend I hear yanny to annoy people".

This one is so much better - Green Needle vs. Brianstorm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1okD66RmktA

For this one, it's whichever one I decide the next utterance is going to be - it is.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:08 AM   #55
morgon

Quote:

Let's try and keep this out of the lounge!
Quote:
No worries, I believe you, thousands wouldn't
Quote:
Maybe I'd be a bit concerned if my surgeon entered the operating theatre wearing a T-shirt with that printed on it; or the captain of the flight declared it over the P.A, cos I'd be seriously contemplating their motivation for such a wind up in a critical situation, iow whether they believed it or not, either way they'd still be a lunatic.

OT I heard "Laurel" unambiguously but the missus heard "Yanny" just as adamantly, from the same audio source. And I hadn't informed her of what to expect bc I don't underestimate the chances of her disagreeing with me just for the hell of it...
Old 05-20-2018, 07:25 AM   #56
morgon

...forgot to mention that I watched some guys youtube explanation about it and when he played the file I distinctly heard "Yanny".
Old 05-20-2018, 07:51 AM   #57
Judders

Quote:
I'm still fairly confident that they don't actually believe in the "flat Earth", it's either a wind-up to troll people or some kind of attention seeking thing.
It's not an area where irony is really a thing.

A scary number of people are so poorly educated they can't understand the reasons that make it an obviously dumb proposition. It's just as likely as any other explanation to them, very similar to creationism.

The Flat Earth Society did indeed begin as a joke, of sorts. It was an exercise in using reason to prove an obviously false proposition. Unfortunately, some fundamentalist Christians took it seriously and now spread it as if it were true, which in turn attracted the conspiracy theorists, who are in a race to the bottom to believe the most unbelievable things.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:40 AM   #58
Stews

Quote:
It's not an area where irony is really a thing.

A scary number of people are so poorly educated they can't understand the reasons that make it an obviously dumb proposition. It's just as likely as any other explanation to them, very similar to creationism.

The Flat Earth Society did indeed begin as a joke, of sorts. It was an exercise in using reason to prove an obviously false proposition. Unfortunately, some fundamentalist Christians took it seriously and now spread it as if it were true, which in turn attracted the conspiracy theorists, who are in a race to the bottom to believe the most unbelievable things.
I did wonder if maybe it was to point out the equally absurd things that are accepted and believed by the majority.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:04 AM   #59
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Check out the skokal hoax. It was flat earth aimed at academic intellectuals. Most of what college money goes to today goes to people who actually believed it and still do. See “the science wars”
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:04 AM   #60
Judders

Quote:
I did wonder if maybe it was to point out the equally absurd things that are accepted and believed by the majority.
Not quite. It was purely a debating game, an exercise in reason, it had no message. The people these days who actually buy into it don't have the brains for a nuanced motivation like the one you give. Of course, there will be plenty of of people who just spout this stuff to mess with people for a laugh, but there really are true believers out there.

I'm sure it will fall out of favour and something else will replace it soon enough... just like chemtrails.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:13 AM   #61
karbomusic

Quote:
I'm going to pretend I hear yanny to annoy people
I wasn't doing that, it's what I heard on the one device. On a side note, there is a severe lack of objectivity in the world these days, so badly that many now think everything is an subjective opinion; it's the only thing all the uneducated morons in the world have left to fight back with since becoming educated is out of the question apparently.

But even when it is an opinion, some opinions are more informed than others and have a higher quality to them. All opinions are not created equal, which means using "it's just your opinion" isn't necessarily valid in all cases like flat planets - that opinion just makes the person an idiot with an opinion.

Last edited by karbomusic; 05-20-2018 at 01:17 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:57 AM   #62
Tod

I first saw this Laurel vs Yanny thing on the PBS News close to a week ago. Then a day or so later it turned up here.

I just checked it on my studio monitors and it was "Laurel". Same with my studio earphones that are actually a piece of junk.

According to the PBS News, younger folks heard Yanny while older folks heard Laurel.

So I wonder if everybody heard it from the same good monitors in a good control room? I bet it would be "Laurel" for a high percentage of them.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:15 PM   #63
JamesPeters

Quote:

This one is so much better - Green Needle vs. Brianstorm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1okD66RmktA

For this one, it's whichever one I decide the next utterance is going to be - it is.
On my Samsung S6 it sounds like "brain needle". On my desktop PC it sounds like "brain storm".
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:52 PM   #64
Stews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
On my Samsung S6 it sounds like "brain needle". On my desktop PC it sounds like "brain storm".
Really?

For me and my friends, it just sounds like whichever we decide before it sounds - it doesn't make a difference what we're listening on and is always what we choose before hand.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:32 PM   #65
Lophophora

Well this kind of freaks me out. While everybody hears one or the other, I am hearing very distinctly both names at the same time: Laurel in a low voice mixed with a very robotic voice saying Yanni. Should I see an ear doctor?
Lophophora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:12 PM   #66
RDBOIS
Banned

Is it Laurel or Yanny?

Did we go to the moon or not?

Is Earth a flat or a ball?

Was is a false flag or a real shooting?

Are vaccines safe or poison?

Was that real new or fake news?

Wast that the real Obama or a CGI?

Is there a God or no God?

Am I boy or a girl?

The red pill or the blue pill?

IMO - total mass confusion, the Hegelian dialectic, Bread and circuses are efficient means to slow down the inevitable. If it takes more than one lifetime to catch up with lost time, then you're out of luck.
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:37 AM   #67
Skijumptoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
Is it Laurel or Yanny?
Both!
Quote:
Did we go to the moon or not?
We went to Not
Quote:
Is Earth a flat or a ball?
When drawn on a piece of paper the earth is flat
Quote:
Was is a false flag or a real shooting?
Was is a typo, if is was not really is then is is whatever is chooses to be.
Quote:
Are vaccines safe or poison?
They are a rock band
Quote:
Was that real new or fake news?
Fake News is in the eye of the beholder
Quote:
Wast that the real Obama or a CGI?
Real, Bear Gryls was CGI however.
Quote:
Is there a God or no God?
Yanny!
Quote:
Am I boy or a girl?
Do i feel love, or just possession? Am i holy, or nothing at all?
Quote:
The red pill or the blue pill?
Do as prescribed by your doctor... Who may or may not be mentally unstable themselves.

I hope that helps!
Skijumptoes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:03 AM   #68
Stews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skijumptoes View Post
Both!

We went to Not

When drawn on a piece of paper the earth is flat

Was is a typo, if is was not really is then is is whatever is chooses to be.

They are a rock band

Fake News is in the eye of the beholder

Real, Bear Gryls was CGI however.

Yanny!

Do i feel love, or just possession? Am i holy, or nothing at all?

Do as prescribed by your doctor... Who may or may not be mentally unstable themselves.

I hope that helps!
I wouldn't trust any doctor who wouldn't just prescribe themselves enough medication to become permanently incompetent.

P.S. I'm going to start worshipping Yanny - the god of shit internet memes
Old 05-21-2018, 07:06 AM   #69
Skijumptoes

Quote:
I wouldn't trust any doctor who wouldn't just prescribe themselves enough medication to become permanently incompetent.
Double negatives really mess with my head.

Are you saying that you wouldn't trust no doctor who wouldn't prescribe themselves not enough of the wrong medication to prevent them from not being permanently incompetent?

-Head Explodes-

Quote:
P.S. I'm going to start worshipping Yanny - the god of shit internet memes
It'd be quite easy to discriminate in such a religion, anyone who's not welcome during the days chanting is met with a unified "HE SAID LAUREL!! GET HIM OUT!!! BURN THEM!!"

Last edited by Skijumptoes; 05-21-2018 at 07:40 AM.
Skijumptoes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:01 PM   #70
mlprod

100% Laurel, and I read that it is also what is actually said!
Old 05-21-2018, 05:52 PM   #71
westie07

Just something else to mess with your brain. The McGurk Effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lN8vWm3m0
westie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:40 AM   #72
Magicbuss

I have read on the interwebs taht original recording was "Laurel". Some high frequency information (distortion, a whisper track... who knows?) was added to the original which transforms the sound to Yanni (or in my case Yammi) if you can hear it. That's why if you lower the pitch almost everyone hears laurel and if you raise the pitch most hear yanni.

As far as I can tell if you hear laurel at standard pitch your high frequency hearing might be lacking. Kids almost always hear something like Yanni. Old guys almost all hear Laurel.
Magicbuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:06 PM   #73
Stews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbuss View Post
I have read on the interwebs taht original recording was "Laurel". Some high frequency information (distortion, a whisper track... who knows?) was added to the original which transforms the sound to Yanni (or in my case Yammi) if you can hear it. That's why if you lower the pitch almost everyone hears laurel and if you raise the pitch most hear yanni.

As far as I can tell if you hear laurel at standard pitch your high frequency hearing might be lacking. Kids almost always hear something like Yanni. Old guys almost all hear Laurel.
It's just the audio pronunciation from the "laurel" page on a dictionary website.

Some people just mis-hear it. From what people are saying it seems to be less obvious on really poor playback systems. Going by the "my wife heard yanny but I heard Laurel" posts, it hints that maybe people who are experienced in working with audio are less likely to mis-hear it.

I don't think it can be said that hearing the correct word suggests there's anything wrong with your hearing.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:05 AM   #74
frood

Quote:

(Apparently the truly original original pre-viral version is here)
to my ear that sounds slightly quicker and obviously much cleaner than the youtube clip. or that the youtube clip has a load of distortion or other artefacts AND it is slowed down ever so slightly.
frood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:28 AM   #75
Magicbuss

Quote:
It's just the audio pronunciation from the "laurel" page on a dictionary website.

Some people just mis-hear it. From what people are saying it seems to be less obvious on really poor playback systems. Going by the "my wife heard yanny but I heard Laurel" posts, it hints that maybe people who are experienced in working with audio are less likely to mis-hear it.

I don't think it can be said that hearing the correct word suggests there's anything wrong with your hearing.
Audiologist Ben Munson is the source for my original post. He has done an interesting audio analysis.

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=38274
Old 05-23-2018, 09:55 AM   #76
airon

Laurel, with some stuff on top. I heard Laurel, so I must be slightly older too .
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:11 AM   #77
frood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbuss View Post
Audiologist Ben Munson is the source for my original post. He has done an interesting audio analysis.

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=38274
that was great. he links to this thread by Suzy Styles which is also an excellent summary of what's going on: https://twitter.com/suzyjstyles/stat...60301548945413
frood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:48 AM   #78
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:

Some people just mis-hear it.

Well. Next time I hear foreigners learning the English language mispronounce a word I might entertain the idea that they are pronouncing exactly what they heard on the dictionary website.

A tool designed to teach proper diction / educate ---> FAIL
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:03 PM   #79
Magicbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by frood View Post
that was great. he links to this thread by Suzy Styles which is also an excellent summary of what's going on: https://twitter.com/suzyjstyles/stat...60301548945413
I knew twitter must be good for something.

Its clearly a well designed audio illusion. It contains the formants for both words with Yanni formants being more prevalent in the treble and Laurel formants dominating in the lows.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:06 PM   #80
yellowmix

I'm really late on this but throw the video into Reaper and turn on Spectral Editing.

If you can hear Laurel then your audio system is reproducing it more or less correctly and you happen to have the hearing for it. If you only hear Yanny then this exercise won't reveal anything in practice.

Anyway, in the Spectral Editor, you can see two distinct harmonics. They are not stable pitches but they're obviously spaced apart. If you attenuate the bottom one, it will sound more like Yanny. Conversely, if you attenuate the top one, it's gibberish (not Laurel). You only get Laurel if both harmonic groups are present.
yellowmix is offline   Reply With Quote