Old 06-13-2018, 03:43 AM   #1
Burnsjethro
Human being with feelings

Default Deleting and fades

Well, it does say we can ask the most embarrassing questions in this category. So here goes.

I was watching a video lesson about cleaning up a project: fades at the beginning and end, crossfades between items and inserting silences where there are gaps.

I tried the fades at the beginning and end of the tune. This worked fine until I came to three lanes of back-up vocal at the end of the tune. (1st lane not used, second land used but parts discontinued where the singing is a bit off, third lane contains items that are in fact better versions of my slightly off-pitch singing). When I try to put a fade at the end of this stack of lanes (at the top, in the middle or at the bottom) the cursor stays the same and does not change into a fader tool?

The second question. In the lesson, to get rid of areas of silence the speaker creates an item (s at start and s at end) and then uses the delete key to produce complete silence in the box.

I placed two s's to make an item but when I pressed the delete key the box disappeared and all the following items moved into to take its place. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Anton
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:04 AM   #2
Stella645

2. Turn off ripple editing

1. Not sure....you should still be able to apply fade to multi lanes within a single item....but not exactly sure that's what you are describing. Maybe someone else has an idea or you could screencap what you have to be more clear.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:18 AM   #3
Burnsjethro

Thanks, Stella. Where do I turn off ripple editing?

I think I added an attachment, although I don't see it yet. If you can see the attachment, what I am referring to are the three lanes at the bottom.

Anton
Old 06-13-2018, 04:23 AM   #4
Burnsjethro

It won't let me upload the file (even if I change the name) because I attached it the other day in reference to another question:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=207767

Anton
Old 06-13-2018, 05:24 AM   #5
Stella645

You could use glue to create one file from your multi takes and fade that....but I still don't think this should be necessary. Your pic isn't telling me much other than it's take lanes which should be fade-able.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:51 AM   #6
Burnsjethro

Stella you are great. I turned off ripple editing (and I have absolutely no idea how it became enabled) and it works like a dream.

I spent a long time yesterday evening going through various posts and videos to see what might be wrong and it was driving me bonkers. Reaper is very good but there are too many whistles and bells to inadvertently turn on (my previous problem was some monitoring feature that came on "all by itself" adding reverb to anything I recorded,...)

As for the fading, I looked more carefully at the end of the takes and noticed there were some thin boxes stuck on the end. Deleted them and, hey presto, the fader works. Expect to see my tune at the top of the charts very soon!

Thanks so much, Stella. But don't leave the country yet (I see you are in the UK, I am next door in Belgium), as Anton, the supper newbie, will no doubt need your services in the very near future.

Anton