Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 03-05-2018, 08:58 AM   #1
TLreaper
Human being with feelings

Default I'm routing MIDI to my Casio but it seems to be quantized or something

Hey. I wrote a piano piece in MIDI. I thought of using a VST but didn't find a free one which was good enough. I have a PX5S and decided to route my MIDI to the keyboard and record the sound.

Thing is, I used humanization and some manual fine tuning to make articulations in "sweeped" chords, and when I listen to the recording from my Casio the rhythm gets a bit weird in some parts. I compare it to the MIDI with a VST and you can hear the exact position of some notes is being changed when routed to the Casio, which compromises the rhythmic feel I'm aiming for.

I suspect it's perhaps how the MIDI is sent out? Does it revolve "clock" settings or something I can change? I'm using MIDI-over-USB with the Class Compliant Casio driver.

Thanks in advance.
TLreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:41 AM   #2
LugNut

Hi,

All I can say is some cheaper midi over USB cannot handle dense midi streams.
LugNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:57 AM   #3
TLreaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
Hi,

All I can say is some cheaper midi over USB cannot handle dense midi streams.
In what way? It can't possibly be bandwidth issues. I don't even think USB latency should come into play as everything would just be a little late to arrive at the keyboard, perhaps, but it shouldn't affect the micro-timing of notes at random.

EDIT: OK, I read about jitter and it seems MIDI over USB might experience it a little more badly. Perhaps that is why only some note sequences seem to get a bit off while other remain fine, but it said the jitter should actually be small enough to barely be detectable. To me what happens makes a "sweeped" piano chord (don't know how to call that, like a quick strum on the guitar) sound off enough that it loses the rhythmic feel.

Either way, the other option I have is to connect to the Casio with a DIN cable (that I need to buy) coming from my Babyface Pro, but that interface is also connected to the computer using USB. Perhaps its drivers should make for a lower jitter?

Last edited by TLreaper; 03-05-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:21 PM   #4
LugNut

Hi,
I'm not really talking about the USB/versus din stuff, I mean some cheap midi/USB adaptors are known for having problems.
Don't know what adaptor you have, but I would try the baby face/din thing. Midi cables aren't that expensive.
But its just a shot on my part. Gl

Unless, maybe the Casio can't handle it? I doubt that tho.

Last edited by LugNut; 03-05-2018 at 12:28 PM.
LugNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:27 PM   #5
TLreaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
Hi,
I'm not really talking about the USB/versus din stuff, I mean some cheap midi/USB adaptors are known for having problems.
Don't know what adaptor you have, but I would try the baby face/din thing. Midi cables aren't that expensive.
But its just a shot on my part. Gl
It is directly connected from the Casio as it has a MIDI input/output. Perhaps it's not as jitter-free as it should be.

I could get one, but I'm working on this piano thing for hours already and just needed to "render" the sound somehow. I thought I had a MIDI cable lying around but couldn't find any and it's pretty late at the moment.

Either way, I'd like to hear from a couple of other people if they believe going through the Babyface Pro should improve the MIDI timing.
RME do claim they use their "SteadyClock" technology which features very low jitter. Perhaps that same jitter affects MIDI performance?

Last edited by TLreaper; 03-05-2018 at 12:32 PM.