Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 05-25-2016, 02:27 PM   #201
Brado231
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Version 0.91 uploaded - could you please check whether this bug still occurs?
Seems to be working great now. Thanks!
Brado231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:57 PM   #202
Victor_M

Tested. Works OK now! Thanks a lot!
Victor_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:20 PM   #203
juliansader

As it turns out, I am not yet done with this script...

Here is the MIDI editor version!

No need for dummy envelopes and "Real-time copy to CC" any more. The script works well as a mouse action and can, for example, be linked to a double-click mouse modifier to easily insert an LFO into the time selection.

MIDI editor version: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Re...d%20shaper.lua

Envelope version: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Re...d%20shaper.lua

* v0.99 (2016-05-27)
+ The MIDI editor version is now available!
+ Envelope area now resizable (allowing finer resolution).
+ Alt-drag for quick delete of multiple nodes.
+ Slow start/end shape replaced by Sine in MIDI editor version.
+ Accurate interpolation of Fast start, Fast end and Sine shapes.
+ Menu button will be toggled on startup and termination.
+ Curve named "default" will be loaded on startup.

One remaining problem: I do not know how REAPER calculates its Bézier curves, so the MIDI editor version does not yet work with Bézier curves.

Last edited by juliansader; 05-29-2016 at 12:27 PM.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:30 PM   #204
Brado231

Amazing once again! Thanks!!
Brado231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:36 PM   #205
EvilDragon

Does the script include automatic filtering of duplicate consecutive events as well? If not, might be a good thing to have to prevent too thick MIDI streams.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 04:22 PM   #206
musicbynumbers

Absolutely amazing Julian! thanks!
Old 05-27-2016, 04:25 PM   #207
hamish

Exceptional work julian, and thanks, this really is what envelopes in REAPER has been missing.
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:44 PM   #208
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Does the script include automatic filtering of duplicate consecutive events as well? If not, might be a good thing to have to prevent too thick MIDI streams.
It does not filter duplicate events: My idea is to leave all CCs so that the user can do further manipulations such as warping, tilting etc. Then, when the user wants to clean up the CCs, the user can run a quick one-click "Remove redundant CCs" action.

After reading your reply, I discovered that DarkStar/spk77's Remove redundant CC messages does not work with pitchwheel or channel pressure. Bummer. So I quickly slapped together my own version of a "Remove redundant CCs" script:

I'll give the description and download link in the Simple but useful MIDI editor tools: warp, stretch, deselect etc thread.

Last edited by juliansader; 06-09-2016 at 01:07 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:13 AM   #209
EvilDragon

I'd love to have it all in one script if possible, just a checkbox for "Remove duplicate events".
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:40 PM   #210
musicbynumbers

Hi Julian, not sure why but the new midi version of the LFO script doesn't work for me

It just wipes what is there and gives me 1 single CC at the start of the time selection.

Any idea why?
Old 05-28-2016, 12:50 PM   #211
Sexan

edit... mistake
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:59 PM   #212
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Hi Julian, not sure why but the new midi version of the LFO script doesn't work for me

It just wipes what is there and gives me 1 single CC at the start of the time selection.

Any idea why?
Weird... Does the script do that in all your projects?

You are welcome to send me any GIFs, MIDIs or RPPs that may help me replicate and debug the script.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:21 PM   #213
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Weird... Does the script do that in all your projects?

You are welcome to send me any GIFs, MIDIs or RPPs that may help me replicate and debug the script.
Tried a few other projects with same results.

What happens is it clears all but the first CC and creates a last CC (which is just after the time selection ends).

If you then change a parameter in the script (like rate) you can see both of these CCs change to what would be the right values but nothing gets created in between. That area stays empty.

Not sure what I could give you to test it other than my whole reaper config backup which is 200mbs I think now

I'll see if there's anything else I can do but if you think of anything that might be good for your bug testing, let me know!

lastly, Just added those other scripts of yours to key commands, they are amazing thanks! I was going to add them to a floating toolbar but they seem to only work on key commands right? They wouldn't work on mouse modifiers either?

Have you considered maybe "tying" them all up into one GUI whereby you can select the one you want to use right then. Actually.. maybe that wouldn't be a good idea either as you need to be able to use them once in a blue moon more than a lot at once.

My main issue was really just remembering which keycommand is doing what without having to try them first I use to have a mechanical real key command box but now I'm all reaper toolbars on touchscreens which doesn't work.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-28-2016, 09:44 PM   #214
juliansader

Quote:
Tried a few other projects with same results.

What happens is it clears all but the first CC and creates a last CC (which is just after the time selection ends).
I think I've solved it! My scripts try to be user friendly by automatically getting the user's setting for Preferences -> MIDI editor -> Events per quarter note when drawing in CC lanes. However, if "Zoom dependent" is selected, the number that REAPER stores for this setting is negative and that confuses the script. I will quickly fix this.

In the meantime, could you please check whether this is indeed the cause of your problem?

Quote:
lastly, Just added those other scripts of yours to key commands, they are amazing thanks! I was going to add them to a floating toolbar but they seem to only work on key commands right? They wouldn't work on mouse modifiers either?
The LFO tool and the Deselect script can be linked to menu buttons (the LFO tool will toggle the state of the button when the GUI opens and closes), but the other scripts depend on the mouse being positioned in the target CC lane, so I have not enabled them to work with menu buttons - they work more like mouse modifiers. However... now that you mentioned it, I realize that it may be useful to be able to link them to buttons, so that the button lights up when the script is being run and the user can easily see which action is currently active. I will enable this in the next update.

Quote:
My main issue was really just remembering which keycommand is doing what without having to try them first I use to have a mechanical real key command box but now I'm all reaper toolbars on touchscreens which doesn't work.

Any suggestions?
Since you can link user scripts to almost use any key in the keyboard, they can actually be easier to remember than mouse modifier key combinations. Personally I simply use:
"1" -> 1-sided warp
"2" -> 2-sided warp
"t" -> tilt
"s" -> stretch
etc

Quote:
The LFO tool works nicely with a mouse modifier. Personally I have it linked to double-click in CC lane, so I can cntl-alt-drag to select time and then double-click to immediately insert an LFO.

Unfortunately, the other scripts will not work with mouse modifiers, because of current limitations in how REAPER handles mouse modifiers versus custom scripts. There are a few Feature Requests that would help enable mouse-drag custom scripts to be used with mouse modifiers, including:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=176508
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...48#post1683848

Quote:
Have you considered maybe "tying" them all up into one GUI whereby you can select the one you want to use right then. Actually.. maybe that wouldn't be a good idea either as you need to be able to use them once in a blue moon more than a lot at once.
If you use MIDI to compose or do mockups, these CC manipulation functions are bread-and-butter functions that are used every few minutes - not merely once in a blue moon! This is why it is so important for REAPER to include functions such as these as native actions and/or mouse actions.

Last edited by juliansader; 05-29-2016 at 01:29 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:33 AM   #215
musicbynumbers

Thanks Julian for such a detailed and useful reply!

I absolutely think it is the - 32 issue as I noticed this in your interpolation script and thought it weird there was a negative number there that I had to change to a positive to get it to work

sorry, I should have mentioned that!

Will out the lfo on a mouse modifier as that will be useful.

The buttons listing up would be cool too. That's why I did the toolbar initially as I thought I could use them via right clicking on the toolbar button (which "arms" it for use) but alas, that didn't work.

One thing I might do is put the keyboard button in the toolbar name so at least they are linked I have way too many to remember of by heart although yours make sense so might try those too.

Will vote on those feature requests too. They would be useful!

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 05-29-2016 at 06:38 AM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:32 PM   #216
juliansader

v0.991 has been uploaded to the scripts' new home at Github (as part of the ReaTeam scripts for ReaPack), and the download links have been updated.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:57 PM   #217
musicbynumbers

Quote:
v0.991 has been uploaded to the scripts' new home at Github (as part of the ReaTeam scripts for ReaPack), and the download links have been updated.
glad to hear that nice work!
Old 06-13-2016, 11:16 AM   #218
framus2

Hello.

Good job. Thanks for sharing!
But how can I install the tool.

Thanks and best regards

Franz Willi
framus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:47 AM   #219
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by framus2 View Post
Hello.

Good job. Thanks for sharing!
But how can I install the tool.

Thanks and best regards

Franz Willi
ReaPack is a nifty new extension for REAPER that will help you install this LFO Tool, as well as many other useful scripts (including my other scripts).
Old 06-13-2016, 12:03 PM   #220
Iu.Gob

Thanks a lot!!! ¡Muchas gracias, amigo juliansader!
Regards
Iu.Gob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:12 PM   #221
juliansader

Since I last posted the GIFs, there have been several improvements in the LFO Tool, particularly to allow precise synchronization with tempo/measures:

v0.996:
+ Mousewheel can be used for super fine adjustment of node values.
+ Rightclick in envelope area to set the LFO period to precise note lengths.

v0.997:
+ Envelope value displayed above hotpoint. User can select Rate display as Frequency or Period note length.

v0.998:
+ Silly bug - skip this version.

v0.999:
+ New interpolation formula for Rate envelope for improved (but still not perfect) synchronization to variable tempos.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:50 PM   #222
X-Raym

Excellent work
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:57 PM   #223
lowellben

Quote:
Since I last posted the GIFs, there have been several improvements in the LFO Tool, particularly to allow precise synchronization with tempo/measures:

v0.996:
+ Mousewheel can be used for super fine adjustment of node values.
+ Rightclick in envelope area to set the LFO period to precise note lengths.

v0.997:
+ Envelope value displayed above hotpoint. User can select Rate display as Frequency or Period note length.

v0.998:
+ Silly bug - skip this version.

v0.999:
+ New interpolation formula for Rate envelope for improved (but still not perfect) synchronization to variable tempos.
Can we find these in the ReaPack thingy or no? I'm trying to wrap my head around it, sorry! Thank you for all the hard work!!

Nevermind, found it!! This is awesome!!!
Old 06-15-2016, 04:03 PM   #224
juliansader

v0.9999 is now available with an option to switch between Timebase: Beats and Timebase: Time. In Timebase: Beats, the LFO is synced to beats and tempo.

I think the LFO Tool is almost ready to be released as a fully-fledged, full-featured v1.0, so please let me know if there are any bugs that need to be sorted out.

I would also like to suggest that further discussion about this script shift over to the LFO tool for MIDI editor and envelopes thread in the Reascript forum.

Last edited by juliansader; 06-15-2016 at 04:42 PM.