Old 02-07-2020, 06:54 PM   #1
passenger1147
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper/LBXSmartKnobs/FaderBox/Realearn

Hi Folks.

I recently picked up a BCR2000. I've managed to get it working and mapped it's 108 functions to 4 different instances of FaderBox.

I customized FaderBox a little, mainly just the labels to help visually identifying things.

The 1st instance uses the stock script.. 32 Faders mapped 8 encoders x 4 Groups.
The 2nd instance uses a slight script mod, saved as a different script, I just changed the fader labels to "FB1, FB2..." these map to the 8 Encoder buttons x the 4Groups.
The 3rd instance uses another script BU1, BU2 for 20 buttons
The 4th instance uses another script Enc1, Enc2 for 24 encoders.

I've got this all mapped and functioning with Realearn. All 4 faderbox instances and all 108 functions respond accordingly.

When I open a plugin I've started configuring with LBX SmartKnobs:
The 1st Instance encoders work as expected (though I don't have feedback going to my LEDs yet)
The 2nd instance encoder buttons work as expected (minus feedback)
The 3rd instance buttons work as expected (minus feedback)
The 4th instance doesn't work.

If I have the 4th instance open, while a plugin is open, the encoders stop communicating properly and instead of adjusting the value appropriately, they move until I stop turning the knob, then automatically jump back to zero. The plugin
doesn't respond to knob action.. and Faderbox just keeps jumping back to zero.

When I close the plugin; the 4th instance of FaderBox starts responding appropriately again.

Any ideas ?
passenger1147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:38 AM   #2
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by passenger1147 View Post
Hi Folks.

I recently picked up a BCR2000. I've managed to get it working and mapped it's 108 functions to 4 different instances of FaderBox.

I customized FaderBox a little, mainly just the labels to help visually identifying things.

The 1st instance uses the stock script.. 32 Faders mapped 8 encoders x 4 Groups.
The 2nd instance uses a slight script mod, saved as a different script, I just changed the fader labels to "FB1, FB2..." these map to the 8 Encoder buttons x the 4Groups.
The 3rd instance uses another script BU1, BU2 for 20 buttons
The 4th instance uses another script Enc1, Enc2 for 24 encoders.

I've got this all mapped and functioning with Realearn. All 4 faderbox instances and all 108 functions respond accordingly.

When I open a plugin I've started configuring with LBX SmartKnobs:
The 1st Instance encoders work as expected (though I don't have feedback going to my LEDs yet)
The 2nd instance encoder buttons work as expected (minus feedback)
The 3rd instance buttons work as expected (minus feedback)
The 4th instance doesn't work.

If I have the 4th instance open, while a plugin is open, the encoders stop communicating properly and instead of adjusting the value appropriately, they move until I stop turning the knob, then automatically jump back to zero. The plugin
doesn't respond to knob action.. and Faderbox just keeps jumping back to zero.

When I close the plugin; the 4th instance of FaderBox starts responding appropriately again.

Any ideas ?
Hi,

It wasn't really designed to have more than one instance of the script running at once.

Have you put all the faderboxes on the same LBX_SKCTL track? The problem is that the scripts will all likely be trying to read/write/control all the faderboxes - as the script is designed to detect more than 1 faderbox and control all of them.

If this is the case - your best bet would be to separate the faderboxes onto separate SKCTL tracks (name each differently) - and then adjust each script to only read from its own control track.

eg:

Script1 -> uses LBX_SKCTL with one faderbox
Script2 -> uses LBX_SKCTL2 with one faderbox
Script3 -> uses LBX_SKCTL3 with one faderbox

etc.

I haven't got time to check just now - but I would search in the script code for all instances of the control track name - and replace with the new name... Hopefully you won't need to do much more than that - but I've not been able to look at the code just now to check.
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 04:01 PM   #3
passenger1147

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've since been playing more with it and my struggles were due to misunderstanding how the smartknobs numbers map to faderbox/midi controller.

I have it all working now as expected with feedback.

All the faderboxes are on a single control channel. It's more robust than you suspected.

My last outstanding issue is the performance when output device is set in relearn. The performance of the knobs slows down and it gets jittery. I'm guessing a buffer issue somewhere??

Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:31 AM   #4
lb0

Quote:

I've since been playing more with it and my struggles were due to misunderstanding how the smartknobs numbers map to faderbox/midi controller.

All the faderboxes are on a single control channel. It's more robust than you suspected.

My last outstanding issue is the performance when output device is set in relearn. The performance of the knobs slows down and it gets jittery. I'm guessing a buffer issue somewhere??

I'm afraid I know nothing about Realearn and how that works. If your controller is programmable - you shouldn't need to use Realearn. You just map the controls for F1-32 to CC0-31 - and set the internal faderbox feedback to to C0-31 and then feed the output back to the controller.
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:19 AM   #5
passenger1147

I'm using Realearn like this: https://reaperblog.net/2019/04/midi-feedback/

It was the first vid I came across and mentioned some issues with using feedback with just faderbox.

I should your suggestion a shot though and see what happens.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:34 PM   #6
passenger1147

I have removed Realearn from the equation and have had a mix of results. At one point it was almost working, but Faderbox wants the controls for output to be CC0-31 - my device by default was CC1-32.. I've modified it so now it's CC0-31.

My issue now is this: When faderbox Feedback is turned off it responds to my midi device appropriately. When I enable feedback, the faders bounce to zero. This is regardless of having Smartknobs enabled or not.

See video: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AtKdjEnW-nDkgVoQ...e1BS9?e=Bt8gHM

It's like when I enable feedback the midi setting is changing to a On/Off parameter rather than a variable control.. I've seen this behaviour with SmartKNobs running and when a control is not mapped; but like I said, this video was without SmartKnobs running.

Grateful for any help.

Screen Grab of the MIDI Learn: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtKdjEnW-nDkgVuL...Rteay?e=QAhHPm

Last edited by passenger1147; 02-20-2020 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:22 AM   #7
TonE

Quote:
I have removed Realearn from the equation and have had a mix of results. At one point it was almost working, but Faderbox wants the controls for output to be CC0-31 - my device by default was CC1-32.. I've modified it so now it's CC0-31.
Is not it easier modifying Faderbox instead?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:01 PM   #8
passenger1147

I was struggling to do that successfully...and eventually decided I could program my midi device quicker.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:39 AM   #9
TonE

You only need to add 1 in the right place.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:21 PM   #10
passenger1147

That was my assumption to..and it worked except for the encoder that was on cc32.

I saw worked, except when I enabled feedback, the functionality of the encoders became slow/jittery.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:07 PM   #11
Eufonic

Quote:

i too am getting jittery feedback from realearn on knobs, why is this?
Eufonic is offline   Reply With Quote