Old 02-14-2020, 05:43 AM   #1
buckman
Human being with feelings

Default Portable Install Questions?

I've been asked now and again to go to a local studio to mix and produce with me as an engineer.

I use Reaper a lot, but with v6.0 I wasn't that confident so had to use Ableton.

Using Ableton meant i had to drag in my iMac, Keyboard, Drive and Mouse as the studio only has a PC system.

Just had a thought, that if I used (a portable install) Reaper and my personal configuration and template all on a USB Stick! i could use this anywhere regardless of Mac/PC?

So if I was fluent in Reaper, and had everything set up, could I save this to a USB portable HD (so I have storage space, as well as the portable Reaper Install), or even a USB stick?

Sorry for the question, but haven't looked at this since a few years back, and it seemed a bit convoluted to do a USB portable install but it maybe easier now?

Also how does it work if I wanted my VST's to appear in another machine, that i'd use within my Reaper template? Is that just not possible with portable installs?

Secondly, if I do the mix and work on Reaper PC, would this load at home on Reaper Mac (on the same drive if its formatted as ExFAT so both systems read write)?

Is Reaper cross-platform in this way between PC and Mac?

thanks for any help!
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:13 AM   #2
domzy

it wouldn't be "regardless of pc / mac" as there are different versions for mac, windows & linux.
Any plugins you wanted to use would have to either already be on the machine or ideally, you'd have to have them installed on the USB stick.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:35 AM   #3
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
it wouldn't be "regardless of pc / mac" as there are different versions for mac, windows & linux.
So hows best to go between PC and Mac? Save a PC template version and a Mac Template Version?
and the .RPP would open between the two?
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:54 AM   #4
domzy

have a mac version on the mac & a windows version on the pc (or one of each on a usb stick) - projects & configurations should be compatible between the two.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:42 AM   #5
dnadanny

Default USB portable osx

Hi
I followed the advice I found here
https://youtu.be/PlsLEc5cvEM

But I got error messages on opening the reaper file from the usb drive. The message says corrupt file move to trash.
after a little digging I found that this a permissions setting that you can get round by following the same install to advice but onto a folder on your macs HD. Then copy that folder onto the usb drive.
Works for me
dnadanny is offline   Reply With Quote