Old 07-28-2017, 02:46 PM   #41
bobruzzo
Human being with feelings

Default RE: Soundcloud dying

I used to use Soundcloud years back. But now it is so full of fluff and annoying junk. It also won't let you post songs on social media using a music player like before. I moved all my music to Bandcamp. Easily customizable and NO ANNOYING FLUFF! Plus I was getting a bunch of spam and crap. Bandcamp is a much more successful site.
bobruzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:11 AM   #42
NowoTone

I'm in two minds. I have a paid and a free SC account and used the paid one intensively for my electronica music. The free one is for my rock/pop based stuff, but really most of the songs on there are hidden, they are demos for collaborations with other people.

I lost interest in SC some time ago when they dropped the groups. I was very active in some of the groups and we had a nice community going in a couple of them, where I got to know some of the regulars really well and through those groups, there was always a ready audience for honest feedback. I met several musicians with whom I collaborated via the groups, but also found just music I liked and would never have heard of otherwise. The new system sucks, the community is gone and really all that is left in it for me is a place for my songs to live, so I can easily send links to other people.

So I went from being a fanatic soundcloud user, who was just about to switch his second account to a paid one and spent a lot of time exploring new sounds, to a really frustrated one, who doesn't really care about it anymore one way or another, in a couple of weeks.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:19 PM   #43
Oughta Crawl

Default black kitchenware everywhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
Not in my experience, no.

Bandcamp is good for merch and release month sales, but it brings in about one sixth as much as Spotify a month for me, if that. Bandcamp is useful but overrated and obnoxiously self congratulatory in how they describe themselves
Kind of like you then. Oh snap those pinchers really hurt.
Oughta Crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:24 PM   #44
Oughta Crawl

Default soundclot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowoTone View Post
I'm in two minds. I have a paid and a free SC account and used the paid one intensively for my electronica music. The free one is for my rock/pop based stuff, but really most of the songs on there are hidden, they are demos for collaborations with other people.

I lost interest in SC some time ago when they dropped the groups. I was very active in some of the groups and we had a nice community going in a couple of them, where I got to know some of the regulars really well and through those groups, there was always a ready audience for honest feedback. I met several musicians with whom I collaborated via the groups, but also found just music I liked and would never have heard of otherwise. The new system sucks, the community is gone and really all that is left in it for me is a place for my songs to live, so I can easily send links to other people.

So I went from being a fanatic Soundcloud user, who was just about to switch his second account to a paid one and spent a lot of time exploring new sounds, to a really frustrated one, who doesn't really care about it anymore one way or another, in a couple of weeks.
Me too. Groups being taken away was the sign that the ones who initially cared had moved on to greener pastures. Leaving us with the carrion bird brains who run it currently. How many hot chicks with good music taste you really think there are in this world? Soundcloud is spreading false hopes.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:00 AM   #45
Judders

Ugh, I just found out how they play to save themselves...

An ad played after a song.

This will be the death of Soundcloud
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:24 AM   #46
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post

This will be the death of Soundcloud
I don't have any advertisement. Maybe you should use some adblock?
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:27 AM   #47
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
I don't have any advertisement. Maybe you should use some adblock?
This morning I played a new upload by my friend, after it, the next thing that played in the soundcloud player was an advert. I doubt that an ad blocker would stop that.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:44 AM   #48
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
This morning I played a new upload by my friend, after it, the next thing that played in the soundcloud player was an advert. I doubt that an ad blocker would stop that.
I don't have any adverts here.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:46 AM   #49
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
I don't have any adverts here.
Lucky you!

Have you tried letting your stream play for a few songs?
Old 07-31-2017, 03:47 AM   #50
Irvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luster View Post
Beside Taylor Swift you are that one musician earning good money with Spotify?
Seriously you made me curious - all what I heard before is that Spotify is a joke for a musicians income unless your first name is something like Michael ending with Jackson or so.
Nobody outside well-established artists makes any significant money from SoundCloud, Spotify, YouTube, etc.

The myth of streaming services money for unknowns is perpetuated by a group of people who make a living from selling dreams to gullible individuals. The simple reality is very different: if you are not on the radio, you are not making money.

The music industry is unchanged: a tiny minority achieves fame and fortune. The rest doesn't. And that's probably the way it should be, as most people make really terrible music.
Irvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:59 AM   #51
sfiks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroephonics View Post
Every link I've come across with the Soundcloud player doesn't have a volume control for playback. Or if it DOES have one, it's so well hidden, I cannot locate it.
Here it is:

Attached Images
File Type: png SoundCloud_volume.png (60.2 KB, 203 views)
Old 07-31-2017, 11:14 AM   #52
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvin View Post
Nobody outside well-established artists makes any significant money from SoundCloud, Spotify, YouTube, etc. The myth of streaming services money for unknowns is perpetuated by a group of people who make a living from selling dreams to gullible individuals. The simple reality is very different: if you are not on the radio, you are not making money.
what are you considering "significant money" ? 0-5k annually? 5-10? 10-20? 20-40? 60+?

unless we have extremely different views on what constitutes "significant money" i would say that you're very wrong here

Last edited by mccrabney; 07-31-2017 at 11:22 AM.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:15 AM   #53
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oughta Crawl View Post
oh snap those pinchers really hurt.
nothing i have said has been self congratulatory. my career has a LONG way to go.

in fact, i'd go as far as to say that modesty is one of my (numerous) virtues.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:02 PM   #54
Irvin

Quote:
what are you considering "significant money" ? 0-5k annually? 5-10? 10-20? 20-40? 60+?

unless we have extremely different views on what constitutes "significant money" i would say that you're very wrong here
Fair question. "Significat money" means a steady stream of income that surpasses the cost of producing and posting the recorded material to the streaming service(s). Most musicians are spending lots of time and money preparing the material posted online (often even paying a fee to third parties to place it in Amazon, ITunes, etc.) only to get royalties that are a tiny fraction of their investment. Losses are the rule - profit is the exception, when it comes to unknown musicians. It has always been like that, and the web has done nothing to change the situation.

Significant money is not a set amount per year. You can generate 10 millions if you spend 100 millions! (Extreme example). Significant money is profit that allows you to make a sustainable living from your endeavor.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:58 PM   #55
mccrabney

Quote:
Significant money is profit that allows you to make a sustainable living from your endeavor.
i make a sustainable living from money paid out by streaming music services. i don't consider myself well established, but maybe we need to define that, too.

no argument that the "Joe Nobody" band, who doesn't show up on Spotify Discover Weekly and whose material maybe gets streamed 400 times a month by Maw and Paw isn't making any money on Spotify, but there is a huge difference between "Nobody (other than the established) makes money on Spotify" and "Nobodies make no money on Spotify."

i'm a small fish in a massive global ocean. i don't pay out to a label and i am a solo musician, and streaming services pay for my frugal life. it's not as bleak as i'm reading here, and i would go as far as to say that there's never been a better time to be a musician. i bet there are many, or at least several people on the REAPER forums who make good money from streaming services.

i understand i might be singing a different tune if i were the drummer in a 3 piece band splitting royalties 50-50 with a label and taking home less than 17% of the revenue.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:47 PM   #56
Oughta Crawl

Default To the guy who has the crabs...

Quote:
i make a sustainable living from money paid out by streaming music services. i don't consider myself well established, but maybe we need to define that, too.

no argument that the "Joe Nobody" band, who doesn't show up on Spotify Discover Weekly and whose material maybe gets streamed 400 times a month by Maw and Paw isn't making any money on Spotify, but there is a huge difference between "Nobody (other than the established) makes money on Spotify" and "Nobodies make no money on Spotify."

i'm a small fish in a massive global ocean. i don't pay out to a label and i am a solo musician, and streaming services pay for my frugal life. it's not as bleak as i'm reading here, and i would go as far as to say that there's never been a better time to be a musician. i bet there are many, or at least several people on the REAPER forums who make good money from streaming services.

i understand i might be singing a different tune if i were the drummer in a 3 piece band splitting royalties 50-50 with a label and taking home less than 17% of the revenue.
Okay you either have an agenda here or your stroking your own delusion with some ripe megalomania sprouting out behind you. Common sense as far as I understand it dictates thus. If not with the way you prance around here as a braggart on your tiny crab legs, you should also have no problem giving us a link or at the very least the name of your self supporting popular project. It would be selfish of you not to actually. When there are people here who could learn by you and from you. After all that is why you are here... isn't it? To help out and give off hope to the others? Unless your here to blow hot hair bubbles from beneath your soft shelled exoskeleton? Actual dollar amount would also be pragmatic in listing as to provide a guide to others as they plan to follow your tiny imprints in the sand. You are a self contained musician so there are no legalities stopping you. Hell maybe you'll get a few new fans out of it. Not that you need them but it could mean an even easier existence than the one you purport to have now. So come on put your money where your feed hole is??? You should smell of the ocean and the beach but all I smell is a wet dead rat. Prove me wrong though. I actually hope you do. I often am anyways and I have no qualms about sincerely apologizing if you do so. But so it goes I will not hold my breath and dive for pearls on your dubious words of seemingly nihil merits. Thank you kindly enough I suppose. -Andy Tithesis
Old 07-31-2017, 07:56 PM   #57
Irvin

Quote:

Would you mind sharing the name of your band/act on Spotify?
Old 08-01-2017, 03:00 AM   #58
Luster

Quote:
Nobody outside well-established artists makes any significant money from SoundCloud, Spotify, YouTube, etc.

The myth of streaming services money for unknowns is perpetuated by a group of people who make a living from selling dreams to gullible individuals. The simple reality is very different: if you are not on the radio, you are not making money.
Pretty bold statement without any source. You have a look at every musicians bank account I guess?

Guys, cmon. I asked him, he responded. Everything is fine. You don't believe it? Well then write that but don't make such claims like you are the CEO of Soundcloud, Spotify, Bandcamp and Youtube all in one.

@mccrabney
Thanks for your input. Always good to hear some concrete direct experience in that regard.
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:23 AM   #59
barrymk

Well I reckon I'm one of the many hobby (nowadays anyway) musicians who've never made a penny from my Bandcamp account and likely never will. But perhaps the reason for that is that my music a) isn't good enough b) doesn't fit the modern idiom c) isn't promoted in any way by its creator and so on. For me it's the vanity publishing equivalent for unknown musicians. I publish my songs because I'm vain enough to believe in them, I offer my songs to the world in a small way and if the world isn't interested I'm not going to cry myself to sleep as I had fun making and recording them.

I feel for those who want to make a living from their music but it's always been a hard road to follow and always will be.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:31 AM   #60
mccrabney

Quote:
Would you mind sharing the name of your band/act on Spotify?
i'm not going to do that, and if you need a reason, read the absolutely unhinged post above yours. i've struck a deep and sensitive nerve here and i have zero idea why.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:34 AM   #61
Judders

Quote:
i'm not going to do that, and if you need a reason, read the absolutely unhinged post above yours. i've struck a deep and sensitive nerve here and i have zero idea why, but this is why i bet several working artists here post under pseudonyms
Look man, it's not an unreasonable request; just post your tax returns for the last 3 years, social security number, full postal address including zip code and home phone number, otherwise no-one will believe that you make a meagre living from music.

D'ya think Oughta Crawl might have a slight case of sour grapes?
Old 08-01-2017, 05:30 AM   #62
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
Actual dollar amount would also be pragmatic in listing as to provide a guide to others as they plan to follow your tiny imprints in the sand.
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/201...ated-for-2017/

The most important point: get a following on a decent service, preferrably multiple ones (in 2017, that's not really Youtube for active listens, only for promotion).

Last edited by Lunar Ladder; 08-01-2017 at 05:44 AM.
Lunar Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:38 AM   #63
Rangler

I'm hearing that they might go under before the year ends. That bailout didn't change the business model, I guess.

Maybe not have 180 minutes free, but charge like a dollar per song you upload. Get rid of the pro levels.
Rangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:01 PM   #64
mlprod

Quote:
Okay you either have an agenda here or your stroking your own delusion with some ripe megalomania sprouting out behind you. Common sense as far as I understand it dictates thus. If not with the way you prance around here as a braggart on your tiny crab legs, you should also have no problem giving us a link or at the very least the name of your self supporting popular project. It would be selfish of you not to actually. When there are people here who could learn by you and from you. After all that is why you are here... isn't it? To help out and give off hope to the others? Unless your here to blow hot hair bubbles from beneath your soft shelled exoskeleton? Actual dollar amount would also be pragmatic in listing as to provide a guide to others as they plan to follow your tiny imprints in the sand. You are a self contained musician so there are no legalities stopping you. Hell maybe you'll get a few new fans out of it. Not that you need them but it could mean an even easier existence than the one you purport to have now. So come on put your money where your feed hole is??? You should smell of the ocean and the beach but all I smell is a wet dead rat. Prove me wrong though. I actually hope you do. I often am anyways and I have no qualms about sincerely apologizing if you do so. But so it goes I will not hold my breath and dive for pearls on your dubious words of seemingly nihil merits. Thank you kindly enough I suppose. -Andy Tithesis
Wtf???
mlprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:13 PM   #65
jerome_oneil

Quote:
i'm not going to do that, and if you need a reason, read the absolutely unhinged post above yours. i've struck a deep and sensitive nerve here and i have zero idea why.
You've struck a nerve with the deeply unhinged, which is why you got the unhinged response. Your story flies directly in the face of their religious faith that "corporations bad! They steal all the moneys!"

There are folks here that are genuinely interested in new music. I'm one of them. Post up what you've done. I'm a Spotify user, and would be happy to send a few more clicks your way.

You should never be ashamed of what you create. Haters gonna hate, so fuck them.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:14 PM   #66
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangler View Post
I'm hearing that they might go under before the year ends. That bailout didn't change the business model, I guess.

Maybe not have 180 minutes free, but charge like a dollar per song you upload. Get rid of the pro levels.
That would destroy the most creative amateur input. It would finish the model of Soundcloud as we know it, at least for a lot of people, destroying the concept/spirit of the site entirely. It would just be another purely commercial site.

At their most desperate they could make it that every contributor has to pay the basic entry "Pro" level (nonsense use of the word, as per usual; see most "pro" labelled gear) to post any tracks to keep the service afloat.
I think if it was that simple they would have asked members to do that.

Many amateur contributors know full well their music input has little to no commercial value. It's like sharing a painting or drawing, not a commercial venture.

Last edited by Softsynth; 08-01-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote