Old 01-10-2014, 03:52 AM   #1
amagalma
Human being with feelings

Default "Allow binding messages to Reaper" leads to double triggers!?

Hello to all!

I have made a TouchOSC layout in order to be able to control recording in REAPER remotely and got it working nice. For my custom actions I have used /action/(Cmd ID) messages from TouchOSC and Reaper recognizes them and all is well.

The problem is that Cmd IDs of custom actions are not fixed. So when I use my layout on another REAPER install (on another computer that has my custom actions installed), I get false action triggering since the Cmd IDs are not the same!

To overcome this, I thought to make TouchOSC send arbitrary messages and use "Allow binding messages to REAPER actions and FX learn". That way I could export my custom actions along with their shortcuts and import them to any Reaper install and have them work with my TouchOSC layout. And well, it works! ... kind of:

The new problem is that I get double triggering of my custom actions! TouchOSC is sending two messages. One message when you press a button and one message when you release it.. What could I do to stop the double triggers?

Thank you!
amagalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
Troy

You could try to use Toggle Buttons instead of Push Buttons within TouchOSC, then check "Local Feedback Off" in that button's properties. The buttons might work better for you this way... they did for me when I was working that way.
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:04 AM   #3
amagalma

Thank you Troy! That is a nice idea! The only problem would be that the buttons would not change colour when I pressed them.

In the meanwhile, I already programmed the buttons to send MIDI CCs and got them working with TouchOSC Bridge. So, I think I ll leave it as it is.
Here is my updated layout:

amagalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:57 AM   #4
Troy

I had the same issues with wanting the lights on to show the state of the toggle. The problem that I found was that with some Reaper actions there aren't discreet On/Off messages that can be sent, just a single toggle action. If you toggle the action via OSC and then hit a keyboard shortcut for the same action you will be out of sync. Likewise, if you load a project with a toggle in the "On" position you OSC interface won't reflect that. To avoid that confusion I reconciled myself to not having the local feedback. Obviously, your work habits and desires will dictate your preferences.
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote