Old 01-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
scythe
Human being with feelings

Default Please Dear God Help ...

Hello Forum members!

I am thrilled to own REAPER but my uses of it / needs for it are pretty simple. I purchased it in addition to BIAS PEAK LE 7, BIAS DECK 3.5 and TRACKTION 3. I bought REAPER on a whim (although glad I did) because I was hoping it would allow me to do something that is not functioning in any of the other hosts. I will explain:
System= MAC OS X 10.6.8 / 1.83GHz / 2GB ram / current version of REAPER / current updates to plug-ins ...

I have a virtual synth / player by NATIVE INSTRUMENTS called KORE 2 (also have the free KORE PLAYER). REAPER is recognizing both VST and AU of both softwares. When a particular series of patches (referred to as a KORE soundpack) is opened in either KORE device (the soundpack is called ANIMATED CIRCUITS) it becomes a self-sustaining, ever-morphing sound generator/arpeggiator which requires NO MIDI INPUT - IT JUST PLAYS. And you can tweak the sound in real time with the mouse in the GUI for KORE.

I am trying to record the sound output from KORE onto one or more audio tracks in Reaper - I am not trying to (or wanting to) record the MIDI/CONTROLLER messages - I just want to capture on the track (in my case, currently, TRACK 1) THE SAME EXACT SOUND THAT I AM HEARING IN MY HEADPHONES AND THROUGH THE LAPTOP SPEAKERS: THERE IS NO AUDIO INPUT IN USE, NO USB OR FIREWIRE AUDIO INTERFACE, AND NO MIDI INPUT DEVICE ATTACHED OR ENABLED.

This is how I work on stuff as I travel or away from home, at starbucks, whatever. None of the other DAWs that I listed will allow me to do this.

I can tell you that: When the track is record-enabled (yes I'm doing that) I can see the level meters moving both to the LEFT of the track and also in the section below. I can hear the synth as I tweak the parameters in real-time with my mouse using the onscreen display GUI; When I activate recording, I continue to hear my audio output thru the laptop speakers, the LEVEL METERS are still going nuts with signal, and sadly STILL NO WAVEFORM IS SHOWING ON THE TRACK - WHEN I ATTEMPT TO PLAY BACK WHAT I ANTICIPATED RECORDING - JUST MADDENING SILENCE.

Please help me to figure out my routing issue. I am a pretty smart guy but I am baffled and I need to get on with recording

Thanks so much - I'm pretty desperate here.

Chris
scythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Fex

I gather that you have the track armed to record, but have you checked that the record input is set to record stereo audio from your soundcard? By default, it should only record MIDI.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
dea-man

Default Do you have.....

Record:Output checked? It's in the dropdown box of the TCP. (Right Click.)
Old 01-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
scythe

dea-man: Could you please clarify - where am I right-clicking? Sorry but I will be good at this in a year
Old 01-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
Fex

Ah, yeah, that's the fella.... right or left click, it makes no difference.
It's the box on the track where it says "In" above "Out".
Change "Record input" to "Record output"....
Old 01-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #6
scythe

Fex - yes switched from midi to stereo output - my soundcard is the built-in core audio device on the mac. Track still not recognizing it.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
scythe

TCP? please bear with me here ..
Old 01-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #8
dea-man

Default Check it out.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythe View Post
dea-man: Could you please clarify - where am I right-clicking? Sorry but I will be good at this in a year
At the left end of the track is the TCP. It contains the volume and pan and other controls for the track.

Center right on the bottom of the TCP is a dark box that probably says MIDI, which is the default. Right click (or left for a more concise version)and you'll see a dropdown box with choices. Move down to Record:Output. Another dropdown list appears. Choose stereo or mono or whatever choice you like.

Does that solve your problem?
Old 01-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
Fex

TCP is Track Control Panel, but I was describing the same button on the Mixer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythe View Post
switched from midi to stereo output - my soundcard is the built-in core audio device on the mac. Track still not recognizing it.
Hmmm, it might be time to start posting screen shots....
Old 01-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #10
scythe

okay I see it - I'm in and there is a checkbox that says "master/parent send" - currently there is a checkmark in mine ... how about the setting for the audio output hardware? out 1/out 2, or "only 1" or "only 2"?
Old 01-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #11
dea-man

Default Try this....

At the top left of Reaper, go to Options > Preferences > Device > and under the Audio System drop down list what choices do you have?

You may need a proper audio interface.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #12
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
Center right on the bottom of the TCP is a dark box that probably says MIDI, which is the default.
Ok, I'll just shut up now....
Old 01-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #13
dea-man

Default Just trying to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
Ok, I'll just shut up now....
no reason to, we are both just trying to help. I am not sure if I am understanding or Scythe is misunderstanding.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #14
Fex

Quote:
no reason to, we are both just trying to help.
Yeah, but you obviously know what you're doing, and I'm just confusing the issue.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #15
dea-man

Default Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
Yeah, but you obviously know what you're doing, and I'm just confusing the issue.
Well, I've got you fooled at least. (Just kidding.)

I think I know what Scythe is after, but we will just have to wait and hear from him. I don't think he has a proper audio interface.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #16
scythe

Quote:
At the top left of Reaper, go to Options > Preferences > Device > and under the Audio System drop down list what choices do you have?

You may need a proper audio interface.
good call ...

my choices here are <none> <default system devices> <built-in mic> <built-in input> and <built-in output>

there is a check-able box at the bottom which says "allow use of different input and output devices (legacy option - not recommended)"

Thanks you guys so much for trying to help.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #17
dea-man

Default Try them all.....

you probably have to go with the "not recommended" and you DO need a proper interface. I gotta leave right now but I'll be back in an hour or so.

Try them all, there is no harm.

More later.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #18
scythe

Mucho thanks ... I will experiment a little - updates to follow. Thanks both of you again!
Old 01-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #19
beingmf

I hope not to add to the confusion but as far as I understand you a) don't eed a "proper" interface, and b) all you need to do is either set the track's recording option to "Record output (stereo)" or, even more simple, choose "Render live output" in the "File" menu.
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #20
Tod

Heh heh, okay I'll jump in. What about just Right/Click on the "Arm" button and select "Record output".
Old 01-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #21
Fex

Holy crap. Are there any buttons on this DAW that don't go there?
Old 01-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #22
scythe

Default WTF?

How can something so simple be so menacing? Thank you to those jumping in late. It's date night with the DAW so I will have plenty of unadulterated time to experiment.

Have been having the hardest time finding "record output" ...

Now I'm using something called SOUNDFLOWER that was a freebie with PEAK and apparently handles inner-routing the audio. Still confusing as hell, but somehow now at least, I am getting KORE waveform on multiple tracks (and even three different takes on TRACK 1 - which is wierd) However, I've got to play a little with the recording INPUT LEVEL - they're all overdriven - any good suggestions for a good middle of the road level on the VU meters? (I can normalize for volume later on) Thanks all - I don't think I'm out of the woods yet - and what's worse - although yesterday things seemed to be working with the addition of SOUNDFLOWER - I don't know WHY it's working and that frustrates me.

Anyone else use soundflower?

Also: I normally change my system output preferences using an external audio interface for live performance. My question: Now that i seem to have REAPER doing what I want it to do, will those ROUTING PREFERENCES be saved and automatically loaded every time I launch REAPER even though I changed the Mac audio I/O for the gig? I don't intend to use REAPER live - only recording.

Phew ...

sorry I'm so virgin with this stuff .. and thanks for the help!

scythChris
Old 01-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #23
beingmf

Haha – once you get the Reaper paradigms, it will be far from menacing I'm still not sure why you need the Soundflower detour, so I hesitate to answer your "routing" question.

But let me answer your levels question. Since you hopefully record in 24 bit, there's no need to go higher than -6dB, rather much lower for sounds without transients. If you aim for -18dB RMS (average) level, you likely won't clip the PA at the live venues* while at the same time have enough headroom for adding plugins and stacking tracks. No need for "normalize" btw.!!

* remember: -18dBFS (digital) roughly equals the 0dB mark on analog equipment. Output signals will sound best, if their peaks touch -12, in rare cases -6dB – depending on your DAC and the mixing console in the venue. Since more and more clubs cut the budget for their technical environment, I'd rather not rely on analog headroom of 12dB or more.
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #24
Amazed

Most of this simply because these track settings are not in the track menu where it could be easily explained and also easily found by beginners.
Amazed is offline   Reply With Quote