Old 05-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
Dimaension X
Human being with feelings

Default .sfz drum samples

I've just learned that a bunch of free acoustic drum samples are available at the following link:

http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2010...ums-full-kits/

But a lot of them are in .sfz format. I have NO IDEA what the heck that is or how I could use it in Reaper. Some are set up for Kontakt or Native Instrument Samplers (I have neither). Are these .WAV files that I can just drop into ReaDrums or do they really require some special sampler software?

I'm looking for free and simple samples that I can load onto my bass player's computer. He also uses Reaper (I converted him from GarageBand), but doesn't have a lot of tech or computer background. I just want to drop in some decent drum samples in ReaDrums so he can program some simple drumbeats. Help!
Dimaension X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Sibben

Sfz is a sample format. Dimension, sfz (free), alchemy player, wusikstation and session drummer to name a few plays it.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
suleiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaension X View Post
I've just learned that a bunch of free acoustic drum samples are available at the following link:

http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2010...ums-full-kits/

But a lot of them are in .sfz format. I have NO IDEA what the heck that is or how I could use it in Reaper. Some are set up for Kontakt or Native Instrument Samplers (I have neither). Are these .WAV files that I can just drop into ReaDrums or do they really require some special sampler software?

I'm looking for free and simple samples that I can load onto my bass player's computer. He also uses Reaper (I converted him from GarageBand), but doesn't have a lot of tech or computer background. I just want to drop in some decent drum samples in ReaDrums so he can program some simple drumbeats. Help!
Its just an open source format editable like a text file in notepad, so you need the sfz file (usually a very small file) plus a directory of wav files that the sfz file refers to

Sfz tells the sampler various things like what samples are mapped to what key, how the velocity layers respond , adsr etc... The addressing and folder patgs need to be consistent

Most of the free sample sets include the kontakt nki format , sfz as well as the original wavs....most of the ones on that webpage do for sure

Sfz is easily playable using the free rgc sfz player plus the evergreen shortcircuit

Or you could just use a readrum setup with the wavs , but multi layer sampling is gonna take a mlion instances of reasaplomatic 0
suleiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
Dimaension X

Thanks for the responses guys.

As long as there are WAV files, I'll drop them into ReaDrums. I mainly want the simplest possible option for my bassist who has almost no DAW experience and just wants to open a cheap and quick VST to program some quick drum beats.

Meanwhile I did download sfz player and will give it a try.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:00 AM   #5
Sibben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaension X View Post
Thanks for the responses guys.

As long as there are WAV files, I'll drop them into ReaDrums. I mainly want the simplest possible option for my bassist who has almost no DAW experience and just wants to open a cheap and quick VST to program some quick drum beats.

Meanwhile I did download sfz player and will give it a try.
Check the sfz-player then. Come to think of it that's probably a dead easy solution really: a complete drumkit as an sfz. All he needs to do is load the file in an instance of the FX and drum away on the keys.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:57 AM   #6
Dimaension X

I'll look into the SZ player - by the way - I tried some of the samples in ReaDrums, and they sound great.

I highly recommend the free Big Mono Drums from Analogue Drums. And the Slingerland Drum Kit by Indie Drums is also very cool. Both very natural sounding, recorded with a bit of "room ambience" that just makes them sound bigger.

Just so many to choose from now. Thanks for all your help guys.