Old 12-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
jonespnice
Human being with feelings

Default A BCF2000/Klinke question?

I'm using the Klinke Mackie control plugin and I'm trying to use the folder mode, I'm able to go up a level so that I can see the children tracks of the folder track but I can't figure out how to go back a level, the manual says to press the Global view button but there isn't a Global view button on the BCF2000, is there a work around?
Mac 10.11.6, Windows 10 pro, Reaper 5, Akai Advance keyboard, MPC X, Maschine 2, Arturia V Collection, Kore 2, Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, KeyScape, Trilian, VIP, Albino, Minimonsta, Moog Modular vsti, Apollo interface, Motu 828 mk3, Korg M1 vsti, Reason.
jonespnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
jonespnice

Okay I have recently found the solution. After playing around with different combination of buttons it looks like, in the four buttons on the top right just below the display, that if you press the top left one and the bottom right one at the same time then this translates to the "Global View" button.
The folder mode is great.
Mac 10.11.6, Windows 10 pro, Reaper 5, Akai Advance keyboard, MPC X, Maschine 2, Arturia V Collection, Kore 2, Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, KeyScape, Trilian, VIP, Albino, Minimonsta, Moog Modular vsti, Apollo interface, Motu 828 mk3, Korg M1 vsti, Reason.
jonespnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
nofish

The mysterious 'global view' button...

I have also wondered about exactly this for my Klinke/BCR2000 setup.

Even the MCU chart I usually refer to has no 'global view' button listed.

http://web.archive.org/web/200801260...ules/MCMap.htm

So for anyone also wondering about this:
Midi Note nr. 39 (D#2) seems to do the trick here to go back a level.

(sorry just seen this thread now, otherwise I would have replied earlier. But anyway, cool that you also figured it out)

Last edited by nofish; 12-12-2011 at 12:04 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
tehsux0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonespnice View Post
Okay I have recently found the solution. After playing around with different combination of buttons it looks like, in the four buttons on the top right just below the display, that if you press the top left one and the bottom right one at the same time then this translates to the "Global View" button.
The folder mode is great.
Thank you so much for this little nugget. I've spent the whole day working on this setup and was getting frustrated because the emulation charts on Behringer's website only show "global view" in Logic (LC) emulation mode, which I couldn't get to work with BCFView, whereas Sonar (MCSo) mode supports BCFView. I thought I'd have to choose between folder mode and BCFView but thanks to your information it's all there now :-D

-- sux
tehsux0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #5
rex1000

Wich Emulation Mode are you using, and how to set up the folder mode? I read the Klinke Manual, but its written for the Mackie Control.

I am using the BCF2000 with Klinke's MCU 0.8 in Sonar Mode

Thanks in Advance,

Roman
rex1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
tehsux0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex1000 View Post
Wich Emulation Mode are you using, and how to set up the folder mode? I read the Klinke Manual, but its written for the Mackie Control.

I am using the BCF2000 with Klinke's MCU 0.8 in Sonar Mode

Thanks in Advance,

Roman
Hi Roman,

I don't know whether that was directed at me, but I'll assume so :-D

I rejected the other emulation modes for various reasons and was left with either Logic (LC) or Sonar (MCSo) modes (shows as NCSo in the display). NB: when changing the emulation mode by holding a button in the top row, hold it only until the emulation-mode indicator appears and immediately release it, otherwise the BCF will appear not to work.

I use Sonar (MCSo) mode.

Folder mode is accessed by holding PAN/SURR (bottom-left of the middle 4-cluster in MCSo mode) and turning the third or fourth encoder knob at the top, but you really need BCFView and REAPER running at the same time (using Behringer's concurrent USB-MIDI driver) because (a) BCFView won't show anything unless REAPER+Klinke is running at the same time, and (b) the controls on the surface won't work unless REAPER can open the device too.

So the basic steps are:
(1) Install the Behringer USB-MIDI Driver and BCFView (both here: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/bcf2000.aspx )
(2) Run BCFView and configure it for the first BCF2000 MIDI input; also enable "always on top" and move the window somewhere convenient
(3) Run REAPER and install the Klinke module under "control surfaces", pointing it at the same MIDI input (the *first* one); don't forget to point it at the first BCF2000 MIDI-out device too, and turn on emulating OPTION via the right ALT key
(4) You should now find that the unit responds to REAPER and vice-versa, and that BCFView shows abbreviated track names
(5) For some reason the Klinke plugin seems to treat adjacent pairs of knobs as identical, so to access the "pan mode" options, hold right-ALT and turn the third knob while watching BCFView; I use "incl. parent" mode, which leaves a track accessible even when you're "inside" it, but if you don't like that use "only children"
(6) Once a folder mode is set, you don't strictly need BCFView any more because the plugin remembers its mode (unless your workflow requires changing modes on the fly), so you can just fire up REAPER in future without any hassle, or even uninstall the Behringer MIDI driver if you prefer the generic one for stability reasons (not had any problems with it myself)

In folder mode:
(a) Hold a second-row select button to "descend" into that track and assign its children to the BCF's controls. This works recursively, so you can nest child tracks as deep as you want in your project
(b) Do SHIFT+EDIT (in the top 4-cluster, hold the top-left and press the bottom-right) to ascend one level

I find "incl. parent" mode to be all I need, and press select buttons to figure out the mapping from looking at REAPER as I go, so I'm very happy.

Despite all the resources on this board, it still took me about a day and a half of solid concentration and experimentation to get this setup fully working, so I'm considering writing up another thread dedicated to explaining the specific BCF2000+Klinke+REAPER setup and giving exact steps. Does anyone else think this would be worthwhile? Please reply on this thread if so.

I've also labelled my BCF2000 for the features I use in Sonar mode, so I can easily upload a photo to help understand the layout if Roman or anyone else wants that.

Hope this helps

-- sux
Old 01-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
XarquS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehsux0r View Post
I'm considering writing up another thread dedicated to explaining the specific BCF2000+Klinke+REAPER setup and giving exact steps. Does anyone else think this would be worthwhile? Please reply on this thread if so.
Yes sir, please.

X.
XarquS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
tehsux0r

Default Question

While I'm here, a question of my own:

Is it possible to change the sensitivity of the sliders with Klinke's plugin? I'm finding it very difficult to reliably make half-dB adjustments on the BCF2000 and would like to be able to trade range for accuracy.

-- sux
Old 01-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #9
nightscope

Quote:
While I'm here, a question of my own:

Is it possible to change the sensitivity of the sliders with Klinke's plugin? I'm finding it very difficult to reliably make half-dB adjustments on the BCF2000 and would like to be able to trade range for accuracy.

-- sux
You can adjust the fader behaviour in Preferences/Appearance/[Vu Meters/Faders]. I have 'em set for Max precision at 0db, which gives you a lot of resolution around unity. So you got to get yer gain levels sorted out first.

ns
nightscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
nofish

Also you can adjust the range on the controller itself (at least this is possible on my BCR, so should be the same for the BCF I assume).
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #11
tehsux0r

Thanks guys, can't believe I missed that! FYI, I found "linear dB" impractically coarse on the BCF (even with a small dynamic range) and "max precision at 0dB" a bit severe, so I've settled for "REAPER 3" mode with 48 dB fader range and that seems to work well for me :-D
Old 01-22-2013, 11:25 PM   #12
rex1000

Wow, this reply was incredibly fast! Thank you!

I tested my BCF yesterday with the Klinke Setup. BCFview didnt work, the issue was that i havent installed the proper drivers. Windows Update installed a driver automatically, and i was able to control Reaper through the BCF, program it via BCFManager, and so on, but BCFView wasnt working with the driver wich was automatically installed. So i installed the original Behringer driver, and everything works fine.

You are right, without BCFView it is nearly impossible to set up the Folder Modes. But now everything is working as it should.

A thread about installing and using the BCF2000 with the Klinke MCU would be very worthy. Collecting all the information on how to use the BCF might get quite confusing, because the information is in so many threads in this forum, that collecting all this takes minimum half a day, as you said

The Folder mod is really great, what i didnt knew was how to enter a specific folder. Klinke wrote something on including the 'magical' Global View Button as a Reaper action, but i dont think this is necessary, because 'Going-Up' a level in the folder tree is made by SHIFT + EDIT.

With the BCF+Klinke+REAPER- User Manual i will offer my help with every information i have!

Thank you!

Roman
Old 01-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #13
tehsux0r

That's great news, Roman - glad it works for you.

I'll try to put together a post on the whole process as soon as I can. Watch this space.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #14
tehsux0r

I've written a first draft of the article, but haven't had a chance to check thoroughly for errors or omissions. Would anyone be interested in reviewing before I post it? If so, please PM me an e-mail address where I can send the draft (it's an .ODT and I haven't yet formatted it for the forum).

-- sux
Old 01-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #15
KevinW

Quote:
I've written a first draft of the article, but haven't had a chance to check thoroughly for errors or omissions. Would anyone be interested in reviewing before I post it? If so, please PM me an e-mail address where I can send the draft (it's an .ODT and I haven't yet formatted it for the forum).

-- sux
PM sent.
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #16
rex1000

Me too, i check all the functions
Old 02-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #17
bigmalh
Banned

Default BCF2000 GUIDE