Old 12-15-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
postech
Human being with feelings

Default band recording..

Ok.. I have been looking for a thread like this.. I am in two bands. I have a tascam 1800 along with a behringer 8 channel head phone set.. I want to record my bands doing some of our originals and covers.. I would like to hear from others that have done and set it up.. I am looking for the live recording. Not cut and paste dub overs... We do Rockabilly stuff. And I am willing to bet with the little equipment that I have I can get recordings better than what they had in the 50's . Here is one of the bands I am in..
I am the Upright Bass Player...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On14fd4TJkQ
postech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
daveyajd

What is your instrumentation? How many and what kind of mics do you have?
daveyajd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
Guncho

Next time you play a show run a left and right off the board and record it.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:46 AM   #4
oerk

I'm doing the same right now - 4-piece Rockabilly. I tried tracking live (8 tracks in the practice space), didn't work. You have to be really tight to do that. If you are that good there's nothing wrong with what you want to do.

We're tracking individually right now and it's hard enough as it is. And I still haven't found the right mic placement for the upright - the slap drowns out the notes everywhere.
oerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
bigwoody

Each situation can be really different, but this is at least what I do when recording a 'live sound'. I play in a 4 piece Celtic Rock band, guitar, cajon, violin, bass. We are pretty tight and the drummer is spot on, so typically no click track. I have delta 1010 soundcard that allows 8 simo recording inputs from my analog mixer. I put a couple mic's on the Cajon, and a Ribbon mic on the Violin. I run the Bass and Guitar direct in. I try to put the vocal mic as far away from the others as possible to isolate. Obviously there is huge bleed from the violin and Cajon but that gives some nice ambiance. Monitor all thru separate headphones (the same mix with different volume controls).
We will typically do two or three complete takes unless there is a screw up and we start over. These aren't really takes in the sense that the timing will be slightly different so no real ability for punch in. So I typically use new tracks, vs takes, but the same project.
Most of the time we can end up with a good final performance that only requires basic mixdown. Other times I may re-take the vocal. Even with vocal bleed to the other mic's (Cajon and Violin), the isolated re-take sounds good as the bleed is so far back it almost gives it a distance doubling effect.
That is kind of a basic high level overview. Hope it helps.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
Primitive Don

If you're recording a live band, I like to preserve the feel of the rehearsal as much as possible. Unless the room sounds bad, do it in the rehearsal space. No headphones.

The main difference would be that you'd try to achieve some measure of separation of the different elements. I'd done some 4 and 5 piece bands where we put 4 x 8 sheets of plywood or OSB or office cubicle dividers to use as a 'gobo' in front of the drummer and between the drummer and bassist. With the standup bass, you'd want to put some distance between the drums and bass as well as some dividers to minimize leakage. Guitar amps and such would be on the other side of the dividers facing away from the drums and bass. Use ordinary dynamic mics such as the Shure SM57 in order to reject the sound of the other instruments.

Then when working with the band members, ask the guitar player(s) to turn down somewhat from their normal volume. The idea is the keep the guitar and other loud elements out of the drum mics, and in your case the bass mic. If there's a way to plug the upright into a DI, that'd be great, at least in terms of getting a nice solid signal without a bunch of drums and guitar mixed in. If the upright is simply too quiet, consider overdubbing the part after the fact.

For vocals, turn the PA volume way down. The vocalist would do a 'scratch' track just the keep the band together. Then overdub the vocals with a better mic and do as many takes as needed. If there's a little vocal bleed from the scratch tracks into the drum mics, that usually just adds to the vibe.

As for the actual tracking, obviously everyone has to really pay attention to one another to deliver a nice tight track. If everyone listens to the drummer and and follow cues from the vocalist, you can get some nice tight tracks with good sound and reasonably good separation so you're able to do effective mixing.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Primitive Don; 01-09-2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: typo
Primitive Don is offline   Reply With Quote