Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 03-21-2018, 11:48 AM   #1
BillyG
Human being with feelings

Default Duplicate EZdrummer 2 Midi Track - Then Edit Midi

Hey Everyone,

I'm hoping someone has done this already.

Here's what I'm doing:

I record drums into Reaper by playing eDrums and triggering the EZdrummer 2 VST. I split the EZD2 into separate tracks going in.

I had a request to send someone a cymbals-only stem. However the cymbals are in the Overhead track so they have drum bleed - which is more realistic since that's how it would be recording an acoustic drum set.

Never the less - this is the request.

I've been told by the folks at Toontrack to copy the Overhead track and then clean out (delete) any of the midi that is not the cymbals and then render the audio to get a cymbals-only stem.

However, I was under the impression that all of the midi is in the main drum track. When I look at the individual drum tracks in Reaper (snare, kick, etc) I don't actually see any editable midi.

Does anyone have any thoughts and/or advise?

Thanks!
BillyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:32 PM   #2
EpicSounds

try muting the 'shells' in EZdrummer's kit screen so only the cymbals are heard
Old 03-22-2018, 10:17 AM   #3
ashcat_lt

The way Epic Sounds suggests is usually relatively quick and easy and the way I normally do it in a case where all the MIDI is on one track. Like go where you would choose which actual drum for each kit piece and just select none for anything you don't want to hear.

You might have a problem if you render one pass of the full kit and another with just cymbals. Depending on the humanization in EZD, the two Takes may not match exactly almost as if it was two separate performances. Again, I'm saying might. You might not notice or care.

Now you said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyG View Post
I split the EZD2 into separate tracks going in.
...but from the rest of your post it leads me to believe you're actually splitting the audio coming out of EZD. All the MIDI going into EZD is on one track. You could explode that out to separate tracks for each MIDI note or groups of MIDI notes or whatever.

Actually, is there a way to just mute MIDI events?
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:19 AM   #4
BillyG

I'm using the Post Rock EZX with Original Mix as the basis for the drums as this allows for each drum on a separate channel.

However, there is no bleed adjustment (or shell mute function) in the EZD2 mixer for this. At least none that I can find.
BillyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:23 AM   #5
ashcat_lt

Yeah, not in the mixer.

Go to the Drums tab. Click the triangle on each drum and select "None". If you're using a preset, you can just pull that back up when you want to revert.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote