Old 11-17-2017, 01:47 PM   #1
kneipp123
Human being with feelings

Default super 8 midi control

hello folks. i can not get this to work , at all. i tried 2 different keyboards and checked the midi note number. tried different midi channels and so on.

my intention was to have an input like for example guitar. and then i want to have 8 white keys from the midi keyboard to start and stop the loops. so i set the midi input to all midi inputs all channels, and send it to super 8. but it does not respond. i am probably doing something wrong.

any ideas?
kneipp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:59 AM   #2
solger

Do you have the Record Arm Button and Input Monitoring enabled for the Track with the MIDI Keyboard as input?

You might find some additional hints here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiSTeVlinAg

If this doesn't solve the problem, can you please post more details or a screenshot of how your current Track routing chain looks like in Reaper (from the MIDI keyboard to Super 8).

Last edited by solger; 11-18-2017 at 02:08 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:40 AM   #3
kneipp123

i think i solved it. thanks
Old 11-18-2017, 07:02 AM   #4
kneipp123

well. i didnt solve it. but i watched the video at 13.00 he explains using the virtual midi keyboard to trigger the loops. but its not entirely clear to me what he is doing. he make another track for midi informations, and sends this to the super 8 track then he makes a send from the super 8 to the midi track? unfortunately i cant get it working.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:36 AM   #5
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneipp123 View Post
well. i didnt solve it. but i watched the video at 13.00 he explains using the virtual midi keyboard to trigger the loops. but its not entirely clear to me what he is doing. he make another track for midi informations, and sends this to the super 8 track ...
Basically 2 Tracks are used for this:

Track 1: Input: MIDI (from your MIDI Keyboard)
Track 2: has Super 8 loaded, Input: Audio (from your Guitar)

Then a Send from Track 1 to Track 2 is made, so the MIDI Input from the keyboard (Track 1) is routed through to Super 8 (on Track 2)

As a side note:

Make sure that the MIDI notes are played in the correct octave in order to match the note numbers in the Super 8 cells.
As example for cell 1:

- Record: MIDI note number 36 -> triggered by C1
- Play: MIDI note number 37 -> triggered by C#1

Quote:
... then he makes a send from the super 8 to the midi track?
Can you post a timestamp where this is shown in the video?

Last edited by solger; 11-18-2017 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:59 AM   #6
kneipp123

thanks for a perfect explanation. i followed your instructions which are simple and understandable. but still not working. i am using the virtual keyboard.

and when i use reacontrol midi on both tracks, and see if the notes are registered nothing shows up in the midi activity log.

i see red flashing indicating midi activity in track one, but no activity or note number in the log. when using a vst synth everything works as expected, exept that i get nothing in the midi log

when i expand the virtual midi keyboard to full screen i can see that c2 is note number 36 which should respond to channel 1 on the super 8 looper.

and still not working.

also when rewatching the video its clear that he did the same thing as you explained in text.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:06 AM   #7
solger

Quote:
i am using the virtual keyboard.

and when i use reacontrol midi on both tracks, and see if the notes are registered nothing shows up in the midi activity log.

i see red flashing indicating midi activity in track one, but no activity or note number in the log. when using a vst synth everything works as expected, exept that i get nothing in the midi log
Track 1 needs to have both the Record Arm Button and Input Monitoring enabled. Otherwise it won't register any MIDI Input (from external controllers or Reaper's Virtual MIDI Keyboard).
Are those two buttons enabled in this case?

In general, you can also check Recording and Input Monitoring settings by doing a right-click on the Track Record Button.

If this doesn't solve the problem, maybe you can attach just the .RPP Project File (you don't need to include any audio files) to a post. So I can take a closer look at it and check if there are any settings missing in your project: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=140670

Last edited by solger; 11-18-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:13 AM   #8
kneipp123

thank you! that was the problem. i forgot to monitor input. i feel stupid now. but at least problem is solved. thanks alot
Old 11-18-2017, 08:20 AM   #9
solger

Quote:
thank you! that was the problem. i forgot to monitor input. i feel stupid now. but at least problem is solved. thanks alot
OK, great

And don't worry about it. Other forum members (including myself) have also overlooked certain settings at some point. These things can happen to anybody.
The more important thing is to remember it for the next time

Last edited by solger; 11-18-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:31 AM   #10
kneipp123

yeah, thanks. i will save the project so i can look it over later. i try to spend time to solve stuff myself before i come posting , but this one was really annoying, and the answer so simple. thanks again