Old 11-15-2018, 06:55 PM   #41
Jae.Thomas
Human being with feelings

I certainly wish we have a script which can find and disable plugins which are latency inducing.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:50 AM   #42
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Ladder View Post
I wouldn't use the feature myself. Personally, I don't feel the need to do this automatically, and I very seldom use high latency stuff while I actually perform/record. Still, my own needs aren't the needs of everyone , and I can see how this could be nifty in a different workflow, so I was commenting on some misleading remarks and simply misunderstandings that were taking away from what the OP actually proposed.
Gotcha. And I guess it makes sense. Depends more on the individual`s mindset and workflow than anything else.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:19 AM   #43
Miul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
ReaPack/mpl_Toggle bypass all project FX with latency (PDC) higher than X samples
Hi,

Is this something where you can put your own value? I just updated it but I could not find it.
I can only find as lowest latency 256 and I think 128 is really needed.
If you could...

Cheers
Miul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:07 PM   #44
andrew grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miul View Post
Hello,

can anyone tell me if there is a similar function to low latency mode, where all the plugins with high latency gets bypassed in order to be able to record new synths (or audio) part?
This is just for future reference. VST's have progressed to the 3rd level in so that latency is no longer a problem. Reaper can use these 3 generation VST's. For what it's worth Reaper can NUGE (N on the keybord) 1 millisecond at a time left or right.
andrew grove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:12 PM   #45
Miul

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew grove View Post
This is just for future reference. VST's have progressed to the 3rd level in so that latency is no longer a problem. Reaper can use these 3 generation VST's. For what it's worth Reaper can NUGE (N on the keybord) 1 millisecond at a time left or right.
I guess we're talking about 2 different latency. I'm referring to the one for recording, kind of creating a direct monitoring for people like me, that don't use as a main audio card, one that has it.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:56 PM   #46
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
ReaPack/mpl_Toggle bypass all project FX with latency (PDC) higher than X samples
THIS IS AMAZING FUCK YES
Old 11-23-2018, 07:16 AM   #47
andrew grove

Quote:
I guess we're talking about 2 different latency. I'm referring to the one for recording, kind of creating a direct monitoring for people like me, that don't use as a main audio card, one that has it.
It sounds like you have the monitor (software switch on the track) turned on. Try turning it off. Enjoy Andrew
Old 11-23-2018, 07:33 AM   #48
Judders

Quote:
You're talking about PDC, rather than bypassing plugins that introduce latency for overdubbing.

The Logic implementation is very simple and neat - a speedometer button on the transport that bypasses all plugins that introduce latency beyond the audio buffer amount.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:13 AM   #49
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
bypasses all plugins that introduce latency beyond the audio buffer amount.
Weird. What should the two values "an individual plugin's PDC" and "buffer size" have to do with each other ? (Apart from that both contribute to the sum latency.)

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:35 AM   #50
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Weird. What should the two values "an individual plugin's PDC" and "buffer size" have to do with each other ? (Apart from that both contribute to the sum latency.)

-Michael
It could well be me not understanding how it works.

I'd always presumed that latency was a matter of thresholds, rather than being additive. ie. if a plugin introduces less latency than the audio buffer, the total system latency is unchanged, or if I have 100 plugins with 30 samples of latency, I still only have 30 samples of latency added.

Are you saying that if I have a buffer of 256 samples, and I instantiate a plugin with 32 samples of latency, I now have a total latency of 288 samples?
Old 11-24-2018, 02:01 AM   #51
Miul

Quote:

I'd always presumed that latency was a matter of thresholds, rather than being additive. ie. if a plugin introduces less latency than the audio buffer, the total system latency is unchanged, or if I have 100 plugins with 30 samples of latency, I still only have 30 samples of latency added.

Are you saying that if I have a buffer of 256 samples, and I instantiate a plugin with 32 samples of latency, I now have a total latency of 288 samples?
I think you are actually right. But I'm not a tech expert of the matter.
I only know that with some other softwares you push a button and you're done.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:02 AM   #52
Miul

Quote:
It sounds like you have the monitor (software switch on the track) turned on. Try turning it off. Enjoy Andrew
...and then how am I supposed to monitor?
Old 11-24-2018, 03:07 AM   #53
Judders

Quote:
I only know that with some other softwares you push a button and you're done.
The good news is that you can do the same in REAPER!

You need ReaPack to have the script mentioned by mpl, but once you have that you can bind it to a toolbar button and have the same functionality as Logic, minus being able to differentiate between virtual instruments and audio tracks... because REAPER doesn't make that distinction.

I don't have time to watch this video, but hopefully it includes binding scripts to toolbar buttons. If not, you'll have to do some googling:

Old 11-24-2018, 05:56 AM   #54
mpl

You can also bind it to MIDI/OSC control.
I added 64 and 128 samples to metapackage.

Quote:

I remember (can be wrong) it quanized to the power of two so

256+32=512
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:13 AM   #55
andrew grove

Quote:
...and then how am I supposed to monitor?
Try recording without listening to what you are recording and just the per-recorded stuff in playback mode. If you can't do that then I'd check my hook up.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:41 PM   #56
Miul

Quote:
Hi MPL,

I've been using your feature with some degree of success.
There are 2 main problems. In order to make sure the latency feature is on, I need to open a window plugin that gets bypassed, that by toggling I can be sure where I am. This is actually not too much of a problem even because you can definitely hear the difference.

The second matter is way more important. While recording I had a crash...and the toggling was gone. Same if you close the session exhausted from recording and forget to toggle back. You will loose all the positions.

Any fix or suggestions you can add on this one?.

Cheers
Old 12-15-2018, 01:24 PM   #57
Dstruct

Quote:

I'd always presumed that latency was a matter of thresholds, rather than being additive. ie. if a plugin introduces less latency than the audio buffer, the total system latency is unchanged
Correct.

Quote:
or if I have 100 plugins with 30 samples of latency, I still only have 30 samples of latency added.
Only if you have 1 plugin per track (on 100 tracks).

100 plugins on 1 track gives 7680 samples total latency at the moment - see https://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=968 - optimum would be 3072 samples.

Quote:
256 samples total latency.

Last edited by Dstruct; 12-15-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 01:38 PM   #58
Jae.Thomas

that script doesn't always work right for me - it doesn't certain plugins back ON. Maybe I need to try a different value
Old 12-16-2018, 12:11 AM   #59
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post
256 samples total latency.
Has this changed then? Because it would appear that MPL is correct: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....824#post375824

The total buffer would be 256 + 32 = 512 samples, because only whole blocks are used.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:11 AM   #60
Aeolian

Yep, Reaper sets the latency to whole blocks.

If your buffer is 256, having four plugins with 32 samples latency will give a pdc of 256.

Hell, having just 1 solitary plugin, with a plugin latency of 1 sample, will still give 256.

So, 8 plugins (with a latency of 32 samples) will still give a pdc of 256, but adding a 9th instance will push the pdc to 512.

Your pdc is always a multiple of your buffer size.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:33 AM   #61
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
Yep, Reaper sets the latency to whole blocks.

If your buffer is 256, having four plugins with 32 samples latency will give a pdc of 256.

Hell, having just 1 solitary plugin, with a plugin latency of 1 sample, will still give 256.

So, 8 plugins (with a latency of 32 samples) will still give a pdc of 256, but adding a 9th instance will push the pdc to 512.

Your pdc is always a multiple of your buffer size.
Thanks for the clarification!