Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 12-06-2017, 05:36 AM   #1
needtopractice
Human being with feelings

Default New Mac Scarlett 18i20 setup help

It's been a long time since I put together a recording rig. In reference to how long? It was a Windows based 5.3.1 version of be pro tools with a Digi 001 interface.
Now I have a MacBook, non pro, that I'm looking to run with a focusrite Scarlett 18i20 in to the Mac. I'm not able to get the info I need to confirm this will all work together smoothly. Bring new to Macs I'm not even certain how to hookup the Scarlett with the Mac. Is it a simple USBc to USB 2.0 adapter that is needed? Or is there a compatibility issue there?
Also I'm not sure if there is a special soundcard needed. My be digi001 had it's own card .
ANY an all info regarding a setup like this would be appreciated. Even if there is a bette, similar, interface out there.
Thanks guys. I look be forward to delving into to Reaper.

Jim.
needtopractice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #2
Vasily

Quote:
Originally Posted by needtopractice View Post
Is it a simple USBc to USB 2.0 adapter that is needed?
if your non-pro macbook has only one USB-C port (for devices and charging), the way to go is some kind of device that will give you at least one USB port and USB-C for charging at once. Apple makes one, but there is only one port there. you may need a USB MIDI keyboard or something else, like a flash drive or external disk. there are third-party USB-C docks that have more than one port, but running a recording device in a USB hub with other devices seems not like a good idea to me.

frankly I won't advice to make a recording studio around a weak computer (1.2GHz and one USB port).

Quote:
Also I'm not sure if there is a special soundcard needed.
other than the recording interface? nah, it's old days. you just plug in a thunderbolt/usb device and that's it.
Vasily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:55 AM   #3
serr

Some of the Macbooks have decent specs (unless you mean the newest generation of low end "Macbook" that has circa 2001 specs). Which Macbook? All but the oddly anemic and overpriced new gen Macbook have USB2 (pre 2012) or USB3 (2012 and later). Even a 2006 first gen 2GHz Macbook will let you do a lot. Maybe not live sound for a large stage or one of the gigantic modern orchestral sampler/synth plugin suites, but small projects all day long.

Pre Retina Macbook? Upgrade the stock HDD to a SSD.
Retina Macbook? Careful with the screen! ($350 to repair. They removed the protective glass shield for cost reduction.)
The new USB-C only Macbook with iphone-like specs (or circa 2001 specs) and all ports and everything else gutted on it? Um... still have the receipt?

I still think the 15" "Pro" models are more bang for the buck but I wouldn't just write off all 13" Macbooks as weak in general.

Last edited by serr; 12-06-2017 at 10:04 AM.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
vdubreeze

I have several MBPs and the 13" mid 2009 is a total workhorse for what it goes for. Downside is USB2 only, along with FW800 and early gen Tbolt, but I use it all the time for its portability, and FW800 makes up for lack of USB3 when transferring large amounts of files. And while it's not a heavy hitter processing-wise I take it on multitrack remotes and use it for editing and it doesn't hiccup when working within its scope. They go for $350 on craigslist. Fill it with RAM and a good SSD and it's a good deal for a Reaper laptop.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:05 AM   #5
needtopractice

Got the specs. How do they look?

2017 12 inch retina
1.2 GHz Intel core m3
8Gb 1867 MHz LPDDR3
Mac HD
Intel HD Graphics be 615 1536 MB
needtopractice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:15 PM   #6
serr

Quote:
Got the specs. How do they look?

2017 12 inch retina
1.2 GHz Intel core m3
8Gb 1867 MHz LPDDR3
Mac HD
Intel HD Graphics be 615 1536 MB
It would be cutting edge in 2001. Very low powered today. Elegant hardware and all and more or less modern graphics but not purposed for heavy CPU lifting. It would be a poor choice IMHO for a dedicated recording rig. You could get a used machine for a tenth of the price with modern specs and the ability to swap drives around in and so forth. The 2017 Macbook has the hard drive permanently soldered in, they removed the glass screen shield, they removed the magsafe power connection (charge it through a USB-C port), and the battery is glued in with strong double sided tape.

However, Reaper can make efficient use of old or low powered hardware. If you already have it for other reasons, try it out. If it handles what you're trying to do then all the above diatribe is meaningless.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote