Old 03-21-2010, 09:08 AM   #41
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slops View Post
thanks for the reply justin.

here's the old way ripple edit worked. in this video you can see as i move to the left, all my work to the right stays the same and intact. anything i run into while moving to the left gets picked up and cleared. moving to the left this way lets me clear out a section if i need to, but more importantly any work i've done after the ripple edit point is safe and will stay intact regardless of what i do. that is the most important thing for me here. everything after the 35 minute mark in my project stays the same position wise as a whole...(also any new items from the left that are picked up and moved by the ripple edit i immediately know they are all located at the beginning of my ripple point in case of new overlaps)
http://www.screencast.com/users/sixl...5-7e58ebea54db

The problem here, is that it is not in fact destroying the items as you move left -- it is just attaching them to the ripple, so the items end up stacking up at the ripple time. Right?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #42
slops
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
The problem here, is that it is not in fact destroying the items as you move left -- it is just attaching them to the ripple, so the items end up stacking up at the ripple time. Right?
yeah, when i meant destroying the items i meant destroying their placement. which i am completely fine with, and works great that way (i wouldnt want ripple edit to actually destroy the items if i move to left, i'd rather do that on my own). if i move to the left with ripple edit on i know any new files i touch and move are all going to be located at that same ripple point. its predictable and i can be mindful of it should i happen to move too far left. with this behavior i know everything to the right of the ripple edit point stays safe and intact as a whole.

but with the new behavior if i move too far left files from one scene are now overlapping with another scene and its a huge disaster. if for some reason this were to happen and i didn't realize it until after doing a bunch of work on other scenes and/or saving multiple times i would be dead.
slops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #43
slops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Are there other behaviors changed that you think are detrimental? If so what are they?
i think most of these behaviors hinge around the main new behavior that i just described in my earlier post.

+ Ripple editing: better behavior when using ctrl+drag copy of items

in the new behavior, if i ctrl-drag now an extra copy is left not moving, while the rest of the files do move. this means while i'm ripple editing a scene all of a sudden one random file is not moving with the rest of the scene and is therefore always going to end up being in an incorrect spot. not a show stopper, but not really better either.

old behavior: http://screencast.com/t/Yzg0NzE1MD
new behvior: http://screencast.com/t/Y2EzN2Fk

+ Ripple editing: better behavior moving items left/right followed by up/down

i could not notice what was different with this behavior.

+ Ripple editing: better behavior when moving items left (will not grab existing items)

this was the behavior i posted about earlier

+ Ripple editing: fixed ripple all moving via action, with locked items affecting rippled markers

again i did not notice what was changed here. i did not see any difference in locked items affecting any markers, but i'm sure this is just 100% user error on my part.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #44
Tallisman

*edit: ignore this it has been addressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slops View Post
thanks for the reply justin.

here's the old way ripple edit worked. in this video you can see as i move to the left, all my work to the right stays the same and intact. anything i run into while moving to the left gets picked up and cleared. moving to the left this way lets me clear out a section if i need to, but more importantly any work i've done after the ripple edit point is safe and will stay intact regardless of what i do. that is the most important thing for me here. everything after the 35 minute mark in my project stays the same position wise as a whole...(also any new items from the left that are picked up and moved by the ripple edit i immediately know they are all located at the beginning of my ripple point in case of new overlaps)
http://www.screencast.com/users/sixl...5-7e58ebea54db
Slops please note in that video, on the 8th track down, the items that are rippled over are not cleared as indicated by the cross-fade... they are there, only underneath just as in Justin's video.

or, am I seeing things?

greetings
.t

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"

Last edited by Tallisman; 03-21-2010 at 09:46 AM. Reason: oops... should have read down.
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:31 AM   #45
slops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
*edit: ignore this it has been addressed.

Slops please note in that video, on the 8th track down, the items that are rippled over are not cleared as indicated by the cross-fade... they are there, only underneath just as in Justin's video.

or, am I seeing things?

greetings
.t

i realized this when i wrote that post. when i was saying cleared, i meant the items' positions were cleared (not that the actual items were deleted). i guess poor choice of words on my part.

i know you saw that justin addressed my wording of this a couple posts earlier, but i'll edit my original post so no one else misreads what i meant.
thanks.