Old 04-22-2018, 06:13 PM   #1
songsj
Human being with feelings

Default Managing track takes

Do any of the tutorials explain how to manage track takes. Example. I sing a certain section of a song that I have split and made an item and sing it several times. I get that I an just highlight the take I like best and it wioll play through but can I delete the rest of the takes I am not using or do I have to render the whole track to a stem?
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:08 PM   #2
EpicSounds

Hi !

Have you seen this one?

https://reaperblog.net/2015/05/worki...kes-in-reaper/

"can I delete the rest of the takes I am not using"

You can crop to active take, delete takes individually, or in the options menu set only the active take visible. "Options> Show all takes in lanes OFF "
Old 04-23-2018, 12:34 AM   #3
songsj

I guess another way to do it is to just insert/add several tracks, say 5 or 6,
And use each track as a take. Then you can pick the best track/take and edit/fix from there. When done render to a stem and either delete or move the unused takes to the bottom of the project so they are out of the way. Just a thought. I am kind of used to working this way so it is pretty easy for me.
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:15 PM   #4
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by songsj View Post
I guess another way to do it is to just insert/add several tracks, say 5 or 6,
And use each track as a take. Then you can pick the best track/take and edit/fix from there. When done render to a stem and either delete or move the unused takes to the bottom of the project so they are out of the way. Just a thought. I am kind of used to working this way so it is pretty easy for me.
It is possible to work this way but using takes is much more convenient and speeds up your work. Using separate tracks requires a lot of extra clicks and manoevers like grouping, muting/unmuting, soloing/unsoloing. It's slowing down the process a lot. Once you get used to using the takes workflow it's quick, easy and flexible. Picking the most appropriate recording mode in a give situation (like "time selection auto-punch" or "auto-punch selected items") helps a lot. Once you've found the best comp, lock all items in question to not accidently mess up that comp.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:41 PM   #5
LugNut

Hi,
What was said above, but add a button on your main tool bar to show/hide takes. Its a beautiful thing.

Last edited by LugNut; 04-23-2018 at 04:22 PM.
LugNut is online now   Reply With Quote