Old 07-29-2018, 07:56 AM   #1
JDOD
Human being with feelings

Default Problem with Tascam US16x08

Hi I've recently got a US16x08 and I'm getting a problem recording with Reaper.

Note, I've previously used a Line6 UX2 and Foscusrite 2i2 both on this computer and an older one which was much worse with no problems - I'm not trying to do anything particularly clever!

Basically, when I record my recording ends up delayed, behind the beat, like I'm either a terrible player or having a severe latency issue. The redline below is the first beat of my song.

I'm actually direct monitoring and not DAW monitoring and I've played this a number of times to check, its not just me missing the beat!

My latency settings in Reaper say 6.8/15ms, but I don't think its to do with that anyway as the delay in my recording is much worse than that!

The mixer in the UX16x08 settings is set to True Bypass.

Any help would be great as this is driving me crazy now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Behind the Beat.JPG (9.7 KB, 571 views)
JDOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:48 PM   #2
JDOD

Since posting the original post I've gone back and tried using both a Line6 UX2 and a Focusrite 2i2. Both worked fine straight away.

Needless to say, I tried reinstalling all of the Tascam drivers and such like. No Dice.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:13 PM   #3
TheMaartian

I've had some issues with occasional high latency on mine. What I think causes it is a mismatch between sample rates (44.1 and 48). Once I get both sides (VI and driver) to agree, the latency issue goes away. Sometimes, I have to change one, and then change it back even if both LOOK LIKE they're the same sample rate.

Oh, and I avoid the mixing driver like the plague.
TheMaartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:30 AM   #4
JDOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaartian View Post
I've had some issues with occasional high latency on mine. What I think causes it is a mismatch between sample rates (44.1 and 48). Once I get both sides (VI and driver) to agree, the latency issue goes away. Sometimes, I have to change one, and then change it back even if both LOOK LIKE they're the same sample rate.

Oh, and I avoid the mixing driver like the plague.
Ah, cool. I'm pretty sure I've checked that but its definitely something to look out for. Curious though, what you mean by VI and driver? The Tascam driver seems to be locked at 44.1, I have Reaper also set to 44.1. What you mean by VI?
Old 07-31-2018, 02:32 AM   #5
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOD View Post
My latency settings in Reaper say 6.8/15ms, but I don't think its to do with that anyway as the delay in my recording is much worse than that!
Misplaced recorded material always comes from incorrectly guessed or manually set latency. Independent from the absolute value of latency DAW can align material properly, assuming it knows and interpret correctly hardware parameters and the workflow.

1. Check in the Audio/Device that you are using ASIO mode. Anything else is looking for troubles with latency

2. Check in the Audio/Recording the last section, "Use audio driver reported latency" should be normally set. If nothing else works / you can not use ASIO, you can switch to the manual mode and set these parameters by hands.

The explanation: DAWs normally assume you "play along" already recorded material, so you listen what is played (Output delay) and play in sync with that (Input delay). So DAWs assume they should put recorded material "Input + Output" back in time. If that parameters are detected incorrectly, you observe the displacement (can be in both directions).

Tascam latest interfaces should report these parameters correctly, but that is only guarantied in ASIO mode. Check that you have the latest drivers. You can also check real latency using loopback test: https://www.oblique-audio.com/free/rtlutility (better switch off your monitors, if some settings are wrong, your setup can produce rather loud sound...).
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:30 AM   #6
JDOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
Misplaced recorded material always comes from incorrectly guessed or manually set latency. Independent from the absolute value of latency DAW can align material properly, assuming it knows and interpret correctly hardware parameters and the workflow.

1. Check in the Audio/Device that you are using ASIO mode. Anything else is looking for troubles with latency

2. Check in the Audio/Recording the last section, "Use audio driver reported latency" should be normally set. If nothing else works / you can not use ASIO, you can switch to the manual mode and set these parameters by hands.

The explanation: DAWs normally assume you "play along" already recorded material, so you listen what is played (Output delay) and play in sync with that (Input delay). So DAWs assume they should put recorded material "Input + Output" back in time. If that parameters are detected incorrectly, you observe the displacement (can be in both directions).

Tascam latest interfaces should report these parameters correctly, but that is only guarantied in ASIO mode. Check that you have the latest drivers. You can also check real latency using loopback test: https://www.oblique-audio.com/free/rtlutility (better switch off your monitors, if some settings are wrong, your setup can produce rather loud sound...).
Danke, mate. Yeah, I am definitely using ASIO and I have the driver reported latency checked. That's why I'm so confused by this. The recorded latency I'm getting is huge (~200ms) and seems like it might be variable too.

I'll try this test you suggest on the weekend.

I'm convinced that for some reason the Tascam isn't really using ASIO (even though its set to and says that it is!) as the problem disappeared when I plugged in the old Line6 UX2 and Focusrite 2i2.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:16 AM   #7
JDOD

Also, I had a reply for Anderton's support (my retailer). They suggest that I try a different USB cable. Don't know if this is plausible but I'll try it on the weekend.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:19 AM   #8
azslow3

Quote:
Also, I had a reply for Anderton's support (my retailer). They suggest that I try a different USB cable. Don't know if this is plausible but I'll try it on the weekend.
Hardware problems (including the cable) can produce fancy results. So that is worse to try in case things are not working properly.

Also try:
I) install separate Portable REAPER and try there, with new empty project. That will eliminate any influence of your current settings
II) try to set WASAPI Exclusive mode
III) do you have or ever had ASIO4ALL installed? That sometimes helpful and great utility under some conditions produce strange and not understood effects with real ASIO drivers. If you have it, at least disable Tascam in its configuration. But with bad luck, that or even uninstalling it will not help...

200ms is out of any reasonable range, something should be horribly wrong for such delay. With US and REAPER on not ancient (younger the 10 years) computer, it should be possible to have around 10ms overall latency.

PS. there are $300 digital pianos, e-drums, guitars, computers and audio interfaces. Till the last item in the list, most people understand that for such money that is going to be a toy. In reality an audio interface for such money is also just a toy.
I am a home player, not even semi-pro. Till I have bought BabyFace Pro, I could not understand why I need it.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:38 AM   #9
JDOD

Thanks I'll try these things when I am back home on the weekend.

Anderton's have said I can just sent it back and change to a Focusrite if I can't get this to work.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:12 AM   #10
TheMaartian

Quote:
Ah, cool. I'm pretty sure I've checked that but its definitely something to look out for. Curious though, what you mean by VI and driver? The Tascam driver seems to be locked at 44.1, I have Reaper also set to 44.1. What you mean by VI?
Verify your default sample rate settings in Windows. Right-click on the speaker icon in the lower-right corner of the taskbar and select 'Sounds'. Click on the 'Playback' tab, highlight the default Windows audio driver, click on the 'Advanced' tab and confirm/update the sample rate as desired. Do the same for the US-16x08 ASIO driver. I ignore the Mixer driver. It's limited to 16-bit audio.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:16 AM   #11
TheMaartian

Quote:
Sorry for any confusion. I was thinking about the standalone versions of your virtual instruments, not the VST versions (which get their sample rate from the host). They have audio and MIDI settings. The audio settings sample rate needs to agree with the sound driver sample rate.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:26 AM   #12
Stella645

There is another thread with a 1608 user that seems to be having exactly the same problem.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=209109
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:32 AM   #13
JDOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
There is another thread with a 1608 user that seems to be having exactly the same problem.

Well, you can set that guys mind at ease about Reaper being the problem. I've been using Reaper for about 10 years! Tascam is the problem.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:41 AM   #14
JDOD

Quote:
Sorry for any confusion. I was thinking about the standalone versions of your virtual instruments, not the VST versions (which get their sample rate from the host). They have audio and MIDI settings. The audio settings sample rate needs to agree with the sound driver sample rate.
Mutha-Fucka! Check this out!
I don't know how to insert an image but you can click on it.
I won't be able to try this out until thursday night when I get home but its the first thing that I've noticed that I think might actually work!

It will have switched to 48000 from 44100 'cos I was working on some video to make a YouTube video recently.

I'll post back if it works on Thursday night or Friday morning (UK time).

Next thing I have to work out is how to stop things flipping to 48000 when I am working on video. Annoying that this affects the Tascam - it hasn't affected my other interfaces... if indeed this proves to be the problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Realtek BitRate.JPG (59.8 KB, 544 views)
Old 07-31-2018, 10:44 AM   #15
JDOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post

Stella, we have a possible solution on this thread now if you want to direct the other guy here

I should try being more active in the Reaper community really, I've been using it for ages!
Old 07-31-2018, 12:45 PM   #16
TheMaartian

Quote:
Mutha-Fucka! Check this out!
I don't know how to insert an image but you can click on it.
I won't be able to try this out until thursday night when I get home but its the first thing that I've noticed that I think might actually work!

It will have switched to 48000 from 44100 'cos I was working on some video to make a YouTube video recently.

I'll post back if it works on Thursday night or Friday morning (UK time).

Next thing I have to work out is how to stop things flipping to 48000 when I am working on video. Annoying that this affects the Tascam - it hasn't affected my other interfaces... if indeed this proves to be the problem.
Problem: Only the mixing driver is showing up, not the ASIO driver. You will always get a ton of latency through the mixing driver.

Go here and download the latest v2.11 driver (Software tab) and the installation instructions (Documents tab) if you don't have it already.

https://tascam.jp/int/product/us-16x08/download

IIRC, the 16x08 USB needs to be disconnected when installing the driver.

You may need to uninstall your current driver and reinstall, even if it's the same version.

To insert an image, use the img tags:

[img]the URL of the image[/img]
Old 07-31-2018, 12:47 PM   #17
JDOD

Quote:
Problem: Only the mixing driver is showing up, not the ASIO driver. You will always get a ton of latency through the mixing driver.

Go here and download the latest v2.11 driver (Software tab) and the installation instructions (Documents tab) if you don't have it already.

https://tascam.jp/int/product/us-16x08/download

IIRC, the 16x08 USB needs to be disconnected when installing the driver.

You may need to uninstall your current driver and reinstall, even if it's the same version.
I think that's just cos I'm not at home so dont have the tascam with me. It's there when I'm at home. I have a UX2 in my travelling bag as I work away in the week.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:01 AM   #18
JDOD

Update - None of these fixes suggested have worked. I'm going to send it back to Anderton's and see if I can swap it for a Focusrite!
Old 01-18-2019, 09:05 AM   #19
TheMaartian

My 16x08 just took a swan dive into the La Brea tar pits.

I've had nothing but trouble since the 1809 update to Win10. I don't know what MickeySoft did, but my early 2012 Dell XPS 8500 had a nervous breakdown. Almost every hardware driver blew up. Had to replace the printer (even older than the Dell). Looks like I'm going to have to replace the ethernet adapter.

I had to reinstall the Tascam driver and now it refuses to connect via ASIO. I have to run it as a Windows device. Super unhappy.

Looking at Focusrite's new Clarett 4Pre USB since I can't afford an RME i/f.

Grrrr.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:26 PM   #20
TheMaartian

Welp, Tascam US-16x08 be gone.

I reinstalled my old PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL that I'd replaced with the Tascam over 3 years ago. I'd bought the Tascam because the 44VSL driver failed completely under Win10. PreSonus dropped the VSL support and ship a basic ASIO driver as part of Universal Control.

UC was updated to v2.92 a couple of weeks after the Win10 1809 update that blew up my Tascam. It's working EXCELLENT! I'm no longer dropping frames in YouTube!

At least the Tascam's not a white elephant. It can be used as an 8-channel mic pre only. Maybe I'll be able to use again it some day.