Old 01-16-2019, 10:02 PM   #1
Ctd
Human being with feelings

Default Assign outputs per item

Hi,

Please forgive me if this has been asked before, I couldn't find anything.

I work at a mastering studio and the head engineer has begun using Reaper on certain projects.

Our boss is now trying to work out a way where we can assign outputs per item. For example, make the track 6 channel, assign item 1 to output 1-2, item 2 to 3-4, item 3 to 5-6 so they can be treated differently but appear on the same timeline.

Is there a way of doing this? I'm thinking there has to be a JS plugin or something....

Thanks

Chris
Ctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:06 PM   #2
jrengmusic

You could create a simple routing JSFX for each individual item. Then add them for each item accordingly. But..

If you need to process each item individually, why not just use FX chain for item take?
Old 01-17-2019, 03:16 AM   #3
Ctd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrengmusic View Post
You could create a simple routing JSFX for each individual item. Then add them for each item accordingly. But..

If you need to process each item individually, why not just use FX chain for item take?
He wants to be able to have a group of faders per item for doing parallel processing, sort of like a separate mixer per item.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:36 AM   #4
jrengmusic

What’s the problem using track for each item?
Old 01-17-2019, 01:57 PM   #5
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctd View Post
Hi,

Please forgive me if this has been asked before, I couldn't find anything.

I work at a mastering studio and the head engineer has begun using Reaper on certain projects.

Our boss is now trying to work out a way where we can assign outputs per item. For example, make the track 6 channel, assign item 1 to output 1-2, item 2 to 3-4, item 3 to 5-6 so they can be treated differently but appear on the same timeline.

Is there a way of doing this? I'm thinking there has to be a JS plugin or something....

Thanks

Chris
Hey Chris, you may wanna try my free VST "SonicAxiom_Item router 8x stereo" to accomplish what you want (or your boss).

This plugin can route audio from individual items to other tracks. A 16x stereo version is also available and I could code a 32x stereo version if needed. The plugins are in VST format (simple .dll files only for Windows!).

You have to insert the plugin into the item's fx list. Other item fx are ignored if they come after this plugin. Track fx of the track the item is placed on are also ignored as soon as you choose a routing other than "1+2". You have to set up the track routing accordingly in the routing window of the track. Ideally, you have one track containing all items and put the plugin on the desired items. Then, you set the routing of the track to route channels above 1+2 to other tracks.

You can find this and other useful plugins on the free VST plugin page linked to in my signature.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by SonicAxiom; 02-05-2019 at 07:49 AM.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:11 PM   #6
MRMJP

I've also had this request in the mastering context for the sake of sending an item to my monitor controller before any item FX have been applied so I can A/B toggle between the totally unmastered file and the processed version or work in progress, right on the monitor controller.

I get around this by running a script that copies all items to a hidden track routed to another hardware output that digitally feeds my monitor controller but it can get messy if a new source file is needed, or if you have to edit the source file for some reason.

If your boss is getting serous about trying to master in REAPER, please have him/her chime in on this thread to help show the need for some mastering specific things that REAPER is currently missing and can't be scripted:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....rvF2cFgjvObNhA
Old 01-17-2019, 04:31 PM   #7
Ctd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
Hey Chris, you may wanna try my free VST "AW_Item router 8x stereo" to accomplish what you want (or your boss).

This plugin can route audio from individual items to other tracks. A 16x stereo version is also available and I could code a 32x stereo version if needed. The plugins are in VST format (simple .dll files only for Windows!).

You have to insert the plugin into the item's fx list. Other item fx are ignored if they come after this plugin. Track fx of the track the item is placed on are also ignored as soon as you choose a routing other than "1+2". You have to set up the track routing accordingly in the routing window of the track. Ideally, you have one track containing all items and put the plugin on the desired items. Then, you set the routing of the track to route channels above 1+2 to other tracks.

You can find this and other useful plugins on the free VST plugin page linked to in my signature.

Hope this helps!

Awesome this is just what we were looking for!

Thankyou!
Old 01-17-2019, 07:44 PM   #8
SonicAxiom

Great to read that it is the right plugin for your needs

Old 01-18-2019, 12:24 PM   #9
hopi

yea Sonic! yet again, what a great tool... many thanks for all you do.
your work is a sweet boost to the reaper world.

This is a function that should be made into a native reaper thing. Without your .dll I don't see anyway to accomplish sending items to other channels
Old 01-18-2019, 12:37 PM   #10
hopi

Sonic.... just a question about the 16x item channel router

Imagine putting two instances of the .dll on one item, one set to output to 3+4 and the second set to 9+10, with the intent to send out to two different other tracks as receives...

I find we can't really do that... only one instance can be operational at a time....

so I wonder if it is possible to change the .dll so that it would work this way???

PS: I see that I can sort of do it by adding the 9+10 outs to the plugin itself in the routing window... and then setting the receive tracks accordingly.... still it would be more clear if the plugin itself could allow for multiple instances of itself on an item

Last edited by hopi; 01-18-2019 at 12:42 PM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:48 PM   #11
SonicAxiom

Thanks a lot for your kind words, hopi!
Glad that the plugin is useful for you. You are right, the plugin is currently designed to only allow a single routing destination. I'll see if I can change this.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:02 PM   #12
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
Sonic.... just a question about the 16x item channel router

Imagine putting two instances of the .dll on one item, one set to output to 3+4 and the second set to 9+10, with the intent to send out to two different other tracks as receives...

I find we can't really do that... only one instance can be operational at a time....

so I wonder if it is possible to change the .dll so that it would work this way???

PS: I see that I can sort of do it by adding the 9+10 outs to the plugin itself in the routing window... and then setting the receive tracks accordingly.... still it would be more clear if the plugin itself could allow for multiple instances of itself on an item
here you have the "SonicAxiom_Item multi-router 8x stereo":

This plugin can route up to 8 "send busses" from a single item simultaneously. I added a volume fader and also a mute feature for each "item send bus".

you can download the plugin from my VST plugins page linked to in my signature. I'm currently working on the 16-bus item multi-routing plugin version (does any human being need this???).

Last edited by SonicAxiom; 02-05-2019 at 07:50 AM.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:02 PM   #13
hopi

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your kind words, hopi!
Glad that the plugin is useful for you. You are right, the plugin is currently designed to only allow a single routing destination. I'll see if I can change this.

thanks.... it's certainly not a life and death thing but it would be a kewl feature if you find a way.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:29 PM   #14
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
thanks.... it's certainly not a life and death thing but it would be a kewl feature if you find a way.
see post above yours

Old 01-18-2019, 06:31 PM   #15
MRMJP

This looks cool.

So can I insert this plugin first in my Item FX chain to send a copy of the raw item sound to a bus and eventual hardware output?

If so, that would provide a great way to have a fully unmastered signal to toggle to for A/B comparisons on my monitor controller.

I suppose I could install it and see but how is the latency and transparency on this plugin?

If I were going to use this in a mastering context, I would want it to be super light on CPU and latency, and not have any sonic impact on the sound whatsoever because after this plugin, the audio would continue on to my actual item FX and analog gear for mastering, so I would not want this plugin to impact the sound in any way.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:55 PM   #16
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
This looks cool.

So can I insert this plugin first in my Item FX chain to send a copy of the raw item sound to a bus and eventual hardware output?

If so, that would provide a great way to have a fully unmastered signal to toggle to for A/B comparisons on my monitor controller.

I suppose I could install it and see but how is the latency and transparency on this plugin?

If I were going to use this in a mastering context, I would want it to be super light on CPU and latency, and not have any sonic impact on the sound whatsoever because after this plugin, the audio would continue on to my actual item FX and analog gear for mastering, so I would not want this plugin to impact the sound in any way.

Yes, put an instance on every item that you'd like to route.
Routed signals nulled in all my tests. Code/dsp is very simple math and very few lines. Volume faders will not alter the signals at all if set to minus inf. or 0 dB (samples are multiplied either with factor 0 or 1), yielding absolute transparency. When faders are used to trim the volume they have 64 bit FP accuracy (same as every Reaper fader). CPU shows no significant load even with plenty of instances on a lot of items. Please test it under your conditions and report back.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:13 PM   #17
SonicAxiom

here's a null test:

Old 01-18-2019, 07:54 PM   #18
MRMJP

Quote:
Yes, put an instance on every item that you'd like to route.
Routed signals nulled in all my tests. Code/dsp is very simple math and very few lines. Volume faders will not alter the signals at all if set to minus inf. or 0 dB (samples are multiplied either with factor 0 or 1), yielding absolute transparency. When faders are used to trim the volume they have 64 bit FP accuracy (same as every Reaper fader). CPU shows no significant load even with plenty of instances on a lot of items. Please test it under your conditions and report back.

Thanks. I'll try this on a mastering session over the weekend and see if it's something I can add to my daily mastering workflow and session template.

Now I just have to learn how to do busses in REAPER As silly as that sounds, since I'm not mixing in REAPER, just mastering, I have never had a need for a buss.

I'll report back once I can try this out.

Thanks again.

Last edited by MRMJP; 01-18-2019 at 09:17 PM.
MRMJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:33 PM   #19
SonicAxiom

here's routing window of the "item" track in my example: