Old 01-14-2019, 06:57 PM   #1
saroking
Human being with feelings

Default Cant Figure out bad buzz

I have just started using Reaper after switching over from Audacity and my recordings sound like this: https://soundcloud.com/jcslaflame/01-190112-2007a

My gear is a XENYXUSB802 mixer/audio interface plugged into my computer through a USB cable. My computer is a Dell Inspiron i7559-2512BLK 15.6 Inch FHD Laptop (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and my bass is a Squire Jazz Bass but the same sound occurs when recording from my strat or just from a mic. I have a pair of Sony Dynamic Stereo Headphones MDR-7508 for listening back to my music, from the audio interface. The sound is not present when I’m listening to myself live, only when recorded.

I’ve been trying to do some research and I’ve found that it could be a grounding problem or electrical interference problem. I have tried unplugging all the electrical appliances in my basement (where I’m recording), turning off my phone, switching the plug and the surge protector that my Audio Interface is plugged into, and switching the cables that I’m using, none of which have worked. The reason that I mentioned that I was previously using Audacity was because this “buzz” problem didn’t happen on audacity (but I would like to use Reaper, it seems better for what I want in recording.) I hope this is enough info for some help.
saroking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:53 PM   #2
serr

It's not a buzz or anything analog in origin. That's the sound of digital mayhem with more dropouts than audio samples passing through. I'll guess that you were using the built-in cuemix mixer in your audio interface when you were trying to record and thus were unaware of the corrupt audio going to the computer.

Check your audio interface settings!
Anything from trying to run with too small a block size for what your system can handle to improper clock settings to sample rate mismatch between devices could cause dropouts like this.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:33 PM   #3
saroking

My sample rates were not matched up, I feel sorta dumb I did all that other stuff.

But, thank you!
saroking is offline   Reply With Quote