Old 05-02-2018, 09:49 AM   #1
Triode
Human being with feelings

Default v5.81pre5 - May 2 2018

v5.81pre5 - May 2 2018
  • + Actions: fix selection behavior for various "Item edit: item under mouse cursor" actions
  • + MIDI editor: fix restore of macOS menu after renaming note [p=1984944]
  • + Paste: fix paste with more than 32 empty tracks between items [t=206222]
  • + ReaEQ: support NamedConfigParm BANDTYPEx and BANDENABLEDx
  • + Undo: defer undo point for single-click media item selection
  • + Undo: flush any latent undo states before project save
  • + Undo: improve cursor position undo point behavior
  • # MIDI editor: fix update of linked selection after doubleclick open on Windows [p=1985111]
Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Old 05-02-2018, 10:02 AM   #2
HighVoltage

What happened to "open all midi in the project" ?

No matter how i change the settings, i can't get reaper to open all the clips in the midi editor.
I double click an item, and only it's sole content is disaplayed.

If i double click on an item, after i have already opened it, or click an other item on an different track, THEN it goes back to how it was, and shows all the other content dimmed.
HighVoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:06 AM   #3
HighVoltage

Also:

All midi clips now remember it's window position, and every view setting inside.
Like CC lane size, and Media item lane and Track list.

This is absolutely unwelcome for people using only one screen. As each item i open, i have to set each setting again and again. Not to mention the window jumps all over the place.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:08 AM   #4
EvilDragon

You should then use one MIDI editor per project...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:34 AM   #5
vitalker

While we are on midi editor, I have a question: shouldn't "View: Zoom to content" zoom to notes/cc lines? Now it zooms to whole item including all loop iterations.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:37 AM   #6
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltage View Post
What happened to "open all midi in the project" ?...If i double click on an item, after i have already opened it, or click an other item on an different track, THEN it goes back to how it was, and shows all the other content dimmed.
i have a project that i created earlier in this pre cycle whose project-midi editor won't show midi from other tracks. copying this midi to another project has the same issue. opening a different project's midi editor created with a later pre shows all project midi. new projects created perform as desired, as well.

note that copying the midi data out of midi items from the problematic project into new projects results in desired behavior. it really seems like one of the rare occasions where the pres aren't necessarily forward compatible. so it goes.
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:10 PM   #7
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
i have a project that i created earlier in this pre cycle whose project-midi editor won't show midi from other tracks. copying this midi to another project has the same issue. opening a different project's midi editor created with a later pre shows all project midi. new projects created perform as desired, as well.

note that copying the midi data out of midi items from the problematic project into new projects results in desired behavior. it really seems like one of the rare occasions where the pres aren't necessarily forward compatible. so it goes.
Can you send the project?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:11 PM   #8
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Also:

All midi clips now remember it's window position, and every view setting inside.
Like CC lane size, and Media item lane and Track list.

This is absolutely unwelcome for people using only one screen. As each item i open, i have to set each setting again and again. Not to mention the window jumps all over the place.
Hmm not sure i follow this.

Last edited by Justin; 05-02-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:46 PM   #9
Sju

Getting this weird scroll behavior in MIDI editor with an octave duplicate action:

Screencap from fresh portable of 5.81p5

Also getting it constantly on my main 5.80

was able to duplicate on 5.79 portable by fiddling with the Piano roll timebase (draw note in source beats, switch to project beats and duplicate), but doesn't work anymore for some reason.
Sju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:24 PM   #10
mccrabney

Quote:
What happened to "open all midi in the project" ?
hey, try switching your midi timebase to Timebase: Beats (project) rather than source. in my case i had accidentally ticked source somehow.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:42 PM   #11
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sju View Post
Getting this weird scroll behavior in MIDI editor with an octave duplicate action:

Screencap from fresh portable of 5.81p5

Also getting it constantly on my main 5.80

was able to duplicate on 5.79 portable by fiddling with the Piano roll timebase (draw note in source beats, switch to project beats and duplicate), but doesn't work anymore for some reason.
Hmm ah got it, thanks.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:13 PM   #12
Soli Deo Gloria

Hey Justin, I´m noticing something that was introduced during this pre cycle : when using one editor per project and selection is not linked to editability, something has changed. Before, if you had various editable tracks and changed any of them to insert events, all of them would remain editable. Now, if you set a bunch of editable tracks one by one to insert events, they begin to be uneditable as you proceed. Do I make myself clear? If not, I´ll provide a licecap or something. It doesn´t happen in v5.80, and if it is by design on this cycle, it doesn´t seem to make sense as it doesn´t respect the bypass of the option to link selection to editability.

(This has been a difficult explanation to write in english)
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:53 PM   #13
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
Hey Justin, I´m noticing something that was introduced during this pre cycle : when using one editor per project and selection is not linked to editability, something has changed. Before, if you had various editable tracks and changed any of them to insert events, all of them would remain editable. Now, if you set a bunch of editable tracks one by one to insert events, they begin to be uneditable as you proceed. Do I make myself clear? If not, I´ll provide a licecap or something. It doesn´t happen in v5.80, and if it is by design on this cycle, it doesn´t seem to make sense as it doesn´t respect the bypass of the option to link selection to editability.

(This has been a difficult explanation to write in english)
It will now follow the preference "Make secondary items editable when opened from arrange view", -- if that box is set and you switch to another item on the same track (via the arrange view), that option will control whether the old item was left editable or not.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:23 PM   #14
Soli Deo Gloria

Well this explanation will be better served by two animated gifs :

This is the current behaviour with different editable tracks :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kms...ew?usp=sharing

And this is the behaviour up to v5.80 :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_0r...ew?usp=sharing

I think the old behaviour makes more sense. What do you think about it?
Old 05-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #15
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
Well this explanation will be better served by two animated gifs :

This is the current behaviour with different editable tracks :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kms...ew?usp=sharing

And this is the behaviour up to v5.80 :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_0r...ew?usp=sharing

I think the old behaviour makes more sense. What do you think about it?

Ahh the option right below the one i mentioned, “Avoid setting items on other tracks editable” or whatnot, disable that one...
Old 05-02-2018, 05:52 PM   #16
mpl

Thanks Justin, seems working!

Soloing bands using ExtState for saving temporary band states also works nice!
Moving bands - digging some dealing with envelopes and parameter modulation chunks, TCP controls (hope I didn`t forgot what else can be related).
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:09 PM   #17
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Ahh the option right below the one i mentioned, “Avoid setting items on other tracks editable” or whatnot, disable that one...
That's it! Thanks for the tip, Justin, there's always an option in Reaper to set whatever is needed!
Old 05-02-2018, 07:14 PM   #18
srdmusic

Default Secondary Item Bug

There is a bug when editing multiple midi items CC data in this version.

Test:

1. Create two midi items on two seperate midi tracks.

2. draw CC dat in both midi items.

3 Open both items in the midi editor so that you can see both items at once. 'One midi editor per project needs to be turned on/check so that you can see both items CC data in the editor.

4. Select the CC data of both items either with the mouse or by using the key command 'select all'

5. Click to drag the CC data up or down.

BUG: The secondary CC data errors out and defaults to zero while the focused midi item moves up and down properly.

I can post a photo of the error for anyone that can't get the above test procedure to reproduce the bug.
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:22 PM   #19
srdmusic

Quote:
Hmm not sure i follow this.
I'm having a similar problem. When I open the midi editor Reaper used to remember my last saved state of the window position and which lanes were visible. Since v5.8 I'm seeing the window open all over the place. I then have to reposition it to full screen almost every item I open.

Is there a way to have Reaper save a default window layout for the midi editor that always comes back the same way unless the user intentional opened and moved to a different part the screen.

If not. There should be a global 'screen set' of sorts for the midi editor that is saved with the project and then Reaper only changes that if in the session the user decided to open an item and move the editor. Once the editor is moved then that will be the new global position of the midi editor. I can't think of any useful way that each item should open the midi editor to a different part of the screen.

I hope that makes more sense Justin.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:22 PM   #20
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdmusic View Post
There is a bug when editing multiple midi items CC data in this version.

Test:

1. Create two midi items on two seperate midi tracks.

2. draw CC dat in both midi items.

3 Open both items in the midi editor so that you can see both items at once. 'One midi editor per project needs to be turned on/check so that you can see both items CC data in the editor.

4. Select the CC data of both items either with the mouse or by using the key command 'select all'

5. Click to drag the CC data up or down.

BUG: The secondary CC data errors out and defaults to zero while the focused midi item moves up and down properly.

I can post a photo of the error for anyone that can't get the above test procedure to reproduce the bug.
Thanks, got it!
Old 05-02-2018, 08:23 PM   #21
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdmusic View Post
I'm having a similar problem. When I open the midi editor Reaper used to remember my last saved state of the window position and which lanes were visible. Since v5.8 I'm seeing the window open all over the place. I then have to reposition it to full screen almost every item I open.

Is there a way to have Reaper save a default window layout for the midi editor that always comes back the same way unless the user intentional opened and moved to a different part the screen.

If not. There should be a global 'screen set' of sorts for the midi editor that is saved with the project and then Reaper only changes that if in the session the user decided to open an item and move the editor. Once the editor is moved then that will be the new global position of the midi editor. I can't think of any useful way that each item should open the midi editor to a different part of the screen.

I hope that makes more sense Justin.
Is this on win32 or mac? Can you send your reaper.ini to support at cockos dot com? Thanks!
Old 05-03-2018, 06:31 AM   #22
HighVoltage

Quote:
Is this on win32 or mac? Can you send your reaper.ini to support at cockos dot com? Thanks!
For me it was on Windows 64.
But now i wanted to create a test project, but launched a previous version of Reaper to test how it behaved before, and now i can't replicate either of my bugs i have mentioned in the latest release.

Seems to be working now with the exact same settings as before. Go figure.

If i run into it again i will report.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:02 AM   #23
HighVoltage

EDIT:
I think i got this now.
So:

"Make secondary items editable.." is linked to "Avoid automatically setting..", and these both only have sense if "Selection is linked to editability" is OFF.

I think the options menu should be restructured so these options are in the right order and hierarchy. They even should grey each other out if applicable.

It's EXTREMELY confusing right now.

From what i gather, these options follow each other logically:

"Selection is linked to editability" [ ]
-> "Make secondary items editable.." [X]
---> "Avoid automatically setting.." [X]

BEFORE EDIT: -------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
It will now follow the preference "Make secondary items editable when opened from arrange view", -- if that box is set and you switch to another item on the same track (via the arrange view), that option will control whether the old item was left editable or not.
I really don't get what does "Make secondary items editable..." do. (I have one midi editor per project to open all midi)
I have tried 9 different combinations, but that option has no impact on anything.

If "Active midi item follows selection changes" is ON, that option does not let me edit other clicked items on arrange view.

If "Active midi item follows selection changes" is OFF, i can always edit other clicked items no matter where i set that option.

If "Selection linked to editability" is OFF, then that option has no meaning, cause everything is editable anyway.

Last edited by HighVoltage; 05-03-2018 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:46 AM   #24
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
"Make secondary items editable.." is linked to "Avoid automatically setting..", and these both only have sense if "Selection is linked to editability" is OFF.
This is half right -- "Make secondary items editable..." is effectively ignored if "Selection is linked to editability" is enabled.

"Avoid automatically setting..." is not ignored, though; if you have this enabled, it will override the selection/editability link to prevent items in other tracks from being editable (unless you manually make them editable in the track list etc).

Quote:
If "Active midi item follows selection changes" is OFF, i can always edit other clicked items no matter where i set that option.

If "Selection linked to editability" is OFF, then that option has no meaning, cause everything is editable anyway.
The "active midi item follows selected changes" and "selection linked to editability" are independent and have certain interactions if both enabled. The former causes the *active* context to change, the latter causes the *editability* of a given (secondary) context to change..
Old 05-03-2018, 07:54 AM   #25
HighVoltage

Ah, ok, thanks!
Old 05-03-2018, 08:11 AM   #26
jbraner

Quote:
This is half right -- "Make secondary items editable..." is effectively ignored if "Selection is linked to editability" is enabled.

"Avoid automatically setting..." is not ignored, though; if you have this enabled, it will override the selection/editability link to prevent items in other tracks from being editable (unless you manually make them editable in the track list etc).

The "active midi item follows selected changes" and "selection linked to editability" are independent and have certain interactions if both enabled. The former causes the *active* context to change, the latter causes the *editability* of a given (secondary) context to change..
There must be an easier way than this - no?
Maybe sometimes it's better to *not* have too many choices
jbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:22 AM   #27
HighVoltage

Ok now i finally found that zoom bug i couldn't replicate.

I still don't know what causes this. Some clips just don't keep the zoom level.
Project file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h6cp9ui8z2...BUG_3.RPP?dl=0
Midi settings:
https://prnt.sc/jd9krz

Open the first item called "OK"
Set any zoom setting
Close and reopen the midi editor - it should keep that zoom level in all subsequent editors right?
Now close the editor and open the "NOT OK" clip.
The zoom is much further out.

If you glue that item, it will work as it should.

Worth mentioning, the original content of that midi clip was opened from external MIDI files, and was put into multiple takes. I have attached the original clip with the takes if it helps.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:32 AM   #28
HighVoltage

Bug 2:

Midi notes can't be pasted to the leftmost edge of the midi item

Open the previous project:

Copy some Notes of "OK" clip
Create empty midi clip
Set cursor to start of new item
Paste notes
First note disappears

This also happens to "Duplicate events one octave higher", if the selected note is at leftmost (x.1.00) position
Old 05-03-2018, 08:32 AM   #29
snooks
Banned

Re the Track List auto-zoom, could it not auto-zoom when clicking on items please, just auto-scroll? Maybe auto-zoom on a second click? At the moment Track List items are still a no go zone for members of the Zoom Preservation Society.

ps, the 4 beat minimum is definitely an improvement. If auto-zoom had max setting that could be "current zoom level" as well as 4 bars or whatever that would be hunky dory too.
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:56 AM   #30
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Ok now i finally found that zoom bug i couldn't replicate.

I still don't know what causes this. Some clips just don't keep the zoom level.
Project file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h6cp9ui8z2...BUG_3.RPP?dl=0
Midi settings:
https://prnt.sc/jd9krz

Open the first item called "OK"
Set any zoom setting
Close and reopen the midi editor - it should keep that zoom level in all subsequent editors right?
Now close the editor and open the "NOT OK" clip.
The zoom is much further out.

If you glue that item, it will work as it should.

Worth mentioning, the original content of that midi clip was opened from external MIDI files, and was put into multiple takes. I have attached the original clip with the takes if it helps.
Thanks! Fixing, it's due to the fact that the PPQN is different in the two items
Old 05-03-2018, 08:59 AM   #31
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooks View Post
Re the Track List auto-zoom, could it not auto-zoom when clicking on items please, just auto-scroll? Maybe auto-zoom on a second click? At the moment Track List items are still a no go zone for members of the Zoom Preservation Society.
It only zooms if the item is completely out of view, though, right?
Old 05-03-2018, 09:19 AM   #32
snooks
Banned

Yes, that's correct it does indeed auto-scroll to out of view items which is wanted/expected. It's the auto-zooming which is the issue, zoom level being a personal preference when working with varyingly sized item and MIDI editor window sizes (eg auto-zoom in small docked window vs maximised isn't the same thing for the same item).
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:29 AM   #33
mawi

Default Remember last save path?

Open a MIDI item in the MIDI Editor and export it as a new file. Go to "File > Export to new MIDI file...". Enter another path and save. Now open another MIDI item and export it. You will notice that the last path was not taken over and you will have to enter the same path again. Since I have to save 100 MIDI items individually, it is very cumbersome to have to enter the same path again and again, which the export window does not remember. Can this be changed?

P.S.: Of course it would be especially nice if I could export several MIDI items at once as separate MIDI files. But I think that's impossible, is it?

Last edited by mawi; 05-03-2018 at 10:37 AM.
mawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:38 AM   #34
mccrabney

^ in case you aren't already using a trick for this, a workaround ive used in the past is to drop a shortcut to the desired path in the default save path

you might also use ctrl alt drag to pull midi files to explorer
Old 05-03-2018, 12:01 PM   #35
mawi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
^ in case you aren't already using a trick for this, a workaround ive used in the past is to drop a shortcut to the desired path in the default save path

you might also use ctrl alt drag to pull midi files to explorer
Thanks for the tricks! Too bad I can't drag MIDI items into Media Explorer to save MIDI files there (same for audio items).
Old 05-03-2018, 12:49 PM   #36
HighVoltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawi View Post
Open a MIDI item in the MIDI Editor and export it as a new file. Go to "File > Export to new MIDI file...". Enter another path and save. Now open another MIDI item and export it. You will notice that the last path was not taken over and you will have to enter the same path again. Since I have to save 100 MIDI items individually, it is very cumbersome to have to enter the same path again and again, which the export window does not remember. Can this be changed?

P.S.: Of course it would be especially nice if I could export several MIDI items at once as separate MIDI files. But I think that's impossible, is it?
Listary is your friend.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:19 PM   #37
jbraner

Quote:
Listary is your friend.
I've never heard of it - but it looks interesting. I'll have to play with it tomorrow
jbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:22 PM   #38
mawi

Quote:
Listary is your friend.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 05-03-2018, 04:07 PM   #39
srdmusic

Quote:
It seems to have fixed it self in the latest version. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:33 AM   #40
Sju

Quote:
+ Undo: flush any latent undo states before project save
I wonder what this does... I recently had a weird bug where undo suddenly jumped back in time a whole lot more than it was supposed to, with no way to recover that work of a couple minutes. Pretty scary. I wonder if this is related, but it could've been a bad ReaScript too.
Sju is offline   Reply With Quote