Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 03-27-2018, 02:56 PM   #1
lb0
Human being with feelings

Default LBX SRD Smart Knobs script. Easily connect your midi controller to your plugins.

Hi All,

A collaboration between me and SRD who provided the impotus and ideas for this one.

https://github.com/L-B-X/LBX-SRD-Smart-Knobs

A simple idea for making your midi controller connect to specific parameters of whatever plugin has the focus.

So you simply focus a plugin - set up whatever parameters you like to control with your external controller, hit SAVE. Now whenever you focus an instance of that plugin - the midi controller always maps to the same parameters automatically.

To set up - simply create a track called __LBX_SKCTL. Note two underscores as with my stripper script.

Just like the Stripper script - simply add a LBX-Faderbox to this track. Assign your midi controller controls to the faderbox F1-32 parameters.

Then start the smart knobs script.

Then set up any and all plugins how you want them within the script - setting parameters to faders - hitting SAVE for each plugin when you're happy.

The 'L' button activates Learn mode. Simply click the controls in the plugin GUI in the order you want them in the list. I've noticed that it might not work until you have at least one param added - so I need to look into that.

Clicking on the plugin name activates Latch mode for the track the plugin is on.

Clicking REC button sets up the parameters for recording automation.

Last edited by lb0; 03-27-2018 at 03:30 PM.
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:24 PM   #2
RJHollins

This looks very interesting ! Especially being an lb0 creation
RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:51 PM   #3
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
This looks very interesting ! Especially being an lb0 creation
Thanks - not my idea though - but I did code it.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:03 PM   #4
foxAsteria

Good idea, and that's how I currently use my controller, but how is this different from natively learning parameters and using the "Enable only when effect configuration focused" option? Does this script need to be running always for the assignments to work?
Old 03-27-2018, 11:23 PM   #5
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Good idea, and that's how I currently use my controller, but how is this different from natively learning parameters and using the "Enable only when effect configuration focused" option? Does this script need to be running always for the assignments to work?
I've never used that option (never spotted it ) - but I'm assuming because the script can pass feedback to the controller (at the moment - depends on controller type I think - but can be expanded to work more widely) - the controller if it has the ability can monitor the values of the parameters (if it has encoders etc).

There's also potential to expand this to populate scribble strips on the controller (although not implemented yet) based on parameter. This would probably need controller dependent implementation though.

Also - I think this is probably more immediate than using the built in learn option (but guessing as never used it like this).

But yes - script needs to run all the time to work.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:42 PM   #6
foxAsteria

Hmm well this is a bit of a tangent, but maybe it's something you've come across working on this...can you conceive of a way to force plugins to float momentarily while you're tweaking the parameter? The other native option when learning parameters is that the assignments are only active when the host track is selected, which works great for EQ (EQ controls always work on the selected track, without needing to focus/float them first), but in such a case it would still be great to get the instant visual feedback while turning knobs.

Also, the native learned parameters can be stored as default for past and future instances of the same plugin. It stores this based on the plugin name in the fx browser, so it breaks if you rename the plugin. How is yours storing the assignments? If it was based on dll name, which is less likely to change, that could improve on the current system.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #7
DynamicK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb0 View Post
To set up - simply create a track called __LBX_SKCTL. Note two underscores as with my stripper script.
Just like the Stripper script - simply add a LBX-Faderbox to this track.
Do I insert the LBX-Faderbox as an Input FX or as a normal FX? Thanks
DynamicK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:40 PM   #8
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicK View Post
Do I insert the LBX-Faderbox as an Input FX or as a normal FX? Thanks
Hi. As a normal FX in the control track. Then - on opening the Smart Knobs script - it will detect the faderbox and use that track and faderbox to control your plugin parameters. So you just need to learn your controller to the faderbox parameters.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:08 PM   #9
DynamicK

@lbo Thanks for the info....I had it as an Insert FX ....The faders were acting all weird. Just inserted it as a normal FX and everything is working.

How does the feedback feature work?
Do I just select YES
Feedback CCs: I'm mainly using under CC numbers < 40
Feedback Channel. Midi channel my controller ( XTouch Compact) is sending on? Or it's global channel?
Old 04-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #10
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicK View Post
@lbo Thanks for the info....I had it as an Insert FX ....The faders were acting all weird. Just inserted it as a normal FX and everything is working.

How does the feedback feature work?
Do I just select YES
Feedback CCs: I'm mainly using under CC numbers < 40
Feedback Channel. Midi channel my controller ( XTouch Compact) is sending on? Or it's global channel?
Select yes to send feedback.

The CC options are 0-31, 32-63 etc. (for the 32 faders in the faderbox). I guess it depends on the controller what channel it receives on - it may be the same as the sending channel. I'm pretty sure SRD who I originally developed this for uses an XTouch - so it certainly should be able to talk back to the controller - I'm just not sure how he set it up - but the options should be there to get it working.

EDIT: Also of course you need to route MIDI from the control track to your controller.

Last edited by lb0; 04-13-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:01 AM   #11
DynamicK

Quote:
EDIT: Also of course you need to route MIDI from the control track to your controller.
Thanks. I'll try this later....... Midi feedback works but only to my faders.

Would it be possible for the script to work without the FaderBox having focus? I see that if I close the Faderbox window, I lose control over the plugin. The same happens if I close down the lua script. Could they run in the background?
(The native Reaper MidiLearn works in the background....I don't have to have any other windows open)
Just a thought.

Last edited by DynamicK; 04-15-2018 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Update
Old 01-31-2019, 06:48 AM   #12
SebyMusic

Default Where to put LBX-FaderBox(32x)

I d'ont understand where to put that file, can you please give me the full path please?

tks
Seby
SebyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:49 AM   #13
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebyMusic View Post
I d'ont understand where to put that file, can you please give me the full path please?

tks
Seby
It's a JSFX plugin - so it goes in your Reaper resources effects folder

eg.

/REAPER/Effects/LBX/
Old 01-31-2019, 06:53 AM   #14
jamesd256

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebyMusic View Post

tks
Seby
It's a JS extension, so in your Reaper resource folder under 'Effects'

https://reaperblog.net/2015/06/quick...ll-js-plugins/

If you're familiar with actions, you can get the folder to pop up with: "Show REAPER’s resource path in explorer/finder"
jamesd256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:57 AM   #15
SebyMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesd256 View Post
It's a JS extension, so in your Reaper resource folder under 'Effects'

https://reaperblog.net/2015/06/quick...ll-js-plugins/

If you're familiar with actions, you can get the folder to pop up with: "Show REAPER’s resource path in explorer/finder"
tks, working now
seby
Old 01-31-2019, 07:21 AM   #16
SebyMusic

Default Update feedback when TRACK is selected

Hi again, ok lets say I have my BCR2000 controller setup with 5 different plugins.
Then I have those 5 plugins inserted on 2 different tracks.
When I select the first track, is it possible to UPDATE the controller so I see the led showing me the status of each 5 plugins? And then, if I select the 2nd track, it should also UPDATE to show me the parameters of those plugins, but from the track 2.

tks
Seby

Update: so in other words, can we use the controller only by selecting the track we want instead of having to SEE the plugin open in reaper...

Last edited by SebyMusic; 01-31-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:56 PM   #17
Magic Man Mixing

Default Smart Knob Glitch

I would like to start by saying I am loving this script, it is amazing! Unfortunately I am having a small issue with the Smart Control. I am using 2 instances of Faderbox because I have 48 CC's set up, but I only have enough vertical monitor room to see the first 32 controls in the Smart Control window. If I use the scroll on my mouse it just jumps me to a different bank of controls that give me the error "...pplication Support/REAPER/Scripts/LBX_SRD_SmartKnobs.lua:173: bad argument #3 to 'TrackFX_SetParamNormalized' (number has no integer representation)" every time I try to assign something. I did eventually find them using the scroll wheel, but it is extremely glitchy. As soon as I scroll down it jumps to what seems to be that different bank of controls, because it shows 1-32 but the controls I have mapped are gone. If I keep scrolling then it scrolls smoothly down to 64, but if I try to map a control I get the error. But if I scroll down as slowly as I can it will sometimes jump back to where I can see the controls I have already mapped but I am a bit further frown the page. These can be mapped.

I put a video of what's happening on youtube here: https://youtu.be/jKstIMyGYoU

Thank you in advance for your help.
Magic Man Mixing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:09 AM   #18
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Man Mixing View Post
I would like to start by saying I am loving this script, it is amazing! Unfortunately I am having a small issue with the Smart Control. I am using 2 instances of Faderbox because I have 48 CC's set up, but I only have enough vertical monitor room to see the first 32 controls in the Smart Control window. If I use the scroll on my mouse it just jumps me to a different bank of controls that give me the error "...pplication Support/REAPER/Scripts/LBX_SRD_SmartKnobs.lua:173: bad argument #3 to 'TrackFX_SetParamNormalized' (number has no integer representation)" every time I try to assign something. I did eventually find them using the scroll wheel, but it is extremely glitchy. As soon as I scroll down it jumps to what seems to be that different bank of controls, because it shows 1-32 but the controls I have mapped are gone. If I keep scrolling then it scrolls smoothly down to 64, but if I try to map a control I get the error. But if I scroll down as slowly as I can it will sometimes jump back to where I can see the controls I have already mapped but I am a bit further frown the page. These can be mapped.

I put a video of what's happening on youtube here: https://youtu.be/jKstIMyGYoU

Thank you in advance for your help.
Hi,

I shall look into. The video is really odd - but it's probably something stupid. Perhaps due to you being on a Mac and me overlooking something.

I don't have a Mac - so if I'm struggling to see what it is - I may need to ask you some questions - thanks
Old 05-05-2019, 12:41 AM   #19
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Man Mixing View Post
Hi again,

If you don't mind - would you be able to PM me your email address - I'd like to send you a debug version of the script to try to spot what's going on - what I'm seeing in the video makes no sense to me - so I just want to know what values you are getting when the mouse wheel is moved on your system.

Thanks,
L.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:47 PM   #20
Magic Man Mixing

I would just like to say publicly that lb0 is amazing. He fixed my issue with ease. I can't thank you enough.
Magic Man Mixing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:23 AM   #21
J Riley Hill

Hey!
Have noticed something super interesting today re. The slowdown issue changing plugins in big projects. The slowdown (on my system at least) is not really related to CPU load, it's seemingly only related to the number of visible automation envelopes (or envelope points perhaps) in the project. Very strange!!

I've demonstrated here in this session with a bunch of random automation on reaEq, with all automation hidden the SRD Smart Control is super snappy. If I run the "show all envelopes for all tracks" action, the script immediately slows down to a couple seconds. I also tried this with double the tracks, and it went down to around a 15 second delay on every plugin change!!

J Riley Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:37 AM   #22
J Riley Hill

Default Copy of the project file

Here is a copy of a project which slows waaayyyyy down with the LBX SRD Script on my computer, to around 10 seconds every plugin change (I uploaded it to my site because it's pretty large from all the automation):
http://jrileyhill.com/REAPER/srdEnvelopeTest.rpp

Anyone who has time could try this project file with all envelopes hidden, AND all envelopes visible using the SRD script. I'm really curious if this is the same issue others have reported.

For now I can resolve this issue by only viewing the envelopes I need to see... but It would be great if this could be fixed eventually. I wonder if it's something Justin could take a look at.
J Riley Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:27 AM   #23
Treaper

Quote:
Hi All,

A collaboration between me and SRD who provided the impotus and ideas for this one.

https://github.com/L-B-X/LBX-SRD-Smart-Knobs

A simple idea for making your midi controller connect to specific parameters of whatever plugin has the focus.

So you simply focus a plugin - set up whatever parameters you like to control with your external controller, hit SAVE. Now whenever you focus an instance of that plugin - the midi controller always maps to the same parameters automatically.

Just like the Stripper script - simply add a LBX-Faderbox to this track. Assign your midi controller controls to the faderbox F1-32 parameters.

Then start the smart knobs script.

Then set up any and all plugins how you want them within the script - setting parameters to faders - hitting SAVE for each plugin when you're happy.

The 'L' button activates Learn mode. Simply click the controls in the plugin GUI in the order you want them in the list. I've noticed that it might not work until you have at least one param added - so I need to look into that.

Clicking on the plugin name activates Latch mode for the track the plugin is on.

Clicking REC button sets up the parameters for recording automation.
This looks really great!

Can you map 64 parameters to a VST plugin using 4 banks with the Midi Fighter Twister, ReaLearn & LBX, or is it only 16 parameters?

Also would a Presonus Faderport 8 work ok with this setup?

Thanks.
Treaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:43 PM   #24
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treaper View Post
This looks really great!

Can you map 64 parameters to a VST plugin using 4 banks with the Midi Fighter Twister, ReaLearn & LBX, or is it only 16 parameters?

Also would a Presonus Faderport 8 work ok with this setup?

Thanks.
Hi,

I can't speak for the ReaLearn setup method - but adding more FaderBox JSFX to the __LBX_SKCTL track will allow for more assignments.

The Faderbox built in feedback needs consecutive CC's programmable on the control surface in order to receive the feedback. With ReaLearn I assume it's more flexible.

I would guess it would work fine with the Faderport using ReaLearn if it's not possible to alter the CC assignments of the controls.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:47 AM   #25
joffre88

Hi, first of course thank you lb0 for this great utility! I just wanted to ask (sorry if this was addressed already but much content to digest here) if it is possible to have multiple mappings for same plugin? For example, there are rack type plugins like NI Guitar Rig which allocate parameters dynamically depending on what effects are present in rack. Having chorus and phaser would result in different parameters than chorus and flanger etc.

Now, I don't want to track what is being added and map those in real time, because that would be complicated and not essential. Instead, I imagine that I could create plugin with alias containing specific tag like "guitar rig __gr-chorus__" and then srd script would look for a mapping for "gr-chorus" instead of "<whatever guitar rig plugin id is>". Also, Isotonik's PrEditor for Live does something similar.
joffre88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:57 AM   #26
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by joffre88 View Post
Hi, first of course thank you lb0 for this great utility! I just wanted to ask (sorry if this was addressed already but much content to digest here) if it is possible to have multiple mappings for same plugin? For example, there are rack type plugins like NI Guitar Rig which allocate parameters dynamically depending on what effects are present in rack. Having chorus and phaser would result in different parameters than chorus and flanger etc.

Now, I don't want to track what is being added and map those in real time, because that would be complicated and not essential. Instead, I imagine that I could create plugin with alias containing specific tag like "guitar rig __gr-chorus__" and then srd script would look for a mapping for "gr-chorus" instead of "<whatever guitar rig plugin id is>". Also, Isotonik's PrEditor for Live does something similar.
Hi,

I'm pretty sure it can load a template depending on the plugin name in the MCP.

Under the settings menu - if you unselect the 'Use Module Name Detection' option - it will match by plugins name in the MCP - so you can have different templates for the same plugin (by renaming it).
Old 11-07-2019, 08:12 AM   #27
joffre88

Quote:
Hi,

I'm pretty sure it can load a template depending on the plugin name in the MCP.

Under the settings menu - if you unselect the 'Use Module Name Detection' option - it will match by plugins name in the MCP - so you can have different templates for the same plugin (by renaming it).
Indeed, haven't noticed it Actually, mixed behavior like I described above (depending on tag presence instead of global switch) seems more usable to me as if I disable module name detection then I can't use alias functionality for it's main purpose of fx labeling, because then every time srd sees something like "eq low cut" it will think this is separate mapping from normal eq.

Luckily now that I know which piece of code is responsible for this behavior (https://github.com/L-B-X/LBX-SRD-Sma...Knobs.lua#L890) I can work my way around it and implement tag lookup in fxname.
joffre88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:13 AM   #28
Treaper

Quote:
Hi,

I can't speak for the ReaLearn setup method - but adding more FaderBox JSFX to the __LBX_SKCTL track will allow for more assignments.

The Faderbox built in feedback needs consecutive CC's programmable on the control surface in order to receive the feedback. With ReaLearn I assume it's more flexible.

I would guess it would work fine with the Faderport using ReaLearn if it's not possible to alter the CC assignments of the controls.
Thank you for the reply, I have a Midi Fighter Twister on the way. I mentioned the Faderport, but in your opinion what would be the best motorized fader solution to complement the Midi Fighter Twister and Reaper? I should add that I would like to have fader control over plugin parameters, as well as the DAW mixer and automation.

Thanks.

Last edited by Treaper; 12-05-2019 at 06:57 AM.
Treaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:49 AM   #29
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treaper View Post
Thank you for the reply, I have a Midi Fighter Twister on the way. I mentioned the Faderport, but in your opinion what would be the best motorized fader solution to complement the Midi Fighter Twister and Reaper? I should add that I would like to have fader control over plugin parameters, as well as the DAW mixer and automation.

Thanks.
I've not had a lot experience with fader based controllers. The only one I have is the XTouch and XTouch extender - which should work ok with Smart Knobs 1 (SK1) - although would require Realearn method for feedback as they are not freely programmable (the Xtouch is fixed to MCU protocol messages generally).

SK1 itself will not be developed further to accomodate DAW mixer control (only bugfixes). BUT....

SK2 is in development and the XTouch and Xtouch Extender integrate perfectly with that, able to also automate the DAW mixer and trigger other things such as actions/insert automation items, Switch visible MIDI editor CC lanes and a whole host of other stuff - all freely programmable. (It's been in development with a number of composers such as SRD, Klangfarben, and _Stevie_ for over a year now).

When that is ready for release - it will work fine with any MCU protocol controller such as SSL Nucleus, as well as the XTouch and Extender (you can use up to four completely separate controllers in theory - more than that if their MIDI messages do not clash).

With a bit of work creating your own map file - should work with any MIDI based controller.

But as it's been designed with the XTouch in mind - that's a good place to start.

I'm still not sure when it will be released yet - it's working perfectly - but the complete feature set is not finished yet.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:37 AM   #30
Wilson

Quote:
I've not had a lot experience with fader based controllers. The only one I have is the XTouch and XTouch extender - which should work ok with Smart Knobs 1 (SK1) - although would require Realearn method for feedback as they are not freely programmable (the Xtouch is fixed to MCU protocol messages generally).

SK1 itself will not be developed further to accomodate DAW mixer control (only bugfixes). BUT....

SK2 is in development and the XTouch and Xtouch Extender integrate perfectly with that, able to also automate the DAW mixer and trigger other things such as actions/insert automation items, Switch visible MIDI editor CC lanes and a whole host of other stuff - all freely programmable. (It's been in development with a number of composers such as SRD, Klangfarben, and _Stevie_ for over a year now).

When that is ready for release - it will work fine with any MCU protocol controller such as SSL Nucleus, as well as the XTouch and Extender (you can use up to four completely separate controllers in theory - more than that if their MIDI messages do not clash).

With a bit of work creating your own map file - should work with any MIDI based controller.

But as it's been designed with the XTouch in mind - that's a good place to start.

I'm still not sure when it will be released yet - it's working perfectly - but the complete feature set is not finished yet.
Hey Leon, I hope you are doing well

I got a question: If I click on the plugin name in smart knobs the
automation mode changing to "Latch Preview"
Can you tell me how I can change that to "Latch Rec" or "Write" in the "Edit" script?

And I have read that the SK2 is in development.
Do you already know roughly when the script will be released?

Cheers
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote